Customized Classic Shaving Mugs

Blue Collar Guy

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Does anyone know where I can get a NEW, classic type personalized shaving mug. Like the ones I see on the web from the 1920's? Hand lettered in real gold. With a nice picture of maybe my old occupation, and my name or initials. I found even a collectors website, but nothing on anyone that makes new ones. thanks. I found the classic shaving website, but they dont have my occupation, and they have been sold out for ages.

"Regarding the old mugs, you bought the mug and ordered your name and art work on it from your barber. The big barber suppliers all had art and painting departments where each mug was hand painted then fired in the kiln. I think you would, as members have pointed out, have to have a individual mug made by a local potter as this is not commercially done anymore." I wouldn't have the slightest idea where to find such a craftsman.

Last edited:
Maybe try again?

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Attachments

• mug.JPG
    mug.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 12
I tried those 2, the etsy will only do initials. Classic that was mentioned in my original post doesn't have my occupation.

Let me rephrase the question. Anyone know a craftsman that will make me an old-time classic customized shaving mug with initials in real gold lettering and artwork? thanks

Googling "Potters in New York City".......

Attachments

• IMG_3765.jpg
    IMG_3765.jpg
    275.5 KB · Views: 8
About 3 years ago I called all of the ones that were in my area. none of them were interested. I guess Ill call all the ones I can get to, Im sure a face to face is needed.

I'm curious why a generic mug won't do.

I'm curious why a generic mug won't do.

Im using an old Correlle cup, I dont have the slightest idea where i even got it from. It will out live me. I usually shave in the shower. I use a brush and whip up nice lather. I cant stand that long anymore. I started to sit at the counter top with a nice mirror, bowl and my shaving mug. The mug is unsightly, and a few years ago I saw some beautiful antique shaving mugs and I wanted one. I did a search to try to get a new one made for me but no dice. Now that Im shaving in "Public":LOL:, I want nice stuff. I wanted one before I shaved in public , but now I have more reason, and more money:D.

Sign up to take a ceramic class, and you could make your own for a fraction of the cost.
A well stocked shop should have a mold that suits your needs, and any gilding, I'm sure could be had, even if you had someone come with you to class.

If I can remember, I'll ask DW's friend, who has a pottery kiln. It's easy to do, but the molds are the killer. DD made ceramic Christmas molds for years, and when I asked her to do a Nativity scene, it was not cost effective, so I bought one for $3500.

Sign up to take a ceramic class, and you could make your own for a fraction of the cost.
A well stocked shop should have a mold that suits your needs, and any gilding, I'm sure could be had, even if you had someone come with you to class.

If I can remember, I'll ask DW's friend, who has a pottery kiln. It's easy to do, but the molds are the killer. DD made ceramic Christmas molds for years, and when I asked her to do a Nativity scene, it was not cost effective, so I bought one for $3500.

If I had time I would try to make one. Im positive my 30 year old plus correlle cup with blue flowers would look better.:) Im more than willing to shell out a days pay for someone to make it for me. I want pretty artwork on it. Something Im positive other than a stick figure I could not accomplish.

Are you sure you want a breakable mug in the bathroom/shower? Potentially dangerous, and easy to damage your nice new, $$$ mug.

Find a nice acrylic mug or something. Personalize something else, why have your occupation on a shaving mug? Unless you were a barber?

-ERD50

Probably easy to find something on Etsy, or search Amazon's Handmade or custom categories.

I use a regular coffee cup because it fits the soap cake perfectly, but I can see wanting something nicer.

Back
Top Bottom