Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can only speak as an average woman, but I have been mulling it over and I think I would like to see average women in clothing by designers like in the 1940's when my mother was a runway model. The women they used then were around average height (5'5") and sizes 8-10 was the common size to wear modeling, which was her exactly (plus, she was a beauty when she was young).
Personally, I have never ever been able to relate to the models in the magazines. I'm not tall, not lanky, have boobs and some meat. I can't even envision what I would look like dressed in the clothing those women are modeling ever. In fact, now that I think of it, I've always hated the body types they put in the clothing they expect average women like me to buy. It's stupid..and why? Just cause the clothes "hang better" on the tall, lanky, skinny, no boobs types.
I remember hearing this type of model would come into popularity when I must have been about 12-13, as well as, folk singing (something else I didn't like). Well, folk singing left, but they still use the non-average body type to model clothing they expect us average women to buy. Huh? Why hasn't this changed yet I wonder. Is the public asking to keep these tall, lanky types as models?

My vote is: Get some average sized women modeling again. I'd actually like to have an idea what the clothing would look like on my 5'5" size.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I always dated any girl that would have me

I couldn't understand how they could resist me, but they did

I mean, ladies, could you resist this?
Double dang...Alan...lookin' good...

Old 01-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Double dang...Alan...lookin' good...
wrong tense - "looked good"

Back on subject... I much prefer the look of curvy women than the classic bread sticks that model all the clothes you see on TV and in magazines.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, we don't look like we did years ago, but I think that's just fine. I prefer to have laugh lines. I bet you still have those smoldering eyes.

Ahem...so
Quote:
Back on subject... I much prefer the look of curvy women than the classic bread sticks that model all the clothes you see on TV and in magazines.
C'mon...don't you find this pic hot?.....

Old 01-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Well, we don't look like we did years ago, but I think that's just fine. I prefer to have laugh lines. I bet you still have those smoldering eyes.

Ahem...so

Well, now you mention it.... But then I have always had a thing for Twiggy
Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #46

Quote:
I always dated any girl that would have me
Obviously your DW knew what she was doing!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right tense...and mostly likely still do. Nice eyes...
Old 01-07-2010, 07:05 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Alan darlin'...I do believe you have a followin'.....
Old 01-07-2010, 07:08 PM   #49

Quote:
Alan darlin'...I do believe you have a followin'.....
aawwww, shucks!!
Old 01-07-2010, 07:15 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

These women are larger than my wife with her BMI of 23. As I am on the skinny side most of my life (BMI up to 25 now!), we are compatible. However, as I do not have a muscular build, I would not look attractive in a swimming trunk. That, I've got to admit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Why is it that guys want all their women to be trim even when they themselves aren't. Seems like the guys are the ones making the judgements here and probably because it's always the way the man wants his woman. Wonder what he thinks of himself...
Though I do not care about nor follow celebrities, many years ago, I happened to read what Cindy Crawford said in an interview, something along the above lines. Regarding what men demanded of women which they themselves lack, she said "Do men look at themselves in the mirror? Hello??".

I was impressed when I learned that she was valedictorian, and got an academic scholarship to study chemical engineering. She dropped out because modeling brought her easier money. Still a clever girl.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:27 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Repulsive? Hot? Yes? No? Help! I've fallen into one of her rolls of fat and I can't get up mode?
Not directly related to the above statement, but somehow brought to my mind, nevertheless, is the following story.

A silver haired gentleman went to church on Sunday without his wife, who stayed home sick with a flu.

He came home 2 hours later, sporting a black eye. Of course, his wife was alarmed.

"What did you do?" she asked.

He explained, "When the pastor had us standing up to sing a hymn, I saw that the woman in front of me had her skirt stuck between her cheeks. That didn't look right, so I reached over to pull the skirt out. I don't know what she thought I was doing, but she turned around and smacked me in the eye".

Next week, our gentleman had to go to church alone again, because his wife still wasn't well. She saw him out the door. "Remember to mind your manners", she reminded him.

He came back home later, with the other eye blackened.

His wife cried out, "What happened now?"

He sighed. "Can you believe that the same woman was in front of me again today? And when we stood up, yes, her skirt got stuck again. The guy next to me pulled it out. I knew that she wouldn't like it, so I reached over to tuck it back in".
Old 01-07-2010, 07:59 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
A silver haired gentleman went to church on Sunday without his wife, who stayed home sick with a flu.

He came home 2 hours later, sporting a black eye. Of course, his wife was alarmed.

"What did you do?" she asked.

He explained, "When the pastor had us standing up to sing a hymn, I saw that the woman in front of me had her skirt stuck between her cheeks. That didn't look right, so I reached over to pull the skirt out. I don't know what she thought I was doing, but she turned around and smacked me in the eye".

Next week, our gentleman had to go to church alone again, because his wife still wasn't well. She saw him out the door. "Remember to mind your manners", she reminded him.

He came back home later, with the other eye blackened.

His wife cried out, "What happened now?"

He sighed. "Can you believe that the same woman was in front of me again today? And when we stood up, yes, her skirt got stuck again. The guy next to me pulled it out. I knew that she wouldn't like it, so I reached over to tuck it back in".
So the morel of the story is when a lady is so hungry she’s trying to eat het p[ants don’t mess with her?
Old 01-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #53

No, the moral of the story is: don't stick your uninvited hands in a woman's butt-cheeks.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:08 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

The moral of the story, if there is any, is "LOOK BUT DON'T TOUCH!".
Old 01-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
No, the moral of the story is: don't stick your uninvited hands in a woman's butt-cheeks.
Hm...if I had followed that advice, I would never have found out if a few girls were into "interesting sex".
Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunsGettingFirm View Post
Hm...if I had followed that advice, I would never have found out if a few girls were into "interesting sex".

That reminds me of another thread regarding hand signals, but I shall refrain...
Old 01-07-2010, 11:59 PM   #57

One thing I've noticed about these women is that their faces can go with size 4-6 bodies easily. I wonder if they made the faces skinny with some touch-ups? (or they look for plus size models who have smaller heads, non heavy faces.) Usually big women have bigger faces/heads (from seeing Biggest Losers). Their faces are really pretty.

Personally (I am female), any body that is toned looks good to me.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:25 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Ahem...so

Give that girl a bacon cheeseburger...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:16 AM   #59

Quote:
So, how would everyone feel about seeing more average sized women--which is now a size 16 in America--appearing in advertisements? Would these Rubenesque women get some reaction from you? They are the average woman after all.
That would be my preference. They could just go out on the street, or prowl malls to find everyday people that I think would look much nicer as models. But that would collapse the whole modeling industry... say, that's not a bad idea at all!

Though I don't like the term "Rubenesque". I think many of Ruben's paintings tend to the gross. I see weird lumps and bumps and depressions... it makes me wonder if he was really painting what he saw (the poor ladies!), or if he was adding his own embellishments, for whatever reasons he had then. And many of Ruben's paintings have people that are rather straight-sided.

My life's um, heh, observations, have curvy women without Ruben's oddities.

After seeing the Hilda drawings, and being married to a Hilda (change hair color and length), I prefer my new term "Hilda-esque", or "Hilda-like".

And Twiggy... ugh! An abomination. Could not understand how anyone thought she was cute when the whole Twiggy thing started in the 60's. Just was different, I guess. But seemed to eventually spawn the whole heroin waif starvation empty eyes thing that appalls me
Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post
Easy way to fix that is about two martinis and then the weight issue will continue to diminish in direct proportion to the number of additional drinks.
beer goggles..............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote