Join Early Retirement Today

Dancing in Shanghai...
Old 10-22-2004, 09:08 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dancing in Shanghai...

Last night was my lucky night-I went bal room dancing with four attractive Chinese ladies in Shanghai.

Yeah, I know, who cares but it was interesting observing a Chinese social setting...

Qin was my date and she brought her teen age daughter Lee. Qin's friends Zu and Xin completed my gang.

Before you get the wrong idea, these ladies are respectible and the dance hall was packed with mature Chinese, in the 40 to 50 age group.

Qin insisted on paying the entrance tickets for everyone-pretty pricy at 7 yuan per ticket. All of my trips to the ATM have netted me 8.17 yuan (RMB) to the US 1, so you do the math. Oh, the 7 RMB entrance fee included unlimited refill of green tea. Musta been a tee-totaling crowd, because Lance saw no alcohol consumed on the premises.

I was suprised, never knowing that the Chinese LOVED to dance ball room style. Qin tellls me that this particular hall opens at 8:30 am; 2pm ish and the final rag cutting is at 7:30 pm. Funny, but the peak dace period seems to be the early morning session. Go figure...

Man, I descended into a trance and could not get enough of watching these graceful couples gliding, and swirling across, over and around the floor. Qin was assisting Lee with her cha-cha steps and all four ladies were coaching me on how to make my two left feet imitate something called dancing. It kinda worked

When the band took a break, some DJ played some pretty tame disco numbers, but the crowd's dancing skills kinda went south form that point. Sure, they were enthusiastic, but the Latin movement thing just isn't in the blood. At least it wasn't last night.

I'm not handsome, Hollywood will never be knocking on my door and babies usually cry when they see me, but last night was s special memory.

Lance

PS-Full disclosure- I had several refills of tea. Why not, they were all inclusive...

Lancelot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Dancing in Shanghai...
Old 10-23-2004, 07:06 AM   #2

Lance,
So good to hear your learing how to dance...Chinese style. I am sure that will pay off down the road...LOL

Here in Ecuador, the beautiful Latin Ladies have moves that make my eyes buldge..really! So far, I am staying on the sidelines..perhaps I need more tea.

Billy
Website www.geocities.com/ba264
Old 10-24-2004, 04:53 AM   #3

Hey Billy,

Keep us posted on Ecuador!

Got a Chinese foot massage tonight-about $3.50 for one hour (tea included.) A little different technique than in Thailand, but enjoyable nonethe less...

Lance

Old 10-24-2004, 08:34 AM   #4

Lance,
My guess is that after all of the dancing your feet needed a rub down...good price.

Yes, I will be loading stuff up on our site as it can be produced regarding Ecuador. So far, Quito is very interesting, and yesterday I had the best steak in my life. Seriously, it was wonderful. A full pound of grilled beef for $8.00...tea not included, but a salad and potatos were.

Billy
Website www.geocities.com/ba264
Old 10-24-2004, 07:19 PM   #5

Billy,

The steak sounds wonderfull! You know about the beef in Thailand...

The massage girls get 30% of the massage price or about $1 for a one-hour massage. On a good day, they might get 6 or 7 customers, so you can see what they can earn in a month.

I stopped by a Shanghai stock brokers office today. Tons of Chinese glued to individual tv screens, shopping for that undiscovered, hot sleeper. My perception is that the Chinese are more into day trading (at least at this brokerage house.)

I saw business people, peasants, housewives, all participating in China's economic miracle. Quite a site .

Lance