Join Early Retirement Today

Cursive Writing?
Old 08-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Cursive Writing?

I was flipping through the TV today and stopped on the local news to marvel at the Monday AM traffic (well, marvel in the fact that I am not it it! ) and after the traffic report, they told us of a law that just went into effect in Alabama. Apparently, it is now mandated that public schools teach cursive writing. I am not sure what to think of this requirement but I am inclined to think this is a silly law. Is the skill of cursive writing even really relevant today? I thought about creating a poll...but it seems like folks around here don't like them...so I will just ask...

Cursive writing: Should it be required curriculum?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2016, 07:50 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I was flipping through the TV today and stopped on the local news to marvel at the Monday AM traffic (well, marvel in the fact that I am not it it! ) and after the traffic report, they told us of a law that just went into effect in Alabama. Apparently, it is now mandated that public schools teach cursive writing. I am not sure what to think of this requirement but I am inclined to think this is a silly law. Is the skill of cursive writing even really relevant today? I thought about creating a poll...but it seems like folks around here don't like them...so I will just ask...

they have way bigger problems in that state, but yes, I think students should learn to read and write the English language, in cursive
Old 08-01-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post

It's a waste of time, in my opinion. The vast majority of post baby-boomers do not use handwriting anymore at all (even quick notes are typed into the phone instead), and if they do, they certainly don't use cursive. Many more important subjects to spend class time on.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
It's a waste of time, in my opinion. The vast majority of post baby-boomers do not use handwriting anymore at all (even quick notes are typed into the phone instead), and if they do, they certainly don't use cursive. Many more important subjects to spend class time on.
you've obviously never graded written actuarial exams
Old 08-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #5
gone traveling

I'd rather see them focus on math and science.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:06 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
+1. Aside from signatures (I guess), cursive is obsolete, and often much harder to read than print. I haven't used cursive for 40 years, even though "penmanship" was required when I went to school. I'd rather see schools focus on math, tech literacy, programming, personal finance, even civics before cursive...

For those who think cursive should be taught, or even required, I am curious why?

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:18 AM   #7

Perhaps they need to demonstrate at least a cursive form of their own signature just in case a mortgage or something needs it.
Tadpole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
Perhaps they need to demonstrate at least a cursive form of their own signature just in case a mortgage or something needs it.
or writing checks....or filling out contracts....or
Old 08-01-2016, 08:23 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
For those who think cursive should be taught, or even required, I am curious why?
signing your name properly is part of being literate
Old 08-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #10

Cursive Writing

DW has her grad degree in Early Childhood Development. In posing the same question about the need to teach cursive handwriting - especially in the early elementary grades - her response is that learning cursive writing helps accelerate the development of small motor skills along with improving brain development in the areas of thinking, language and working memory.

Granted, cursive writing is not a "testable" skill in terms of Common Core, NCLB, etc., however, not all skills of value are measurable.
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Cursing is a useful skill...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
or writing checks....or filling out contracts....or
Why? I've not written anything in cursive, including checks contracts signatures, for almost 50 years. Ain't stopped me.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

My cursive was horrible so when my grade school teachers stopped requiring us to use it (not sure when, maybe HS), I switched to printing only, not that that was much more legible. This was back in the mid-late 1970s when word processing via PC was non-existent and typewriters were clumsy to use.

Other than my signature, I haven't used cursive since the early 1980s when during one summer as a day camp counselor I wrote out the kids' names in large cursive for their arts-&-crafts projects.

Just teach the kids to be able to sign their names although for women they'll have to remember how to use cursive for the rest of the alphabet should they get married and change their names.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #14

Isn't cursive writing currently used primarily for graffiti?

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Well, as to the argument that you have to "sign" your name in cursive...well, that's false. You merely need to make a "mark" My Dad's penmanship is pretty much unreadable and he doesn't want to sign documents. When I tell him that he can just put an X or whatever mark he wishes, he scoffs; I think this is one of the old wive's tales that just keeps on going.

I also did a quick search as to what states where cursive is required. I came up with Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Tennessee, Kansas, North Carolina and California. I would note that many of these states don't do a great job educating kids...so perhaps the time spent teaching cursive could be better spent teaching STEM subjects or even VoTech type subjects (which has fallen out of favor in many districts, unfortunately).
Old 08-01-2016, 09:00 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Cursing is a useful skill...
*##!!** right it is!

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:03 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

people need to be able to read cursive

if you can't read or write cursive then you are illiterate, imo
Old 08-01-2016, 09:07 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I'd rather see them focus on math and science.
+1

Considering some of the mind-boggling articles I've read concerning various laws or proposals coming out of the state of Alabama, I would say they need a LOT more focus on basic science and math. Teaching cursive these days would be akin to teaching kids how to use a slide rule. AL is consistently ranked in the bottom 10% of states when it comes to K-12 education. You'd think they would focus on teaching stuff that would actually improve kids' chances of getting into good colleges and going on to have successful careers.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:09 AM   #19

It's not like it's a choice between learning cursive and learning calculus and physics, this is a skill learned by little kids. A few minutes each day to teach and practice this when they are in, I don't know, second grade?

It's part of being a literate person.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:10 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
people need to be able to read cursive

if you can't read or write cursive then you are illiterate, imo
I don't think this is the case. If you *actually* write cursive the "correct" way, it looks an awful lot like print letters. If your cursive writing looks more like hieroglyphics then I would guess few people can read it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cursive.jpg (35.7 KB, 256 views)