Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2014, 07:54 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Many bathroom scales have memory:
The Best Bathroom Scales | The Wirecutter
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Many bathroom scales have memory:
The Best Bathroom Scales | The Wirecutter
FYI: The article does not discuss the "memory feature". However, you can scroll down and read what several commenters say about this.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:21 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I too have a Withings scale that uploads my weight every day - I consistently weight myself just before my morning shower. I now have almost three years of data. Obviously there is plenty of daily noise, but it is interesting to see the longer term trends. This is what it looks like:

It also measures fat. I'm not sure how accurate that is, but the trends are also interesting. Roughly similar to weight, but not exactly.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That's more than a gallon or 4 liters of liquid. A huge amount! Wouldn't people shrink or shrivel up like a prune, losing that much water?
People are 50-60% water by weight.
AllDone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
Word of advice, weight doesn't matter, the mirror is 1000 times more useful in measuring health.
+1
But apparently those scales are the real culprits.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:59 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
@splitwdw, I work out about 2 hours every day. I am trying to figure out how much I need to drink during a long run in hot weather. I suffer from cardiac drift.
Not sure what you mean by "suffer from cardiac drift". It's a natural occurring increase in your core temperature which elevates heart rate. Happens to all long distance runners. Here are some tips on hydrating before, during and after running plus a sweat loss calculator. http://http://runnersconnect.net/how...n-in-the-heat/
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:12 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllDone View Post
People are 50-60% water by weight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJackson View Post
For women ideal range for body water is between 45-60 percent.
I was jesting.

What is the amount of water one can lose before some trauma to the body is caused? For example, diarrhea can kill because it causes loss of fluid.

A Wikipedia article has this to say about dehydration.
Most people can tolerate a three to four percent decrease in body water without difficulty. A five to eight percent decrease can cause fatigue and dizziness. Over ten percent can cause physical and mental deterioration, accompanied by severe thirst. A decrease more than fifteen to twenty-five percent of the body water is invariably fatal.
Let's say Scrinch weighs 170 lbs. Then, his body water is 85 lbs. For a loss of 10 lbs, that's 12% loss of body water. His condition was marginal!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-29-2014, 09:27 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I just learned another thing too. That is men have more water than women.

From Wikipedia:

By weight, the average human adult male is approximately 60% water. However, there can be considerable variation in body water percentage based on a number of factors like age, health, weight, and gender. In a large study of adults of all ages and both sexes, the adult human body averaged ~53% water. However, this varied substantially by age, sex, and adiposity (amount of fat in body composition). The figure for water fraction by weight in this sample was found to be 48 ±6% for females and 58 ±8% water for males.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 PM   #29

Quote:
I was jesting.

What is the amount of water one can lose before some trauma to the body is caused? For example, diarrhea can kill because it causes loss of fluid.

A Wikipedia article has this to say about dehydration.
Most people can tolerate a three to four percent decrease in body water without difficulty. A five to eight percent decrease can cause fatigue and dizziness. Over ten percent can cause physical and mental deterioration, accompanied by severe thirst. A decrease more than fifteen to twenty-five percent of the body water is invariably fatal.
Let's say Scrinch weighs 170 lbs. Then, his body water is 85 lbs. For a loss of 10 lbs, that's 12% loss of body water. His condition was marginal!

Pretty normal for athletes to drop 10-35 pounds of water via sauna sessions in the 48 hours prior to weigh in.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:25 PM   #30

I'm a big guy, so that 10 lbs is between 4% and 5% of my total weight, or about 7% of my body water, assuming I'm only about 40% snakes and snails, etc, with the rest being water.
scrinch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 05:59 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I just learned another thing too. That is men have more water than women.
That is because they drink more beer.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:33 AM   #32
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been weighing myself in the morning and at night for about 18 months now, since I started exercising regularly. Sometimes I also weigh myself during the day just for "fun." I find that since I hit my ideal body weight, my weight has stayed pretty darn close to the 165 and 167 range. I consistently weigh less in the morning, typically by about 1.5 pounds. That is unless I snack within a couple hours before bed the night before... in which case my weight is pretty much the same as the night before. Not sure if that's because of the timing of the snacking or the type of snacking. The healthier, higher fiber stuff really keeps my metabolism going whereas the chips and salty snacks really slow it down. I'm sure it's the combination of the bad food followed by complete inactivity at bedtime. I learned that evening snacking is a no-no if you're trying to watch your weight but I'll still do this one or maybe two days a week. I think much of my intraday weight variation is simply due to water loss and gain. I went from 166 to 162 one morning after doing 5 hours of yard work in the heat. And I can add pounds drinking several glasses of water after a workout. Sometimes it seems that I'm a little obsessed about monitoring my weight, but for me it has helped to maintain good habits and avoid (or at least limit) bad habits.
panacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:55 AM   #33

I'm currently at my weight target. I weigh first thing each morning and see daily variations of about +/- 2%. I attribute this to water, and suspect it's pretty much based on salt intake. Pizza is an impressive salt source and weighing shows the effects of eating that for a couple of days.

Coach
Old 06-30-2014, 07:03 AM   #34

I weigh myself after bike rides, which amounts to three times a week. I do it then because I'm consistent and probably as dehydrated as I get... I think it's a good measure of true bodyweight. Generally, I stay consistently in a two-lb range. If I weigh myself in an off time, I can be as much as 4lbs heavier than my lightest weight. For me, those amount to no more than 3% change from water, etc.

Makes sense you weigh less in the morning - we dehydrate quite a bit while we sleep, and you haven't eaten anything in probably 10 hours or more.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:10 AM   #35
gone traveling

I don't care very much what the scale reads, as I place more importance on what I see in the mirror
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:21 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
That is because they drink more beer.
One would think so. However, beer doesn't stay inside me long.

Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I'm currently at my weight target. I weigh first thing each morning and see daily variations of about +/- 2%.
Quote:
Originally Posted by panacea View Post
I've been weighing myself in the morning and at night for about 18 months now, since I started exercising regularly. Sometimes I also weigh myself during the day just for "fun." I find that since I hit my ideal body weight, my weight has stayed pretty darn close to the 165 and 167 range. I consistently weigh less in the morning, typically by about 1.5 pounds.
I have seen the same thing. I got down to 162 about two years ago and see my morning weight stay right there with the occasional fluctuation up to +- 2 pounds. Eating junk for a day doesn't seem to make a difference. I haven't tried eating poorly for several days in a row and hope to avoid that.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:21 AM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Man---this subject it too weighty for me!
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
I'm a big guy, so that 10 lbs is between 4% and 5% of my total weight, or about 7% of my body water, assuming I'm only about 40% snakes and snails, etc, with the rest being water.
......don't forget puppy dog tails
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #40

Since we've derailed....

The majority of your body is parasitic and symbiotic organisms that you cannot live without. Furthermore, at the atomic level, each atom is 99.999% empty space. "You" are much less than you believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote