Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Date anyone like this?
Old 09-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Date anyone like this?

Heh heh heh

Why female spiders eat their mates - LiveScience - MSNBC.com

I find spiders fascinating. Whenever I see one in the house. I try to scoot them outside alive.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2008, 01:12 PM   #2

no, but reminds me of a cousin of mine. i've since had my life pesticided & insecticided so hopefully i will never again be, um, broadsided.

but really, i don't think of her as a black widow. rather i refer to her as the squid.

here is my cousin being studied by scientists to see what makes her, um, tick...

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

It just shows that SIZE MATTERs !

Quote from the article:

It's all about size. If males are small, they're easier to catch and therefore more likely to be prey, say Shawn Wilder and Ann Rypstra from Miami University in Ohio. Big females eat their puny mates simply because a) they're hungry and b) they can.

Wilder and Rypstra found that among the wolf spider (Hogna helluo), large males were never eaten by their mates, while small males were consumed 80 percent of the time.

Discovering this, the researchers then pored over the literature and found the size rule to hold true in a wide range of spider species.

I think that all women have some characteristics in common with spiders. But like male spiders I'm usually willing to take my chances. Sort of a benefit/risk thing. Not sure what that says about us males?

MB
mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:23 PM   #4

sorry, can't resist: "if it's true that you are what you eat, then i'm going to be you by morning"~~saying

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Burp...
Old 09-13-2008, 02:05 PM   #6

A couple of years ago after DW came in from doing some watering on the patio, I heard her root around in the kitchen cabinets for a minute, then she went back outside. Came in with this. She was found on a hose that normally resides on a hose hanger attached to the house. Don't know if she was a cannibal or not. She, the spider, that is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bw.jpg (312.6 KB, 5 views)
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Heh heh heh

Why female spiders eat their mates - LiveScience - MSNBC.com

I find spiders fascinating. Whenever I see one in the house. I try to scoot them outside alive.
A fellow 'spider relocator'?

I've been doing that since I was a child.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:36 PM   #8
Administrator

We just leave them in the house. They don't bother us and they eat any insects that might come in.

When I was young and lived in Hawaii, we let the lizards live in the house for the same reason.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We just leave them in the house. They don't bother us and they eat any insects that might come in.
There was a big black one that lived in the basement. When I did laundry it would retreat under the washing machine.

Quote:
When I was young and lived in Hawaii, we let the lizards live in the house for the same reason.
I recall the lizards in St Croix; took a bit of getting used to.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:06 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I usually leave them in the house figuring that they know what their doing. I don't want to interfere with their livelihood. I had a big brown one living in a well-established web by my back door for over a year. I named him McHenry McWilliams. If I find one that is trapped, such as in the bathtub, I'll take him (or her) outside. I've encountered two black widows inside my house. I took both of them outside. I had another black widow living in my yard waste container (e.g., grass trimmings) for a year and a half. Huge. I had to pile all my yard waste in the corner of my property until she either moved or passed away.
Shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 06:13 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
I usually leave them in the house figuring that they know what their doing.
Am I the only one around here that views this as a little creepy?
Old 09-13-2008, 06:15 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Nope, I do the same thing. Unless they're very much in the way or poisonous to people, I leave them be. Creeps out my wife a little but then I point out that they're likely eating a) flies, b) mosquitos, c) fleas, or d) some other bug that we really wouldnt like either.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:57 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Nope, I do the same thing. Unless they're very much in the way or poisonous to people, I leave them be. Creeps out my wife a little but then I point out that they're likely eating a) flies, b) mosquitos, c) fleas, or d) some other bug that we really wouldnt like either.
Thats how I view them. As long as the widows don't get in my way of every day life I leave them. I draw the line at letting the poisonous ones inside
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

Any spiders I find the in the house are "relocated" to Valhalla. One time I was using the "facilities" and a few seconds after I stood up a spider started crawling across the seat; he got a scenic tour of the sewer system.

I felt bad so I showed mercy to the next one I saw. 1st time in the dinning room. 2nd time in the guest room. 3rd time he dropped off the faucet as I was turning it on, scared the **** out of me and earned himself a watery grave.

I am not entirely without heart though, theres a pair (breeding pair?) of some long legs/short body variety living in the garage apparently having quite a feast on the armadillo bugs that come in from the garage door. Entire graveyards, I mean dozens upon dozens of corpses clustered in a couple of webbed areas.

"C'mon Jimmy, it must be safe to cross, whatever got all these other guys must have had his fill by now"
epps is offline   Reply With Quote