Daily percent change in your weight

When I become concerned about gaining, I just stand on my tip toes, on the scale, and all is well again. If I've gained too much, I just stand on one foot.
Carrying a gallon of water, puts me over the scale limit of 300lbs.

Hey Walt34!... If I lost half of my weight, I'd feel weak... if you lost the same amount, you wouldn't be here.

Only kidding... am kinda big, but not that big.

Last edited:
I think dallas27 pretty well nailed it:
Word of advice, weight doesn't matter, the mirror is 1000 times more useful in measuring health.

Well, actually I don't totally agree with this. I do agree with it to a point.

That is, I do think that body composition as a whole is more important simply looking at BMI (or at weight). Some people can indeed be overweight according to BMI, but have an ideal body composition (% of fat) while another person might be "normal weight" according to BMI and be very fat by body composition.

Also, weight does not necessarily equal health. That is, someone may be overweight and have few health problems, while someone else might have a lot of health problems. Here is a staging system that I think does a good job of assessing this:

Edmonton Obesity Staging System | Dr. Sharma's Obesity Notes

But -- I do have problems with the just look in the mirror advice:

1. How you subjectively think you look in the mirror is not necessarily reflective of health or of obesity-related complications. The staging system above addresses this. Two people might look the same in the mirror (in terms of being overweight), but one might have obesity-related complications and health problems while the other one might not. You can't tell these just be seeing the person in the mirror.

2. There are tons of people who need a more objective measurement than just subjectively looking in the mirror. I've been working on losing weight (down 41 pounds currently with 19 to go). I write a weight loss blog and visit tons of other blogs and take part in a weight loss forum.

There are lots and lots of people who cannot subjectively determine whether they need to lose weight for health reasons or not. Men are much more likely to think they look fine, when in reality they are obese. (And, I am not talking about guys who are weightlifters with low body fat. I'm talking about guys who have a high body fat percentage).

Some women think they are "fat" when they look in the mirror when they are at a very normal, healthy weight. They compare themselves to models and have no clue as to what is actually normal, healthy weight.

The point is that looking in the mirror is very subjective and doesn't necessarily reflect someone's real health situation.

3. When losing weight, the feedback from the mirror is nice, but is too slow to really help with telling you if there is progress going on. I had lost 20 pounds before I could really see a difference in the mirror. Even now, having lost 41 pounds, I can still tell in the mirror I need to lose more and I can't tell all that much difference. So, the mirror isn't very useful feedback for me. If I have a week and I lose 1 pound that is incredibly motivating to me. However, I can't see that difference in the mirror at all.

Now -- if I was at my normal weight and was working on body composition -- then looking at the mirror would be very useful for me. But, as one of the majority of people who need to lose weight (not just improve body fat), I get a benefit from actually weighing myself. Although, that is not the only information I look at.

I read somewhere that we burn about 70% of our calories just existing - breathing, pumping blood, warming the body, etc. That would seem to tilt us towards a lower weight in the morning since we are still burning a lot of calories, but probably haven't eaten for 8-12 hours.

It is true that we lose weight overnight, even in the pre-geezer days when we did not have to wake up to go to the bathroom. We are constantly breathing out CO2 and H2O. The carbon in that CO2 and some of that hydrogen come from metabolizing food. We also lose moisture by breathing it out. I remember reading somewhere we lose more than 1 lb of carbon overnight.

Just some technical bits about electronic scales - In my consultant days, I designed an electronic office scale for a well-known scale company.

Had to teach myself quick about Load Cells. A Load Cell is a rectangular block of material, usually aluminum, that has two large holes machined through its wide face. The holes overlap, or have a channel cut between them. On the wide face are mounted four small strain gauges, connected in a bridge configuration to maximize the electrical output. The load is applied to one end of the cell, the other end attaches to the support. The deformation of the block through the holes is detected by the strain gauges. The electrical output is in the millivolt range, and is amplified then digitized. Software converts the digital output to the displayed output via a look-up table as the basic method.

Load Cells have a memory effect, a creep, I can't remember the proper term for it. When the scale is not in use, the weight of the pan is on it. Turning it on, one can zero it, or an auto-zero may be done by software. All this does is move a pointer in the table entry.
The "zeroing" can also be used to Tare. The user then puts the object on to be weighed, and reads the scale output. The longer the load is on the scale, and the heavier the load is as a percentage of maximum, the more "set" the load cell will retain when the load is removed. When the load is removed, the load cell will not immediately go back to its TRUE zero-load point. If it has not been overloaded, it will drift back in time. This is a mechanical effect of load cells, not electronic.

A load cell with minimal set memory is a more expensive load cell. A cheap one can set quite a bit. Software algorithms can cover-up a cheaper load cell, many users may not notice for their use.

I think the only scale type that would not exhibit any kind of set memory would be a true balance scale.

Oh, about the care and feeding of digital load cell scales - Don't leave loads on them, don't store stuff on top of them, and keep them upright, don't stand them on their side for storage. And don't overload or shock-overload them. They will "appear" to be all right, but a permanent tiny deformation created in the load cell will always be there, and it will introduce a non-linearity that was never intended by the developers. A resulting fixed-offset can be "zeroed" away, but not the created non-linearity.

it will introduce a non-linearity that was never intended by the developers.

Thanks for an enlightening lesson. True Geek stuff! :D It's always amazing to find out how things really work.

But, I am fearful of the non-linearity effect. :hide:
I think Dr. Who once saved the earth from a non-linearity that was threatening to disrupt time and send us all into non-exisistence. So, please treat your bathroom scales very well. :angel:

I think Dr. Who once saved the earth from a non-linearity that was threatening to disrupt time and send us all into non-exisistence. So, please treat your bathroom scales very well. :angel:

Yes, those non-linearityies are nasty stuff, only to be used by professionals and not amateurs. And certainly not at home.:LOL:

Since we've derailed....

The majority of your body is parasitic and symbiotic organisms that you cannot live without. Furthermore, at the atomic level, each atom is 99.999% empty space. "You" are much less than you believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
I would sure like to see some citations on that one!

Ha

I've wondered about that picture of an atom being mostly empty space. Modern models view electrons, for instance, as charge clouds. They are point particles but cannot be located (Heisenberg uncertainty) exactly in that cloud. Maybe a bit like a rapidly spinning propeller ... the propeller's spacial volume is hardly "empty".

Here and
here and
here and
here.

When we talk about "empty space", we are in our minds contrasting that with "filled space" that has matter in it. But our conception of the matter that fills the space isn't really very robust. Matter has properties of mass and charge and weak and strong forces within it, but what properties of matter actually reflects volume in the subatomic space-filling sense? Our minds are asking a macroscopic question about microscopic stuff. Kind of like, "what color is a neutron?" The robot in Lost in Space said it well....does not compute.

Last edited:
I've been working with a nutritionist for about five months, and I started weighing myself daily at the end of April. She has managed to help me take off about 18 pounds of fat while keeping, and eventually gaining, muscle. We weigh in every two weeks, but I started doing it daily at home just to see what it looked like.

The nutrition plan changes every two weeks, and my training this year has been on monthly cycles, but the weight loss was very slow and very consistent. Body weight, until recently, never changed more than one half of a percent per day. Even when she added in no-carb days with extra cardio, the fluctuation was minimal. The fat was still slowly coming off and I was happy about that. What I wasn't liking was the loss of the explosive energy to move heavy weight in power moves.

Eight weeks ago she introduced the concept of cheat meals, and I saw dramatic shifts. My explosive energy came back. I also saw dramatic shifts in weight and body composition. I can gain 5 pounds in one day, and then lose it within 24-48 hours.

I weighed in last week, and in the preceding two week period I had lost 1 pound of fat and gained two pounds of lean body mass. That's amazing. I gave her a hug.

Last night was a cheat meal night (spaghetti with meatballs and meat sauce followed by a chocolate milkshake). I was 191.2 yesterday morning, today I was 196.2. That's a 2.6% increase in one day.

Last edited:
I've been working with a nutritionist for about five months, and I started weighing myself daily at the end of April. She has managed to help me take off about 18 pounds of fat while keeping, and eventually gaining, muscle. We weigh in every two weeks, but I started doing it daily at home just to see what it looked like.

The nutrition plan changes every two weeks, and my training this year has been on monthly cycles, but the weight loss was very slow and very consistent. Body weight, until recently, never changed more than one half of a percent per day. Even when she added in no-carb days with extra cardio, the fluctuation was minimal. The fat was still slowly coming off and I was happy about that. What I wasn't liking was the loss of the explosive energy to move heavy weight in power moves.

Eight weeks ago she introduced the concept of cheat meals, and I saw dramatic shifts. My explosive energy came back. I also saw dramatic shifts in weight and body composition. I can gain 5 pounds in one day, and then lose it within 24-48 hours.

I weighed in last week, and in the preceding two week period I had lost 1 pound of fat and gained two pounds of lean body mass. That's amazing. I gave her a hug.

Last night was a cheat meal night (spaghetti with meatballs and meat sauce followed by a chocolate milkshake). I was 191.2 yesterday morning, today I was 196.2. That's a 2.6% increase in one day.

You are also doing some extremely demanding workouts (just thought I'd add that for those who are not reading the workouts thread).

I'd kill for your cheat meal! :ROFLMAO: BTW I sometimes gain that much in a day when we go to a Chinese restaurant, even if I make "wise choices" like shrimp with broccoli. Gains like that disappear in a day or two if I drink a lot of water.

Last edited:
You are also doing some extremely demanding workouts (just thought I'd add that for those who are not reading the workouts thread).
Thanks, I didn't think about mentioning all of that, I just thought the fluctuations interesting. Yes, everything I'm doing is all part of a multi-year training plan (I'm just starting year three this month) overseen by professionals, and with a goal of competing in something called "The Toughest Competitor Alive", next June. So, yeah, it's kind of crazy and well beyond what anyone with less-than-athletic goals would need. In other words, don't do what I'm doing unless you have a great trainer working with you.
I'd kill for your cheat meal! :ROFLMAO: BTW I sometimes gain that much in a day when we go to a Chinese restaurant, even if I make "wise choices" like shrimp with broccoli. Gains like that disappear in a day or two if I drink a lot of water.
I think the temporary fluctuation in weight gain can be caused by different things. In my case I think it's the sudden influx of glycogen from all the carb and sugar intake that's attracting water molecules. Or that's what the internet and my nutritionist tell me.

But after years of eating clean, and months of eating very-low-carb and no-carb, I love being told, "Eat whatever you want in a 45-minute window. Don't eat clean, eat as dirty as possible."

Last edited:
But after years of eating clean, and months of eating very-low-carb and no-carb, I love being told, "Eat whatever you want in a 45-minute window. Don't eat clean, eat as dirty as possible."

Oh my, I'm afraid that in my case, both pizza and chocolate would be involved. And bacon. :baconflag:

I have gained in the first six months of retirement. Didn't weigh myself but noticed I really liked my loose clothes. I was pretending they were just retirement clothes...With diabetes it is really imperative that I am healthier and lose some weight. Started this week watching my blood sugars and found that when I am in the normal range I am not as hungry...well I knew that already, I was just ignoring it!

OP, Why are you weighing yourself so often? I thought if you were tracking your weight for health reasons you were suppose to weigh yourself about once a week or so.

OK, you pushed a button! I should maybe add this to the 'pet peeves' thread! :)

I've seen this recommendation by dietary 'experts' a million times - that you should weigh yourself only once a week. But those people are not measurement experts (metrologists), and weighing is in the field of metrology. So they are out of their field of expertise.

A little background - most of my career was involved in measuring things. All kinds of things. To be efficient and effective, you need to know something about the thing you are measuring ('characterize' it), it might be stable, variable, drift with temperature or time (short and/or long term drifts), or be affected by the measuring instrument itself. And then you need to know the goal, do you need a quick & dirty estimate, or a very accurate, traceable measurement, etc.

So how does a metrologist tackle this? OK, so we know that a person's weight exhibits short term variations for many different reasons (all discussed in this thread). But someone on a diet is really interested in their longer term weight change. If I'm dealing with something that has short term drift, I certainly don't take fewer measurements, I take more measurements, more often, and then apply some filtering tools to those results.

So let's look at this for weight loss. You might have a goal of losing one pound a week. And lets say you were meeting that goal. But we have seen that a single reading might easily vary by plus/minus two pounds due to all these short term variations:

Case A) Imagine our short term variations were just one pound on the light side on the first Wednesday, and the next Wednesday we were just one pound on the heavy side. We would think we gained one pound, and likely would look into changing our diet further. But a daily measurement averaged would have washed out those variations, and shown that we were on goal to lose a pound a week, keep up this diet plan.

Case B) Imagine our short term variations were just one pound on the heavy side on the first Wednesday, and the next Wednesday we were just one pound on the light side. We would think we lost three pounds, we might celebrate and pig-out, or ease up on our diet. But a daily measurement averaged would have washed out those variations, and told us to continue what we were doing.

We might make big changes to our diet plan, based on two very different 'results' from totally false information from 'noise' and too few measurements to filter out that noise.

If the reading fluctuates, take more readings, and apply some averaging functions. When I was tracking my weight, I did this. I weighed myself on the same scale every day at work, at the same time, under as closely repeatable conditions as I could. I'd throw out the high and the low for the week, and average the rest, and track each week. That smoothed the variations pretty well. Even w/o any math, just take the median each week (throw out highs and lows until just the middle number is remaining) would be pretty good.

Taking one reading a week is the worst advice one could give/get!

Just some technical bits about electronic scales - In my consultant days, I designed an electronic office scale for a well-known scale company. ....

Oh, about the care and feeding of digital load cell scales - Don't leave loads on them, don't store stuff on top of them, and keep them upright, don't stand them on their side for storage. And don't overload or shock-overload them. They will "appear" to be all right, but a permanent tiny deformation created in the load cell will always be there, and it will introduce a non-linearity that was never intended by the developers. A resulting fixed-offset can be "zeroed" away, but not the created non-linearity.

Thanks for that - I do tend to store our kitchen scale with some things on top. So I just changed that and stack it vertically.

-ERD50

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom