Dancing with the Stars - abuse of power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sarah, that's actually sort of pretty. Is it yours?

On the other side of the pond, swimwear is more sensible, of course:

Attachments

• BK-UNJK.jpg
    BK-UNJK.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 144
Oh, gawd no--I was looking for something else and came across a breathtakingly non-PC site that had all sorts of these gems and had to send a link to my most easily appalled Southern transplant friend. :)
I am pretty sure that I own nothing with the stars and bars on it. But to each his or her own. There is a cutesy coming-of-age movie called "Shag" (and no, Alan, not that kind) that features a memorable scene of Bridget Fonda doing a butt floss with a Confederate flag and this friend loves that movie, so I thought I'd convince her to buy one.

Last edited:
I would never watch a chick show like this. There isn't room on my Tivo because of all my Project Runway recordings.

Oh, gawd no--I was looking for something else and came across a breathtakingly non-PC site that had all sorts of these gems and had to send a link to my most easily appalled Southern transplant friend. :)
I am pretty sure that I own nothing with the stars and bars on it. But to each his or her own. There is a cutesy coming-of-age movie called "Shag" (and no, Alan, not that kind) that features a memorable scene of Bridget Fonda doing a butt floss with a Confederate flag and this friend loves that movie, so I thought I'd convince her to buy one.

I still have that movie, but no VHS to watch it on. (I just saw that it is now on DVD, maybe I'll get a new copy.) I think it's funny to call these movies chick flics- the girls want it from the boys, and the boys want it from the girls-usually even more so. I would way rather watch people making out (and going about life) than people blowing one another up, which I guess is what it takes allows a movie to escape chick flic opprobrium.

More than anything this movie is about social class in the South, and how many contortions girls had to go through back in the day to avoid slutdom. Wha hello, Mzzz Clutterbuck...

After the shagging- (note to sensitives who might be inclined to report me for lewd talk--whatever it may of may or may not mean in England, shag is a perfectly respectable dance from Myrtle Beach, SC, USA, and shagging is the present participle, or gerund of the verb to shag)- my favorite scene was when after a night of making out, Carson (Phoebe Cates) tells her girlfriends "Ahm wahld, just wahld".

Ha

Glad you liked it--my Seattle-born friend I referenced was obsessed with the movie (she even looks a bit like Phoebe Cates) made me go with her to Shag lessons after seeing it. Their Southern accents are a bit painfully over the top, but I can overlook that.
It definitely characterizes Southern mores in a time before mine, but the bikini contest is still spot on--just check out the Windjammer on the Isle of Palms during the Budweiser Summer bikini contest if you don't believe me!

I spent much of my youth hanging out in and around Myrtle Beach. My hometown is about 110 miles from there. The group Alabama used to play there for free and/or cheap, at the Bowery, before they made it big. I remember some of them waiting tables, and to this day, the drummer dude still owes my a friend of mine a few bucks he loaned him, don't recall the amount. Probably wasn't much, we were all pretty broke...lol!

I've been watching Dancing With The Stars.

Dex,
Admitting that you have a problem is the first step toward recovery; hope you are able to overcome this terrible affliction and lead a normal life.
Best,
WS

Oh, you are an old timer, Nords, but then again, so am I!
And I'll bet you remember, like me, the "pre Hugo" in 1989 Windjammer.
The "new" building has better bathrooms and a real kitchen, but still maintains that sandy floor beachfront vibe. It is a long way for us to go hear music, but I've gotten to hear Robert Earl Keen there a few times this past year.
My brother was a serious two-man volleyball player back in the day and hardly a week went by without some sort of tournament out in front of the old 'Jammer.

I knew the fix was in when Emmitt Smith
won. Who would believe that all those NFL fans were watching, let alone voting!

Yup, he was Nureyev the II. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: I do remember.

If you subscribe to the theory that it's the Tea Party that's voting in numbers and keeping her in the competition, then how about all the Palin bashers that are on TV and everywhere else, that seemingly hate her & her family with a vengeance? You'd think there'd be enough of them to counteract the percieved "teabagger" influence. I'm not buying it...I think the voting is fair and within the rules of the show. For the record, I don't normally watch this show...but I ain't lying, I've see it a time or two. I turned off my cable to save the $75 a month, and so now I only get 2 channels. The one that's really clear happens to be an ABC channel, and that's where this show is. The other channel I get through use of rabbit ears, and sometimes it's clear, sometimes not. I have internet through one of my apt. neighbor's generosity, which they probably aren't aware of yet.

And no....I have never voted for Bristol Palin or any other contestant on this show! I don't care who wins.

If you subscribe to the theory that it's the Tea Party that's voting in numbers and keeping her in the competition, then how about all the Palin bashers that are on TV and everywhere else, that seemingly hate her & her family with a vengeance?

Well no. If you assume that only some low life people attack a person's family when they hate the politician you can easily get an asymmetrical result. NB this is not a partisan statement. All political persuasions have men and women of honor and integrity side by side with low life cretins.

Hey now, my dad worked for Lipton back in the day and I ran tea bagging equipment in our factory for years. No one ever called us that, but lordy if the equipment acted up, there was tea everywhere!

martyb--stealing the internet! from your neighbors,e even! Dang, I wish I could do that!

martyb--stealing the internet! from your neighbors,e even! Dang, I wish I could do that!

Not stealing...borrowing! I'm only using the part they're not using...lol. Yeah, I know it's on the shady side. It's not the fastest connection in the world, but I'm sometimes able to use it to watch instant-download Netflix movies(which I do pay for). I'm missing out of some of my favorite shows, but after 6 months, I'm pretty much used to it. Besides, I'm only here 4 nights a week, the rest of the week I'm in Shreveport. No TV restrictions there.

Sure, whatever you say, marty! :) My DH is in a hotel tonight and tomorrow night and I know he is LOVING the cable tv! All he's got around here are books.

But, guiltily I should confess that we actually bought a tv the other day. For the first time in both of our lives (please see ages below). Yep, it was just too cheap (a 32" for $289 at Target). We will use it to watch movies as I don't think we can even get regular channels out here. I haven't set it up yet, but it is so light! Tech surely has changed since that tv my parents gave me years ago--it weighed a ton!

Sarah, that's funny that your DH had to go to a hotel to watch Sunday Night Football. A guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom