Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-04-2014, 08:08 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been working with a nutritionist for about five months, and I started weighing myself daily at the end of April. She has managed to help me take off about 18 pounds of fat while keeping, and eventually gaining, muscle. We weigh in every two weeks, but I started doing it daily at home just to see what it looked like.

The nutrition plan changes every two weeks, and my training this year has been on monthly cycles, but the weight loss was very slow and very consistent. Body weight, until recently, never changed more than one half of a percent per day. Even when she added in no-carb days with extra cardio, the fluctuation was minimal. The fat was still slowly coming off and I was happy about that. What I wasn't liking was the loss of the explosive energy to move heavy weight in power moves.

Eight weeks ago she introduced the concept of cheat meals, and I saw dramatic shifts. My explosive energy came back. I also saw dramatic shifts in weight and body composition. I can gain 5 pounds in one day, and then lose it within 24-48 hours.

I weighed in last week, and in the preceding two week period I had lost 1 pound of fat and gained two pounds of lean body mass. That's amazing. I gave her a hug.

Last night was a cheat meal night (spaghetti with meatballs and meat sauce followed by a chocolate milkshake). I was 191.2 yesterday morning, today I was 196.2. That's a 2.6% increase in one day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I would sure like to see some citations on that one!

Ha
you are outnumbered by bacteria by 10-1...

Humans Carry More Bacterial Cells than Human Ones - Scientific American

If you removed the empty space in the atoms making up humans, the entire population of the earth would fit inside a sugar cube...

Top 4 Bonkers things about the universe | Latest Features | physics.org

Old 07-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #63

[QUOTE=dallas27;1467557]you are outnumbered by bacteria by 10-1...
[QUOTE]

Of course that is by cell count, not weight or volume.

And also remember bacteria does not equal disease causing germs.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-04-2014, 10:14 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas27 View Post
If you removed the empty space in the atoms making up humans, the entire population of the earth would fit inside a sugar cube...

Top 4 Bonkers things about the universe | Latest Features | physics.org
This article seems to try to view the atom as a "miniature solar system". But that model is a very misleading one. An atom is not just little balls moving about in a (comparatively) large volume.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:15 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I had no idea atoms had balls.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I had no idea atoms had balls.
This is a common misunderstanding. Physics tells us that atoms actually are unisex.

Old 07-04-2014, 10:27 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Quote:
you are outnumbered by bacteria by 10-1...
Of course that is by cell count, not weight or volume.
Still, I've read that the critters living on and in us amount to 3-4 pounds.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:44 AM   #68
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I've been working with a nutritionist for about five months, and I started weighing myself daily at the end of April. She has managed to help me take off about 18 pounds of fat while keeping, and eventually gaining, muscle. We weigh in every two weeks, but I started doing it daily at home just to see what it looked like.

The nutrition plan changes every two weeks, and my training this year has been on monthly cycles, but the weight loss was very slow and very consistent. Body weight, until recently, never changed more than one half of a percent per day. Even when she added in no-carb days with extra cardio, the fluctuation was minimal. The fat was still slowly coming off and I was happy about that. What I wasn't liking was the loss of the explosive energy to move heavy weight in power moves.

Eight weeks ago she introduced the concept of cheat meals, and I saw dramatic shifts. My explosive energy came back. I also saw dramatic shifts in weight and body composition. I can gain 5 pounds in one day, and then lose it within 24-48 hours.

I weighed in last week, and in the preceding two week period I had lost 1 pound of fat and gained two pounds of lean body mass. That's amazing. I gave her a hug.

Last night was a cheat meal night (spaghetti with meatballs and meat sauce followed by a chocolate milkshake). I was 191.2 yesterday morning, today I was 196.2. That's a 2.6% increase in one day.
You are also doing some extremely demanding workouts (just thought I'd add that for those who are not reading the workouts thread).

I'd kill for your cheat meal! BTW I sometimes gain that much in a day when we go to a Chinese restaurant, even if I make "wise choices" like shrimp with broccoli. Gains like that disappear in a day or two if I drink a lot of water.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
But that model is a very misleading one.
All models are wrong, by definition. They exist only to make a point.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:29 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
You are also doing some extremely demanding workouts (just thought I'd add that for those who are not reading the workouts thread).
Thanks, I didn't think about mentioning all of that, I just thought the fluctuations interesting. Yes, everything I'm doing is all part of a multi-year training plan (I'm just starting year three this month) overseen by professionals, and with a goal of competing in something called "The Toughest Competitor Alive", next June. So, yeah, it's kind of crazy and well beyond what anyone with less-than-athletic goals would need. In other words, don't do what I'm doing unless you have a great trainer working with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'd kill for your cheat meal! BTW I sometimes gain that much in a day when we go to a Chinese restaurant, even if I make "wise choices" like shrimp with broccoli. Gains like that disappear in a day or two if I drink a lot of water.
I think the temporary fluctuation in weight gain can be caused by different things. In my case I think it's the sudden influx of glycogen from all the carb and sugar intake that's attracting water molecules. Or that's what the internet and my nutritionist tell me.

But after years of eating clean, and months of eating very-low-carb and no-carb, I love being told, "Eat whatever you want in a 45-minute window. Don't eat clean, eat as dirty as possible."
Old 07-04-2014, 12:38 PM   #71
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
But after years of eating clean, and months of eating very-low-carb and no-carb, I love being told, "Eat whatever you want in a 45-minute window. Don't eat clean, eat as dirty as possible."
Oh my, I'm afraid that in my case, both pizza and chocolate would be involved. And bacon.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #72
Recycles dryer sheets

I have gained in the first six months of retirement. Didn't weigh myself but noticed I really liked my loose clothes. I was pretending they were just retirement clothes...With diabetes it is really imperative that I am healthier and lose some weight. Started this week watching my blood sugars and found that when I am in the normal range I am not as hungry...well I knew that already, I was just ignoring it!
Old 07-04-2014, 05:00 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
All models are wrong, by definition. They exist only to make a point.
Right. I'm just too caught up in some of this physics stuff. Did not mean to be too pedantic. Have a good July 4th!
Old 07-04-2014, 09:32 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
OP, Why are you weighing yourself so often? I thought if you were tracking your weight for health reasons you were suppose to weigh yourself about once a week or so.
OK, you pushed a button! I should maybe add this to the 'pet peeves' thread!

I've seen this recommendation by dietary 'experts' a million times - that you should weigh yourself only once a week. But those people are not measurement experts (metrologists), and weighing is in the field of metrology. So they are out of their field of expertise.

A little background - most of my career was involved in measuring things. All kinds of things. To be efficient and effective, you need to know something about the thing you are measuring ('characterize' it), it might be stable, variable, drift with temperature or time (short and/or long term drifts), or be affected by the measuring instrument itself. And then you need to know the goal, do you need a quick & dirty estimate, or a very accurate, traceable measurement, etc.

So how does a metrologist tackle this? OK, so we know that a person's weight exhibits short term variations for many different reasons (all discussed in this thread). But someone on a diet is really interested in their longer term weight change. If I'm dealing with something that has short term drift, I certainly don't take fewer measurements, I take more measurements, more often, and then apply some filtering tools to those results.

So let's look at this for weight loss. You might have a goal of losing one pound a week. And lets say you were meeting that goal. But we have seen that a single reading might easily vary by plus/minus two pounds due to all these short term variations:

Case A) Imagine our short term variations were just one pound on the light side on the first Wednesday, and the next Wednesday we were just one pound on the heavy side. We would think we gained one pound, and likely would look into changing our diet further. But a daily measurement averaged would have washed out those variations, and shown that we were on goal to lose a pound a week, keep up this diet plan.

Case B) Imagine our short term variations were just one pound on the heavy side on the first Wednesday, and the next Wednesday we were just one pound on the light side. We would think we lost three pounds, we might celebrate and pig-out, or ease up on our diet. But a daily measurement averaged would have washed out those variations, and told us to continue what we were doing.

We might make big changes to our diet plan, based on two very different 'results' from totally false information from 'noise' and too few measurements to filter out that noise.

If the reading fluctuates, take more readings, and apply some averaging functions. When I was tracking my weight, I did this. I weighed myself on the same scale every day at work, at the same time, under as closely repeatable conditions as I could. I'd throw out the high and the low for the week, and average the rest, and track each week. That smoothed the variations pretty well. Even w/o any math, just take the median each week (throw out highs and lows until just the middle number is remaining) would be pretty good.

Taking one reading a week is the worst advice one could give/get!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Just some technical bits about electronic scales - In my consultant days, I designed an electronic office scale for a well-known scale company. ....

Oh, about the care and feeding of digital load cell scales - Don't leave loads on them, don't store stuff on top of them, and keep them upright, don't stand them on their side for storage. And don't overload or shock-overload them. They will "appear" to be all right, but a permanent tiny deformation created in the load cell will always be there, and it will introduce a non-linearity that was never intended by the developers. A resulting fixed-offset can be "zeroed" away, but not the created non-linearity.
Thanks for that - I do tend to store our kitchen scale with some things on top. So I just changed that and stack it vertically.

-ERD50