Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-23-2014, 05:44 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER Fireball View Post
And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.
I realize that's a Bill Murray quote and not yours, but I think there are trade-offs involved. The Dalai Lama is a wise man and says many wise things, but let's be realistic. You generally need to work for a living unless you want to rely on government handouts and that's not a really high-quality life. If you want to have a comfortable old age in which you can take care of your health-care needs and hire people to do things you can no longer do yourself (and that would include a nursing home if you become extremely frail) and you want to be able to fish, travel, spoil the grandkids...well, that's gonna take more than minimum wage. I'm sure the Dalai Lama won't have to worry about the cost of a nursing home, or paying for health insurance or prescriptions.

I do have a couple of siblings who need to retire. One is dealing with toxic politics but he handles them better than I do, and travel to places in Asia that he doesn't like very much. He's hanging on through year end. I don't know why. From all indications, they've got good savings and very low expenses, and he's accrued a decent pension benefit in addition to SS. Other brother is a CFO and was thinking of retiring (he's 60) and they twisted his arm and got him to stay on with a lucrative 18-month contract. From what my parents say he's been doing very well with generous bonuses every year. No reason he needs to keep working except he likes the money.

I'm still unhappy over the circumstances of my resignation 6 weeks ago but I DO know that I'm not going back.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry for the loss. Death can be shocking. It shows no prejudice nor conscience.
Part of my decision to resign was based upon the fact that I am truly blessed today but that there are no guarantees of my next breath, let alone tomorrow.
I am trying to appreciate and enjoy the moment.
Best regards.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

About a year ago I was diagnosed with a blood cancer called multiple myeloma and after googling it on the internet, I was convinced my life would be over in just a few years. Fortunately new drug treatments are coming out every day and after 5 months of treatments and a stem cell transplant I am now in complete remission. People with multiple myeloma almost always relapse so I could have 2 years, 5 years or much longer to live...your guess is as good as mine. I try not to worry about it...after all some people will go suddenly and some will go slowly...but most people don't know for sure WHEN.

I took early retirement 5 years ago at age 52. During the last 5 years I sometimes felt like I should go back to work because "52 is too early to retire". But you know, after my cancer diagnosis, I have no regrets in retiring early. If I had liked my job right before I retired, I might have felt different, but I didn't like it. So the last 5 years have been a bonus to me, knowing that if I "go early", I had some good years to enjoy my life near the end. Working isn't everything, especially if you can afford not to.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:23 PM   #24

Prior posts about "practicing" for retirement contain more truth than most care to admit. Some actually enjoy or need to w@rk so much that it becomes their life. They would be personally lost without it. Their vocation and avocation become one. IMHO- Nothing wrong with that if that's what fulfills them. OTOH- To w#rk for nothing more than the pursuit of every last $$ is a whole 'nother matter.

Dallas- Here's wishing you all the best for many more good years!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:32 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Did you run that through Snopes? That sounds more like Gary Larson or glurge then the Dali Lama.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #26

In the last year I was surprised that two friends my age (50's) died. One suddenly, one just a year after a cancer diagnosis. Neither had retired, but both were doing things they loved to do. Reminders that the future is uncertain and whatever plans I make for OMY should consider that there's a lot about the future that is unknown and unknowable. Not that I cannot plan, but that whatever I plan has to allow for things maybe not following my plan. Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:42 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
About a year ago I was diagnosed with a blood cancer called multiple myeloma...
... after 5 months of treatments and a stem cell transplant I am now in complete remission...

I took early retirement 5 years ago at age 52...
I am sure you were glad you had had 4 good years of retirement prior to the diagnosis. And now that the myeloma is in remission, I am wishing you many more years.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:16 AM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

I wonder how the Dalai Lama decides when it's time to retire.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:20 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasGuy View Post
About a year ago I was diagnosed with a blood cancer called multiple myeloma and after googling it on the internet, I was convinced my life would be over in just a few years. Fortunately new drug treatments are coming out every day and after 5 months of treatments and a stem cell transplant I am now in complete remission. People with multiple myeloma almost always relapse so I could have 2 years, 5 years or much longer to live...your guess is as good as mine. I try not to worry about it...after all some people will go suddenly and some will go slowly...but most people don't know for sure WHEN.

I took early retirement 5 years ago at age 52. During the last 5 years I sometimes felt like I should go back to work because "52 is too early to retire". But you know, after my cancer diagnosis, I have no regrets in retiring early. If I had liked my job right before I retired, I might have felt different, but I didn't like it. So the last 5 years have been a bonus to me, knowing that if I "go early", I had some good years to enjoy my life near the end. Working isn't everything, especially if you can afford not to.
Sounds like you have few regrets in general and I hope lots more regretfree years ahead, DG.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:42 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

One vote for hoax-at least for the source. I can't vouch for the website-may be opinion only but geez you are quoting Facebook as an authoritative source.
NT Blog: That Dalai Lama Quotation, and the Historical Sceptic
Dalai Lama Quote on Facebook About Man Sacrifice and Health is a HOAX! - A website dedicated to human stupidity and dumbness - The Damien Zone
Old 06-24-2014, 06:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
One vote for hoax-at least for the source. I can't vouch for the website-may be opinion only but geez you are quoting Facebook as an authoritative source.
Dalai Lama Quote on Facebook About Man Sacrifice and Health is a HOAX! - A website dedicated to human stupidity and dumbness - The Damien Zone

Oh well, interweboshpere gets us again. Still a decent message.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 06-24-2014, 11:13 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

I think an early death of someone close or known has made an impression on many ERs. When I was in my mid-30s, my mom passed away from incurable cancer at 63, just in time for my Dad to retire and spend the first 6 months in retirement caring for her. Totally opened my eyes. Now I'm only 8.5 years away from the age she died.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:59 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Good question!

Personally, I think this quote is bull cookies.

Would people think the same think about the quote if it was said by Bill Gates? The Dalai Lama is the chief honcho, big kahuna, top of the pyramid, and never has to want for anything.

It is easy to say "Live for today" when you have what you need, but what do you tell the person strugging to get by working two jobs so his family can get to a better place? "Stop, slow down and smell the roses."?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

This thread has convinced me to have some cheap white wine and goat cheese at 4PM today!

Living in the moment. Anticipating the near future. Maybe I should move that up to 3PM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
The current (14th) Dalai Lama was chosen by reincarnation and AFAIK remains Dalai Lama until his death.

Regarding his retirement....."Succession and Reincarnation" from Wiki: 14th Dalai Lama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On 24 September 2011, the Dalai Lama issued the following statement concerning his reincarnation:
When I am about ninety I will consult the high Lamas of the Tibetan Buddhist traditions, the Tibetan public, and other concerned people who follow Tibetan Buddhism, and re-evaluate whether the institution of the Dalai Lama should continue or not. On that basis we will take a decision. If it is decided that the reincarnation of the Dalai Lama should continue and there is a need for the Fifteenth Dalai Lama to be recognized, responsibility for doing so will primarily rest on the concerned officers of the Dalai Lama’s Gaden Phodrang Trust. They should consult the various heads of the Tibetan Buddhist traditions and the reliable oath-bound Dharma Protectors who are linked inseparably to the lineage of the Dalai Lamas. They should seek advice and direction from these concerned beings and carry out the procedures of search and recognition in accordance with past tradition. I shall leave clear written instructions about this. Bear in mind that, apart from the reincarnation recognized through such legitimate methods, no recognition or acceptance should be given to a candidate chosen for political ends by anyone, including those in the People’s Republic of China.[90]
On 3 October 2011, the Dalai Lama repeated his statement in an interview with Canadian CTV News. He added that Chinese laws banning the selection of successors based on reincarnation will not impact his decisions. "Naturally my next life is entirely up to me. No one else. And also this is not a political matter," he said in the interview. The Dalai Lama also added that he was not decided on whether he would reincarnate or if he would be the last Dalai Lama.[91]

omni
Old 06-25-2014, 12:10 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiliPepr View Post
Good question!

Personally, I think this quote is bull cookies.

Would people think the same think about the quote if it was said by Bill Gates? The Dalai Lama is the chief honcho, big kahuna, top of the pyramid, and never has to want for anything.

It is easy to say "Live for today" when you have what you need, but what do you tell the person strugging to get by working two jobs so his family can get to a better place? "Stop, slow down and smell the roses."?
That quote attributed to the Dalai Lama is phony. See an earlier post that I reproduce below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post