Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #121
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
My parents would have been thrilled if that kid was me. I had a job at 17 and bought my own clothes, a small motorcycle, etc. However, my grades were lousy and there was no prayer of a scholarship unless there is one out there for "hopeless student". I was called a lot of things in HS but "student" was never one of them.

So things can be a lot worse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
Sounds like a pretty ideal situation!

Now if he's 23, just dropped out of college and not working in a "real" job, not paying rent, and not paying for his own car repairs, then come back here and post a thread about it.

Don't get me wrong.... I am thrilled at what he is accomplishing.... but I also think he is missing out on some parts of life that you need to experience to learn.... he (and DW) just do not understand that some kids do not have cars they can drive (starting at 16 no less).... that they have to do chores around the house... that they have to learn some life skills that you do not learn in school....

If they do not go to visit grandma this summer, I will push for him getting a job... but DW's grandma is having some health issues so I think they will be going....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2015, 09:19 PM   #122
Recycles dryer sheets

Ok all. Sorry I didn't update sooner. Still working. Had the talk. I learned more than she did. Apparently she was concerned about the repair bill because she recently got a ticket in a construction zone and did not want to tell me- even though I handle these things in my job. She paid over 400 for the ticket which I could have resolved for cheaper. On top of that she went to doc for tests and assumed she had to pay- even though I cover her insurance and I have an HSA. She literally asked the doc/ lab for a bill when she left- which I have never done or knew could happen. So the bill was 521. She was upset when I asked for car repairs on top.

Here is the lesson. She had no idea what was happening with our health insurance. I had no idea her health issues. She also clearly needs an emergency fund. We discussed this too. Finally the issue of a long term plan is still lingering. Sorry for the length.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Old 03-19-2015, 09:24 PM   #123
Recycles dryer sheets

Ps.- I am not so happy with myself. Clearly I dropped the ball here. I need to have more detailed conversations with my children about financial issues.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #124
Administrator

Things happen. If we're fortunate, we learn a thing or two and move on with our lives. The best thing is that you are talking to each other now and shaping the future together. Best wishes for you both.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

^ What Gumby said.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 03-19-2015, 10:03 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prose3589 View Post
Ps.- I am not so happy with myself. Clearly I dropped the ball here. I need to have more detailed conversations with my children about financial issues.

It sounds like you have a high class daughter. I would be wary of blindly putting into place some of the suggestions that you might get here. Remember, you always want your children to like you, as well as respect you.

Ha
Old 03-19-2015, 10:23 PM   #127
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^ What haha said and more.

I was impressed with how your daughter handled her financial problems--she took care of them herself--without your knowledge. Do you have any idea why she didn't tell you about the traffic ticket or the doctor's appointment? You might consider staying away from financial issues for now and instead work on being more comfortable with one another. She sounds much more responsible than you've made her out to be in your original post.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:25 PM   #128

I liked the way this story ended!

You have a nice daughter and with a little more communication with a little more guidance, I have a feeling both of you will be saving money.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:32 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post

I liked the way this story ended!

You have a nice daughter and with a little more communication with a little more guidance, I have a feeling both of you will be saving money.
Agreed with above, and maybe even get to know each other a little better.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:39 PM   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I imagine it would be hard to learn the value of a dollar if everything is handed to you with no effort on your part.
Oh it is.
I see the results of that.
One is nearly 60, (not the previous 2 examples I mentioned). His parents paid for his house roof, created a job for him, bought him numerous cars over the years, and paid the car insurance, and gave him cash to help him out. All while he was married to an older woman (which his parents were happy about as she was like a mother to him).
Why should he work
He never even took care of the possessions, since he had no value of work associated with them, the house should be condemned as he let it rot.

What is the value of bothering to work when everything is nearly free.
I grew up with him, so I know he is just simply lazy, even as a kid he was lazy, too smart to work and sweat
Old 03-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #131

My parents let me live at home free while going to College, but they told me once I was done college and got a job, I would pay rent while living at home.
That was fine by me, and there was no talk of paying it back to me.

So OP's daughter does not understand how health care works, and even traffic tickets. Plus she does seem to spend all her money even though home is free, which is why the 2 bills threw her off so much.

Imagine if she had to pay $400/mo share of house expenses.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #132

It's very good that the talking is going. Still, one can't be "independent when I want to be", because that is still "dependent".

Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 PM   #133
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It sounds like you have a high class daughter. I would be wary of blindly putting into place some of the suggestions that you might get here. Remember, you always want your children to like you, as well as respect you.

Ha
+1. And besides that, they might be picking out your nursing home some day or making critical healthcare decisions on your behalf.

Good work Prose on handling the situation with TLC and being able to see things from your daughter's perspective.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 03-19-2015, 11:54 PM   #134
Give me a forum ...

Prose,
You took big steps, great. Put in perspective what young person hasn't made some mistakes? I made plenty starting out.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:02 AM   #135
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Prose,
You took big steps, great. Put in perspective what young person hasn't made some mistakes? I made plenty starting out.
+1

She's trying to do the right things, even if she's making mistakes along the way. Not all people have that instinct/desire. She'll do fine.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:58 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectiveBum View Post
+1

She's trying to do the right things, even if she's making mistakes along the way. Not all people have that instinct/desire. She'll do fine.
+1
Old 03-20-2015, 05:22 AM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Yea.... I wish I could get this past DW... DS is 17 and does not work... he spend 5 days a week in the gym after school (which I pay for)...

I cannot complain too much as he is one of the top students in school and does all his homework without us saying a word... he is in a couple of engineering competitions and so far has placed first in them.... going to regional next.... has a possibility of winning a scholarship or two.... however, I still think a job with others making demands on him would be something good for him....

I always told DS that school was his job. If your son was in medical school (1st 2 years with 32 hrs in class per week and double that time studying) and the next 2 years at the hospital all day then studying) would you expect him to also work?

To the OP, it sounds like your bringing up the subject opened a floodgate of information and an opening for communication that she needed too. DH and I found ourselves with $1000 less than expected...on our honeymoon. We barely scraped by. Got a loan from a friend when we got back home. Never told our parents. I'm sure it's a relief to your daughter to find out you have her back. I'm not sure our parents' would have been so kind.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:24 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

I love how this story played out. I kept thinking the daughter might be stressed out by watching someone else's kids all day long 6 days a week and might just have been snappish. Now we know she was dealing with even more stress. All will work out, I suspect.

On the slightly-germane topic Sunset touches on: I've been around more than one highly-intelligent lazy person who manages to arrange his/her life so everyone else becomes staff. They are like human cats!

In fact, this type of person is something of a leitmotif or "meme" in literature. My older brother had a novel titled "The Mudhen," who was a very smart, very lazy boy whose hobby was solving mysteries, at and around his private prep school. Other than that, he despised effort and did as little as possible. Things somehow always worked out for him.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

What is the value of bothering to work when everything is nearly free.
I grew up with him, so I know he is just simply lazy, even as a kid he was lazy, too smart to work and sweat
Old 03-20-2015, 08:02 AM   #139
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am very proud of her. I am going to be more open about financial issues with my kids. I forget they need the information.

A friend said"you can't put an old head on a young body". I am reminded of that every day.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:13 AM   #140
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by prose3589 View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice. I am very proud of her. I am going to be more open about financial issues with my kids. I forget they need the information.

A friend said"you can't put an old head on a young body". I am reminded of that every day.

That is a great saying. And you did splendidly with your DD.