Cut Back Rosemary?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I planted large areas of rosemary (prostratus) around our house years ago. Most of it does well, but frequently large areas just die off, as seen in the pictures.

We had a lot of rain here last winter, and I think that caused problems.

Should I be cutting it back periodically?

I assume that I should cut off all the dead plants and parts.

Thanks,

- Al

Attachments

• Rosemary1.jpg
    Rosemary1.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 6
  • Rosemary2.jpg
    Rosemary2.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 3
I don't know anything but gardening in your part of the country, but looking at the pics I would say cut off the dead stuff. The plants may also be refreshed by cutting it back somewhat. I wouldn't go overboard.

Hey Al, I heard about a good way to encourage the growth of moss--water with thinned down buttermilk.

Cut out all the dead stuff, trim all bottom sprigs off the ground. Rake under give some good all purpose fert and water. They like it dry, so last winters rains did not help them.

Sun should make them look better after the haircuts.

OK, I'll keep you posted.

Buttermilk, huh? I'll try it.

Al, I think the die-back is pretty normal on that creeping rosemary. You might want to mix in some sand around it to improve the drainage, but don't "baby" rosemary too much, like most herbs, it likes poor, hot conditions.
Moss?--kill it with roundup and take away the shade to discourage more.

Light solution of bleach mixed with water and sprayed on the roof will solve the moss growth temporarily. Rinse the bleach solution off the roof an hour or two after applying.

To solve it permanently, get a strip of thin copper and stick it up under the top row of shingles or tiles. The very minor bit of copper that gets eroded by rainwater is a nice moss preventative. Supposedly you can get a copper based spray thats a good inhibitor, but its not quite as cool and it eliminates a half dozen "whats that strip on your roof?" questions.

Depending on the age and type of your roof, many roofing manufacturers offer a "no moss" guarantee for a certain number of years after application. The 50 year comp I just put on my house has either a 10 or 15 year replacement warranty against moss incursion.

I have a lot of rosemary on the new property, and had a bunch near my old mcmansion. Other than extreme overwatering or extreme underwatering, it grows abundantly in any temperature (in california anyhow), loves heat, is not threatened by cool weather, and is tough to kill.

Hey Al, I heard about a good way to encourage the growth of moss--water with thinned down buttermilk.

I saw on some gardening show on HGTV or DIYNET, they put some moss in a blender with some buttermilk, and then used a brush to paint it on concrete lawn ornaments. They then put them in a shady area, and lightly misted them once in a while to keep them damp (but not wet), and the moss really started growing like gang-busters in no time. If you want it on the ground you might experiment a little with that method.

Just be sure to wash out the blender before you use it to make any cold, adult beverages! :D

It's looking much better now, thanks for the tips.
RosemaryCutBack.jpg

Back
Top Bottom