Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-07-2013, 11:03 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just curious how many people here are not necessarily savants but have scored off the charts on math or logic type standardized tests? And maybe have a special obsession with numbers / finances and mild signs of Asperger syndrome? Have a background in finance, engineering or programming?

Wired magazine called it the Geek syndrome -
Wired 9.12: The Geek Syndrome

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg supposedly have signs of Aspergers. But I think maybe for some the money focus in the mild Aspie types is a math related "special obsession".
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Just curious how many people here are not necessarily savants but have scored off the charts on math or logic type standardized tests? And maybe have a special obsession with numbers / finances and mild signs of Asperger syndrome? Have a background in finance, engineering or programming?

Wired magazine called it the Geek syndrome -
Wired 9.12: The Geek Syndrome

I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing. Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg supposedly have signs of Aspergers. But I think maybe for some the money focus in the mild Aspie types is a math related "special obsession".
This is a great article. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
...(snip)...
The "problem" is that I've got 35+ times my annual burn rate in investable assets, I'm 54, so don't NEED to think about making money. But I can't stop!

The question to my wise friends here is...am I the only one?

--Dale--
No you are not, but are you just looking for confirmation or to change?

I have some activities that do not make money. One of these would be ruined (I think) if business were introduced into it. I think I've seen examples of this faulty thinking in others.

I've always thought that having at least one activity that was a pure exploration of my interest and ability would be cool. That would mean no money aspects in the activity that might muddy the waters. Generally when money is introduced you are asking others to vote (with their money) on your results.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #24

Quote:
And maybe have a special obsession with numbers / finances and mild signs of Asperger syndrome? Have a background in finance, engineering or programming?
Ah post number is 1024, jus mentioning it! ;^)

Perform P1000-Deny thru P1000-Deny-Exit
...........varying Index from WS100-1st-Excuse thru WS100-Last-Excuse
...........until WS200-He-Belives-Me.

veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post

What would fit my style would be to wake up each morning and pull a lever that would cause everyone in the three west coast states to give me a penny. They wouldn't miss it, nobody even picks them up in the street anymore. I'll give anyone who can make that happen for me half the money.
I would miss that penny - and hound you to get it back. Heck - that's $3.65/year. And $14.60 for my family. No siree - you don't get my pennies.

I also pick up pennies from the street.
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #26

Thanks, all, for your thoughts. I guess it's more common that I thought, at least with the folks here. I have a lot of noodling to do now to try and understand myself better.

--Dale--

Quote:
Originally Posted by bld999 View Post
Nah, I am one and no doubt many others here,... but I always think "what would make barrels of money and also be fun?" The happiest and most contented people I have heard of or known [not many] had that combination going.
Glad to know there's someone else out there with this "problem". But, yeah, if it ever starts sounding like "no fun", I have no problem dropping the idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
1.If you have kids or other beneficiaries, how much you want
to leave them
I consider my job with the kids done after I raised them and got them through college.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags View Post
2. How much value you place on being engaged in making money as opposed living life, if u have enough already
I try to think of ways to have fun "living life", then I realize, while I wasn't paying attention, my plan turned into how to have fun and make a few bucks, hehe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyp View Post
You might consider trying to live without monetary reward to explore what it is like.
Good idea. I don't have any real experience at it, it's all just thoughts and plans while I count-down these last few months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortInSeattle View Post
If you are driven because you think making money is really fun, then it's less problematic. Go have fun!
I think that's it. But I think I will sit with this thought for a time. I haven't done that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Hi Dale you are among friends here at money makers anonymous.
Thanks! Luckily I've not got the stock-picking bit of OCD, just other kinds, hehe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky911 View Post
build the boat
I just might make a project out of it. First, I'd need to travel the world to visit all of the other people that are building this specific kind of boat I'm looking at, though. That's the OCD..need to do it right if I'm going to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
Let's see: you actually don't have to MAKE money (OK, maybe some money), but you say you have a need to THINK about making money. So, if you didn't think about making money, what would you think about instead?
Yep, it's irrational. But what would I think about is a great question. Maybe I'm worried that if I didn't think about making money, I'd not be fulfilled. But then again, I could see myself forgetting the whole money making thing and concentrating on sailing and "just living".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
No you are not, but are you just looking for confirmation or to change?
I was honestly curious if other folks here found themselves drifting into money making aspect when they were planning their leisure. For me, it happens often. And of course "am I the only one" was hyperbole. But I did get my answer: it's very common with people here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
I have some activities that do not make money. One of these would be ruined (I think) if business were introduced into it.
That's huge. Because if it becomes "work", then it might become "no fun", even though it's exactly the same thing you thought used to be fun.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:45 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...(snip)...
That's huge. Because if it becomes "work", then it might become "no fun", even though it's exactly the same thing you thought used to be fun.
Making the activity a money maker has other ramifications. Suppose you are enjoying oil painting (plein air = outdoors painting) and you could see a way to display your works and make a few extra $'s. You'd have the satisfaction of competing and maybe winning in some "paintout's" and maybe being a noted regional artist. But many artists then start orienting their work towards what sells as opposed to what interests them. They might start slanting their works towards particular styles and subjects that are "in" at the time. So that is a fundamental problem I think.

Of course, there will always be people who want to combine their love of an activity with the real need to make a living. Some though including the OP would not need to do this. In that case I think they might be better off leaving the competitive playing field to the one's who need the $'s and concentrating on a purer form of that activity. At least that person should consider having one activity that might grow over time and that does not include $'s.

But if one just has to combine the activity with $'s then one should be aware of the hazards. One is unlikely to hurt anyone except themselves with the decision.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #28

Quote:
Maybe obsesssion is too strong.

The question to my wise friends here is...am I the only one?

--Dale--
I am also obsessed with making money. I just don't want to have to do anything to make it. FI!
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote