Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-19-2007, 06:10 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Sigh. Most women have such a small understanding of the power they have over men and how easy we can be.

The ones that understand completely...well...I think I dated all of them in my 20's and 30's...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Come on guys - one bad experince with a store and you are ready to judge them as being terriable? Would you apply the same criteria for your life? (I'm sorry honey this never happened to me before. - Think about it.)
Old 12-19-2007, 06:28 PM   #23

Circuit City - in the late '80's we went there to buy a TV that was on sale, salesman told me the credit card wouldn't clear, then tried to sell me a higher-priced one. We left and haven't been back since. I knew it had a zero balance but called the credit union anyway. Surprise! Nothing wrong with the credit card, the salesguy was just trying to up his commission.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:33 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
Come on guys - one bad experince with a store and you are ready to judge them as being terriable?

There is bad and there is truly awful .My recent experience was truly awful .It took me over twenty e-mails and calls to get them to understand and believe me I was shocked since Target is one of my favorite stores .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:21 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

whew...my outfit didn't make the list. My job is in between customers and management. My modus is to advocate for the company to the customer and advocate for the customer to the company. We do ok, but what smokes me is lately when a customer DOES have a problem and I know exactly what to do, but need approval....it takes so long to get the approval that the customer is ticked off anyway and our cost is the same as if we had provided the service right away. These are goodwill issues where things are in the grey area....technically we're not obligated but its just good business to give customer benefit of the doubt.
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:54 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My DH just had a terrible experience with RADIO SHACK.

He bought a digital scanning radio at our local Radio Shack. He's read things online about them reselling returned goods, so he asked the clerk, "Has this one been returned or is it new stock?" She assured him that it was not a return. He gets it home and opens it and there were signs that it was a return. The packaging was not original and when he turned it on it already had frequencies programmed in. Also, the screen was scratched!

He got right back in the car and took it back. The woman he dealt with didn't handle the even exchange for another one so he told this clerk that he wanted one that was not a return. When he got home and opened that one, he found that it did not have the correct power supply. Instead of the Radio Shack power supply, there was a Uniden one. Now how the heck does that happen? Must have been returned. The store was closed by then so he went back the next morning and returned the unit for a refund.

Next he went to the next closest Radio Shack and bought the same item. This time it was new, everything included, correct packaging and he's happy as a clam with his new toy.

WHY do you have to go through crap like this just to try and get what you want?

Every time you go into a Radio Shack there's another new manager and another sketchy pitch for cell phones and satellite TV. My son has a joke about our Radio Shack.

"You've got questions? We've got cell phones!"
Sue J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:03 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Toyota. Bought a new Sienna for my son and his family. Found a defect soon after delivery. Fought with the dealership, regional service jerk and corporate for roughly a year. Finally got a letter in the mail saying they were now aware that this defect was a common generic problem and they were extending warranties to cover. So, our problem got fixed. But only after a year and being told again and again we were wrong, probably not being truthful, etc. Then, out of the blue, they say gee, we screwed up in our manufacturing operation and you are the unhappy victim. Aren't you lucky we're now taking care of it for you?
Old 12-19-2007, 10:23 PM   #28

Had a nasty problem with The GAP just today. They asked DW if she wanted a "rewards card" which would give her 15% off her purchase...which she would NEVER shy away from...unless she has to fill out paperwork. They said no paperwork, just scan your visa card and your drivers license. DW got suspicious when they asked her SS#, but didn't refuse to give it. A few moments later, the sales lady says "congratulations, you have a new GAP credit card"...my wife immediately gets upset and called me over to negotiate with the sales lady. The sales lady then tells me that by their system, the "rewards card" is not a credit card unless you are approved by the system. I told her that if she intended for us to apply for a credit card, she needed to tell us that up front...she said she did... To that, I asked my wife and daughter who was also there if there was any mention of a credit card....NO! The lady says "I can't tell you its a credit card until you have been approved". So I said again, you needed to tell us if this was a credit card application. Again she says she did...I immediately cancelled the purchase and told her I wanted to speak with her manager, and that she needed to cancel the credit application. She said she would give me her boss's number, but that she could not remove the credit app...we had to call customer service. Now my blood is boiling!

So anyway, I get her supervisor's phone #...but she gave a false one. I called customer service, told them I was furious and needed to speak with the top supr. I told them that I stood ready to accuse them of false advertising, as well as deceptive and predatory business practices, and that if any of my employees ever attempted something like that, they would be shown the exit. She admitted that some of their managers get overly aggressive in pushing their credit card, and even have incentives to do it. I told her that regardless of their KPIs, deceptive practices were not acceptable. I asked for, and was given assurances that the would handle the issue and come back to me today....but no contact. I'll be chasing them again in the morning.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

DW retired from Customer Service Quality Assurance. Part of my old job included addressing customer complaints.

There are two (or more) sides to each Customer Complaint.
Some are legitimate and the customer is giving something to
make it right for them.

Some are caused by Mega corp. itself due to the lack of true communicaton between marketing and project managers.

Other problems are due to the misunderstanding of the customer or inadequate information on what they should expect vs what the company is willing to do in a specific circumstance.

Some customers learn to "use" the system to get free stuff. I worked for a baby forumula company and nobody is as uptight about quality as a new mother so the company made sure "any" problem was discussed and free product was sent to replace the "bad" product. Most of the time it was from the same lot as the reported bad product. Some folks get this down to a science and when they get down to the last bits of what they bought they complain so they can be sent free product.

The companies that don't have a Customer Quality Assurance function are the real loosers. Quality Assurance has the job of telling management that their perfect product or service is anything but perfect and that lack of perfection is causing a loss of sales etc. Never let sales or marketing keep the numbers for complaints.

DW is the designated problem resolution manager in the house. She really knows how to get the person she needs to talk with and then gets results...fast. She knows the systems and uses it to get what she wants. Works great!

I don't expect much customer service in Circuit City or Best Buy. Same goes for Walmat, Sam's Club, Costco or other big box stores and I am willing to accept a lower price for the lack of it. However, Nordstrums, Macy, Mervins, and litnay of other higher price stores or services "owe" me some personal assitance and excellent customer service. I usually get it but if I don't their name goes to the store manager in a letter.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
My DH just had a terrible experience with RADIO SHACK.
My beef with Radio Shack is that they are always demanding to know your phone number and / or address, even for a 50 cent purchase. Once after I refused to provide the information, the "kid" behind the counter said he wouldn't sell me the part I wanted. An email to their corporate headquarters was not returned.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 09:30 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I always give them my original zip code and phone number from when I was a teenager. Which are on the opposite side of the country.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I always give them my original zip code and phone number from when I was a teenager. Which are on the opposite side of the country.
I give them the last job I had - I hope the person who replaced me apprciates it.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:22 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
I went to Office Depot the last week of November. I was looking for something specific (shredder lubricant sheets) that I had checked on line and they had them. I couldn't find them. There were shredders on special display and there was a sign that said "Don't forget shredder lubricant sheets" but there were none right there and no notice of where they were in the store and nobody to ask.

I was in my "it's near the end of the month and I have some money left" mood so I wandered over to the electronic gizmos. They were (understandably) behind locked doors and there was no one around to unlock them.

I want to hold and use electronics before buying to see if they are what I want.

After a few minutes of looking for an employee, I left without buying anything.

I ordered the SLS on line, and not from Office Depot.

The first local place I check for stuff is ACE hardware; they have helpful employees and are glad to assist.

The Meijer store has store phones so you can ask for an employee to assist if things are locked or out of reach.

Best Buy has employees that ask if you need help and can answer questions.

It's very annoying to have money to spend and folks don't want to sell stuff.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:05 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
there was a sign that said "Don't forget shredder lubricant sheets" but there were none right there and no notice of where they were in the store and nobody to ask.
*chuckle*

I was in Home Depot about 4 years ago picking up the rest of the roofing stuff I needed for my wifes old house and I wanted about 75' of ridge vent. They had a display on an end cap touting the superiority of the brand they sold, but where they kept it wasnt evident.

I asked a guy working in the roofing department about it "ridge what?". Oh boy. "Let me go get Stan, he knows all this stuff!". Yay Stan!!!

Stan looked perplexed, at least he knew what ridge vent was. He looked at the end cap. Shrugged and said "Well, we used to have it but I dont think we do now".

That was it. No offer to go find some, ask if it might be somewhere else in the store, or order some. Bupkus.

So I had my BIL buy it at Meeks hardware on his way over the next day.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #35
Gone but not forgotten

The all time best in customer service is JJill . If something you bought goes on sale you can call them and they'll refund you the difference . No hassles ! I once ordered a top and when it came it had a small defect ( tear ) near the neckline .I called them about it and because that color was out of stock they gave me the blouse for free .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:28 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My beef with Radio Shack is that they are always demanding to know your phone number and / or address, even for a 50 cent purchase. Once after I refused to provide the information, the "kid" behind the counter said he wouldn't sell me the part I wanted. An email to their corporate headquarters was not returned.
Yeah that gets me too. For years, I worked as a Field Engineer and would get stuck on the road needing some small item or another.....I could sniff out a RS even in a strange town and they ALWAY ask for the zipcode. I finally asked what it was for and the young guy said he didn't know...asked the manager and he didn't know either, so I refused, no problem. While in my local RS, I complained to manager about the policy and he gave me his card and scribbled 10% discount on the back....not bad!
jazz4cash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #37

Best customer service experience I've ever had? Our kitchen faucet is made by Grohe America and several years after we moved into this house, the faucet started to leak due to a crack in an internal ceramic part. Checked various plumbing stores and called around for a replacement part, but couldn't find one anywhere.

I finally called Grohe America's home office and got connected to a regional manager. I explained the problem "Where can I get this stupid ceramic insert??"; he asked a few questions about the faucet and asked me for my address. About a week later, UPS delivered a brand new faucet! It retails for more than $600!! Talk about service!!

Here's the faucet:

Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:07 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

The best web site service I've found (for shoes) is Zappos
Shoes at Zappos.com - Powered by Service - Our shoe store features dress shoes, casual shoes, and athletic shoes for men and women!

They have free shipping both ways (if you return it) and you can set up a home pickup on line. Sale prices can be good, regular prices just OK.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:26 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
The best web site service I've found (for shoes) is Zappos
Shoes at Zappos.com - Powered by Service - Our shoe store features dress shoes, casual shoes, and athletic shoes for men and women!

They have free shipping both ways (if you return it) and you can set up a home pickup on line. Sale prices can be good, regular prices just OK.
Zappo's is GREAT!! I bought several pairs of Birkenstocks there in 2002 and they arrived quickly and in perfect condition. Their sales are huge and always ongoing, so usually you can find something on sale. While not remarkable, their regular prices are at least reasonable. They have every kind of shoe imaginable, and some that I didn't know were still available.

As for bad service, I'd recommend our local McDonalds' (all of them). Thank goodness I have no further desire to eat their artery clogging food. When I did, the employees were rude, unhelpful, slow, and usually got the order wrong, and never had it cooked beforehand. And their soft drinks tasted funny enough that I wondered about mold in their machine. I found it was faster to come home and cook good, nourishing food on my George Foreman grill than to sit in line at a McDonald's drive-through, even if nobody was ahead of me. Seriously, I timed it and it averaged over 10 minutes, and then you have to put up with all the rudeness and shortchanging and such. That's ridiculous.

We ate breakfast at McDonald's one morning in Missouri when we were up there, and it wasn't like that at all. The employees were pleasant and efficient, and it was actually clean. That's the other thing - - the McDonalds' down here are so filthy that it destroys my appetite.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
Toyota. Bought a new Sienna for my son and his family. Found a defect soon after delivery. Fought with the dealership, regional service jerk and corporate for roughly a year. Finally got a letter in the mail saying they were now aware that this defect was a common generic problem and they were extending warranties to cover. So, our problem got fixed. But only after a year and being told again and again we were wrong, probably not being truthful, etc. Then, out of the blue, they say gee, we screwed up in our manufacturing operation and you are the unhappy victim. Aren't you lucky we're now taking care of it for you?
I have heard a number of stories about Toyota virtually identical to this one on different models. Sludging problems in their late '90s engines was one of them. Complete denial and thinly disquised arrogance until corporate Tokyo is forced to admit common defect. Don't think this kind of aloofness (arrogance) is as pronounced with other auto makers but could be.
AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote