Join Early Retirement Today

Dash trim reflects in mirrors of my new car
Old 03-07-2017, 11:47 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Dash trim reflects in mirrors of my new car

It's fairly minor, but I've found it distracting enough times that I want to do something about it. Problem is, there is shiny trim around the side vents on the dashboard, and oftentimes, in certain light conditions, that shiny trim line reflects in my side mirrors. Creates kind of a ghost line across the mirror. It's just soft enough, that I can't really tell what it is, and I keep thinking there is something in my mirror, and it is distracting me.

So I'm looking for a non-permanent way to dull that shine. I know there are 'satin' or no-gloss clear-coat paints, but even a latex paint will be hard to remove if I don't like the results. What kind of dull finish could I just wash off if I didn't like it?

If no good ideas, I guess I'll try a little bit in a non-obvious spot, and just bite the bullet if it looks OK to me.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 11:53 AM   #2

Duct tape
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 11:58 AM   #3
Dryer sheet wannabe

Pinstriping tape or narrow masking tape. Or if you mask carefully you could use a product like Rustoleum Peel Coat.
3800Fiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Black electrical tape. Two rolls for a dollar at Dollar Tree.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:16 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3800Fiero View Post
Pinstriping tape or narrow masking tape. Or if you mask carefully you could use a product like Rustoleum Peel Coat.
Applying tape would be hard, complex curved surfaces. The peel coat mught work, I'll look into that. They make a matte silver...

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-27...um+peel+silver

I'll research, hopefully I could spray a bit into a small container and brush it on, spraying directly wouldn't work, too many surfaces to mask.

Hmmm, I wonder now about thinning clear silicone and brushing that on? I think it thins with rubbing alcohol, and that would peel off if needed.

Thanks for the replies.

-ERD50
Old 03-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Plasti-Dip the trim. It's become a pretty popular way to make a durable but easily removable colour change to cars. You can do it with spray cans. When you want to remove it can be lifted up.

Here's a guy doing logos and lettering only on a car. You could probably use something similar to do the trim work.

Hyperborea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 12:35 PM   #7

paste-style car wax, rub it off only if you don't like it
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

I have the same issue with my new Forester. There is a brushed silver finish around the vent that reflects in the side view mirror and is somewhat distracting. I'll be reading here for ideas to minimize the issue.
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayHare View Post
I had thought about that. It wouldn't last long, it would just rub off, but that would still be good as a test. I have some paste furniture wax, and I think that might not be so glossy, even after polishing.

-ERD50
Old 03-07-2017, 02:46 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
That might work, just don't buff it and it should remain a dull non-reflective. That might be a non-permanent way to evaluate any satin coating's effect on the mirror.
Beldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #11

If you position your mirrors like this - would that eliminate the reflection?

Also - it will eliminate your blind spots. It takes a little getting used to - but it is a big improvement!

How to Use & Adjust Your Mirrors – AAA Senior Driving
Old 03-07-2017, 03:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I had thought about that. It wouldn't last long, it would just rub off, but that would still be good as a test. I have some paste furniture wax, and I think that might not be so glossy, even after polishing.

-ERD50
Apply carefully, perhaps with a cotton swab, as you don't want wax getting on non-glossy surfaces, such as patterned ones where it can be very difficult to buff off.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:30 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Some paste waxes will turn rock hard when they dry. Some of the newer synthetic products might be ok but I was thinking of bar soap.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:28 PM   #14
Administrator

Hairspray might do the trick.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:58 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Applying tape would be hard, complex curved surfaces. ..........
No, just apply the tape to the mirror where the reflection appears.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
If you position your mirrors like this - would that eliminate the reflection?

Also - it will eliminate your blind spots. It takes a little getting used to - but it is a big improvement!

How to Use & Adjust Your Mirrors – AAA Senior Driving
Thanks, but I've been adjusting them like that for years. I still have trouble getting used to it, you just want to see the side of your car in the mirror. But I keep playing with them as I see cars approaching, and get them to where I can see the approaching car in the mirror until I an see it along side me. The new car also has 'blind spot detection' which is good, but you can't 100% rely on it, the sensors could be blocked or something. Good back up to the usual checking procedure though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
No, just apply the tape to the mirror where the reflection appears.
Hah! But not so funny really, I went out today, and I actually gave something like that a thought. Hey, maybe I'm looking at this (no pun intended) all wrong - maybe I should do something to the reflection instead of trying to mess with the source. Like maybe moving my seat to where the reflection would be gone, but that was too extreme.

I'll try the paste wax thing soon, and report back. That sounds like the easiest first round.

-ERD50
Old 03-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Sandpaper. Crude but effective.

Chrome on dashboard, One reason I dislike new cars, they are like driving in a video arcade. I hate to drive DW's Cadillac CTS4.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:22 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

The whole dash in the driver's side reflects glare when I am driving south in the afternoon. I have to toss a dark, non-reflective shirt or jacket up there to tamp it down on long rides. Poor design -- and that is from Lexus.
Old 03-08-2017, 06:37 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I drove my wifes new Forester last night and commented to her on the chrome trim of the vent reflecting in the mirror. It is a distraction.
upset264 is offline   Reply With Quote