Join Early Retirement Today
Old 11-20-2015, 07:01 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
Mr. Number is now available for iOS so just downloaded it to try. Thanks!

Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
How does this handle the legitimate 'info' calls - like doctor/dentist appointment reminders, many of which are 'robots' now? I doubt that their robotic system knows to 'press 0 and call back'? These go to the answering machine now, which is just what I want.

Being dependent on Caller ID isn't great, the scammers have been spoofing that to trick systems like this and NoMoRoBo (still cuts down, does not eliminate).

I just wish my ans machine would auto-delete, and not beep, when 'someone' does not leave a message. The scammers seem to almost never leave a message.

In advanced (on) mode, the default of this device is to screen out calls not on the wait list. So, if you expect a legitimate automated call from a doc or dentist, if you already know the number, you can add that number manually. If not, then you can leave the device on basic (off) mode and wait until the call comes through, then add that to the whitelist. Of course, while in basic mode, all calls good and bad come through. Once calls are added on the whitelist, they go through directly bypassing the screening.

The good thing about this call blocker is the default of screening (while in advanced mode). I was getting a call from a caller named "Doctors Group" and they would always spoof to change the number around and call early in the morning. Now when they call (not too often as I think they know I'm on to them ), the call blocker only gives them one ring before going to the screener.

With the call blocker, it is nice to come home and see if my answering machine shows 2 messages, there are 2 legit messages and 0 robocalls. Before, for example, the machine may show 7 messages, but only 2 of them are from people I know, the rest are robocalls or dials tones when a telemarketer hung up.

Have you ever seen a headstone with these words
"If only I had spent more time at work" ... from "Busy Man" sung by Billy Ray Cyrus
easysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Occasionally, we get a weird message where someone (always a man who sounds young, and with a local accent) will say Mr. Amethyst's first name several times as if he's very well acquainted with Mr. A. "Pick up! Are you there?"

As everyone knows, Mr. A. is a gentleman of some maturity. Anyone entitled to call him by his first name, is someone we already know. But we entertain ourselves with the notion of me picking up during the call and saying, "Yeah, this is [name], whattaya want?" in my best NJ-girl voice.
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success to be able to spend your life in your own way. Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:16 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

I've been using Mighty Text for a while and really like it. Can't 'type' worth a damn on my cell phone and using a keyboard is very nice.
"Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Pogo Possum (Walt Kelly)
Nodak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 08:24 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets
I haven't had a landline in over 15 years. I've recently been getting some unsolicited calls on my cell phone despite being on the Do Not Call registry. The funny thing is that most of the calls I get now are these unsolicited ones, as my friends and family mostly just text or email me.

I noticed my iPhone allows me to block numbers I don't want to hear from, so I've begun using that.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote