Join Early Retirement Today

Cute sandals (for GIRLS ONLY!!!)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cute sandals (for GIRLS ONLY!!!)

Boys, move along, there's nothing for you to see here....

We've had a couple of days that flirted with 70 degrees, and I got downright giddy thinking about wearing flip flops. And then I remembered last year, when I had to give them up due to foot and knee pain. I was told by a physical therapist friend that cute-little-strappy-sandals simply don't provide enough support for someone "of my age" and I need to find something more sensible.

I don't want to look like a nun or appear to just have escaped from a nursing home. Anyone have any cute, sensible sandal recommendations?

I've purchased some things from Foot Smart in the past, but most of their stuff is pretty high, and frankly I haven't found the magic bullet yet.

Just thought I'd see if anyone has any luck with a particular brand or style. I also enjoy pedicures, so I do prefer open toe, but at this point I'm just ready to quit wearing socks for a few months.

Thanks in advance. Boys, you can take your hands off your ears now.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wear Teva sandals, the ones with a heel strap and that buckle on the top. They are not decorative, but certainly comfortable and secure on my feet. I think Teva has some more girly styles than mine, so you might check them out.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Merrell. You could run in their sandals. not too cheap but last a looong time. Some styles are cuter than others.
I too find that wearing flip flops or "slides" causes me all kinds of trouble. I think I grip with my toes and then get cramps in the middle of the night.
ah the joys of growing older.
Just discovered another brand of cute comfortable shoes: Ahnu. check 'em out on Zappos.
gardenfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought these a couple of weeks ago:

Croft and Barrow sole (sense)ability Wedge Sandals - Women

They are SOOOO comfortable! I got hooked on the Croft and Barrow line last summer with some open toe clogs. Wore them out and had to buy two pairs for this summer.
BuysToys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:53 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Disclaimer: I have short, very wide feet. I sometimes wear Rafters flip flops around the house. Fitflops makes some really cute flipflops, too. I can't wear cheap flipflops, but can wear the two brands I mentioned. I also sometimes wear Tevas which I have probably had for more than a decade. I have a pair of Sketchers sandals that go well with both shorts and dresses. My "dressy" sandals are Clarks. My dad thought that wearing good shoes was important, so I've never been shy about spending good money on shoes, although I do try to get them on sale or use online codes (or both). The only downside is that they last so long I get tired of them before they wear out.

PS Zappos.com pays for shipping both ways, so you can order a bunch, keep the one you want, and send the rest back.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I wear Birkenstocks, but I don't suppose those exactly qualify as "cute".... Photo attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg granada.jpg (11.3 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg granada2.jpg (14.6 KB, 262 views)

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #7

Dansko makes nice sandals, and while they can be a bit spendy, often north of $100, I buy them anyway for their support and comfort. And then when I can find last year's model for about half off, that is even better. The Dansko Outlet site has the Surraya, for example, nearly half off. I have 3 pairs. Well, HAD 3 pairs. The beagle girl puppy ate one half of one pair.

They still have the cute red ones left!
Old 04-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

I wear born shoes ( sandals & flats ) . They are cute ,last forever and give enough support.
Attached Images
File Type: png B92904-400x352.png (176.6 KB, 255 views)
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #9

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I am a big Zappos fan, so I'll do some serious shopping tonight.
Old 04-15-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Gone but not forgotten

I also bought these wedges from Naturalizer . They are cuter in person and look great with a sundress .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 76327_STRIPE_MULTI.jpg (5.8 KB, 256 views)
Old 04-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #11

Have you seen these : http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_...nid=2941120011
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:21 PM   #12

obgyn, that's a pretty limited selection. I doubt if I can find anything I like with only 49,126 to pick from.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

I just got a pair of Jambu sandals that I am happy with - comfortable for walking all day. Many styles, here are a few:

eyeonFI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeonFI View Post
I just got a pair of Jambu sandals that I am happy with - comfortable for walking all day. Many styles, here are a few:
I like Jambu too...have several pair purchased on sale from Amazon.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:08 PM   #15

I'm going with these Cole Haan Adelaide Mid Wedge sandals that OBGYN65 found on Amazon. (Actually, I do like them probably more than I should).
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:21 PM   #16
Full time employment: Posting here.

Those Jambu sandals look fun...going to check into those.

My experience: Tevas are sooo very comfortable...the sandals i live in during the summer. I am not a shoe person- have never owned more than 6 pr at one time...and Tevas are my favorite sandal....can walk miles in them.
ohyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:31 PM   #17
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post

I'm going with these Cole Haan Adelaide Mid Wedge sandals that OBGYN65 found on Amazon. (Actually, I do like them probably more than I should).
I also like them and I already have the perfect dress to go with them . The market is dropping but we are buying shoes !
Old 04-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #18

I love Chacos and they wear forever. They also have flip flops with a great arch!
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #19
gone traveling

Why is this post for girls only. I know some men who would kill for these sandals
UserRequested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 07:34 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wear Birkenstocks, but I don't suppose those exactly qualify as "cute".... Photo attached.
I have worn Birkenstocks since the early '70's...
antmary is offline   Reply With Quote