Cursive Writing?

Here is a nice link from hp that explains slide rule use. Basic Slide Rule Instructions

Thanks. I bookmarked it and will study later when at home and can practice. Higher math stuff is not my strong point and on the list of "World's Greatest Inventions" I think electronic calculators are right up there near canned beer.

I remember studying logarithms and doing exercises with logarithm tables when I was in ninth grade. Good thing that when I went to engineering school they allowed calculators. They made a big deal of it - ours was the first freshman class allowed to use them.

I think this form of slide rule is still in use! I'm sure there are more than a few people here that have one.
e6b_hires.jpg

I used a circular slide rule during my days as a submariner. We wore them around our necks with a shoestring through the center hole. Back then, the fire control system was very primitive and we did a lot of manual calculations to track targets and shoot torpedoes.

People will regret giving up old time "technology". I was the last one at work who could read the cursive writing in old deeds, and use any type of survey equipment that didn't require batteries. I'm afraid that future generations won't understand the fundamentals behind the new technologies. I've never seen the round slide rule. My straight one is on display with the other old instruments at my former workplace. I need to get it back.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Round ones are cool because they are smaller, but you pay the price with the "inner scales"

Interesting. There were so many of them, and they take so little space, that I'd think they'd be commonplace even now. I inherited what I think is a nice one that was my father's. It's in a nice leather case and is about three feet long. I haven't the foggiest idea of how to use it.

I will give you $5 for it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

To me the value of circular slide rules is never having to run off the scale. You don't have that error to deal with.

I was the last one at work who could read the cursive writing in old deeds

Still, that sort of thing can be learned.
When I started doing some genealogical research, I ran up against old German script that was completely unreadable to me. But I found a website with a tutorial for deciphering this sort of script. It's still hard work to figure it out, but at least it's possible.
For example:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 6.38.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-08-20 at 6.38.47 PM.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 11
Thanks. I bookmarked it and will study later when at home and can practice. Higher math stuff is not my strong point ...

OK Walt, here is an easy one.

you plus 2 of your bodies go to the early bird special. The Entree Combo is 13.95, and includes your drink. Sales tax is 6.5%. You wish to leave an 18% tip. How much do you leave on the table?

you plus 2 of your bodies go to the early bird special. The Entree Combo is 13.95, and includes your drink. Sales tax is 6.5%. You wish to leave an 18% tip. How much do you leave on the table?

Well, since I'm only paying for my own meal, and not tipping on the sales tax, the 18% tip would be 2.5, rounded down from 2.511. Confession: I did it with a calculator. Looking at the slide rule I got cross-eyed.

Well, since I'm only paying for my own meal, and not tipping on the sales tax, the 18% tip would be 2.5, rounded down from 2.511. Confession: I did it with a calculator. Looking at the slide rule I got cross-eyed.

You could have used algebra :) with the variables written in a nice cursive hand.

I would scratch 14 x 18 on a napkin (252...can almost do that in my head) and divide by 100...but that's just me.

I love writing in cursive. In 10 years it's going to be viewed as a secret squirrel coded language that only a few of us will be able to understand :)

Blue

Back
Top Bottom