Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #41
Gone but not forgotten

I rarely watch "Dancing with the stars " but frankly the thought of a major political figure & their families sinking to reality TV is nauseating ! What's next a cameo on "Jersey Shore " ?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
The North may have won the war but lost most of the battles.
True, but I do recall a small meeting at Appatomox by a couple generals that was somewhat significant..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Old 11-17-2010, 01:09 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Look, FinDude, you should know that we aren't going to let you back in the South if you keep bringing up the late unpleasantness.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:16 PM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Eye Candy Show? Don't forget the season where Woz competed (actually my favorite casting choice of all time):
I was going to make a comment about staying alert for wardrobe malfunctions, but then you had to go and post that image of Woz.

I'd love to have the show's concession on Pro-Grip and fabric tape...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
True, but I do recall a small meeting at Appatomox by a couple generals that was somewhat significant..........
Yup, but by then most of the battles were over. I think the South went to Appatomox Court House just to get some food and shoes.
Old 11-17-2010, 01:59 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Yup, but by then most of the battles were over. I think the South went to Appatomox Court House just to get some food and shoes.

Right after that, my great-great grandfather & his brother (confederate soldiers) were released from Fort Delaware, where they were held as prisoners after being captured a few months earlier.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #47
Administrator

It took 29 posts to move from a TV dance show to the civil war, even though the Tea Party was mentioned as abusing its power in OP's initial post. What took so long?
Old 11-17-2010, 02:11 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Here you go, Alan. Christmas is coming!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikini_rebseq.jpg (31.5 KB, 1 views)

Old 11-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #49
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Here you go, Alan. Christmas is coming!
Nice picture - I would have thought the bra (North) would have the stars and stripes and the panties (South) the Confederate battle flag.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:17 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
It took 29 posts to move from a TV dance show to the civil war, even though the Tea Party was mentioned as abusing its power in OP's initial post. What took so long?

Old 11-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Sarah, that's actually sort of pretty. Is it yours?

On the other side of the pond, swimwear is more sensible, of course:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BK-UNJK.jpg (60.9 KB, 144 views)
Old 11-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Oh, gawd no--I was looking for something else and came across a breathtakingly non-PC site that had all sorts of these gems and had to send a link to my most easily appalled Southern transplant friend.
I am pretty sure that I own nothing with the stars and bars on it. But to each his or her own. There is a cutesy coming-of-age movie called "Shag" (and no, Alan, not that kind) that features a memorable scene of Bridget Fonda doing a butt floss with a Confederate flag and this friend loves that movie, so I thought I'd convince her to buy one.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

I would never watch a chick show like this. There isn't room on my Tivo because of all my Project Runway recordings.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, gawd no--I was looking for something else and came across a breathtakingly non-PC site that had all sorts of these gems and had to send a link to my most easily appalled Southern transplant friend.
I am pretty sure that I own nothing with the stars and bars on it. But to each his or her own. There is a cutesy coming-of-age movie called "Shag" (and no, Alan, not that kind) that features a memorable scene of Bridget Fonda doing a butt floss with a Confederate flag and this friend loves that movie, so I thought I'd convince her to buy one.
I still have that movie, but no VHS to watch it on. (I just saw that it is now on DVD, maybe I'll get a new copy.) I think it's funny to call these movies chick flics- the girls want it from the boys, and the boys want it from the girls-usually even more so. I would way rather watch people making out (and going about life) than people blowing one another up, which I guess is what it takes allows a movie to escape chick flic opprobrium.

More than anything this movie is about social class in the South, and how many contortions girls had to go through back in the day to avoid slutdom. Wha hello, Mzzz Clutterbuck...

After the shagging- (note to sensitives who might be inclined to report me for lewd talk--whatever it may of may or may not mean in England, shag is a perfectly respectable dance from Myrtle Beach, SC, USA, and shagging is the present participle, or gerund of the verb to shag)- my favorite scene was when after a night of making out, Carson (Phoebe Cates) tells her girlfriends "Ahm wahld, just wahld".

Ha
Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Glad you liked it--my Seattle-born friend I referenced was obsessed with the movie (she even looks a bit like Phoebe Cates) made me go with her to Shag lessons after seeing it. Their Southern accents are a bit painfully over the top, but I can overlook that.
It definitely characterizes Southern mores in a time before mine, but the bikini contest is still spot on--just check out the Windjammer on the Isle of Palms during the Budweiser Summer bikini contest if you don't believe me!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:00 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I've been watching Dancing With The Stars.

Wow, Dex, you just blew my entire pre-conceived impression about you. I'm impressed!
Old 11-17-2010, 08:10 PM   #57

I spent much of my youth hanging out in and around Myrtle Beach. My hometown is about 110 miles from there. The group Alabama used to play there for free and/or cheap, at the Bowery, before they made it big. I remember some of them waiting tables, and to this day, the drummer dude still owes my a friend of mine a few bucks he loaned him, don't recall the amount. Probably wasn't much, we were all pretty broke...lol!

Old 11-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
--just check out the Windjammer on the Isle of Palms during the Budweiser Summer bikini contest if you don't believe me!
This post is useless without pictures...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
This post is useless without pictures...
All you want: The Windjammer - Front Beach, Isle of Palms, SC - Always a Jam Good Time!

It would seem that the more "girl next door" is favored over the more obviously enhanced ones.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #60
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post
I've been watching Dancing With The Stars.
Dex,
Admitting that you have a problem is the first step toward recovery; hope you are able to overcome this terrible affliction and lead a normal life.
Best,
WS
Closed Thread