Join Early Retirement Today

Dave Clark 5
Old 04-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dave Clark 5

Did anyone else see the PBS show on Tuesday about the Dave Clark Five? I thought it was good and fun to watch. I forgot they had so many hits. Wonder why you don't hear many of their songs on Oldies radio stations?

PBS' 'Glad All Over' Celebrates Dave Clark Five - ABC News

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #2

They were great, they had the misfortune of going up against The Beatles. You won't win that one.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 01:49 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
They were great, they had the misfortune of going up against The Beatles. You won't win that one.
Wasn't that impressed with the program (seemed like there was a lot of weird filler, and not much "live" performance, just lip-sync), but they were a great band, if a little too pop-oriented for my taste. In the pop genre, they were as good as any, but once the Beatles branched out, no match! Same thing with the Beach Boys.

They were, however, smart enough to quit while they were ahead. And Dave Clark was smart enough to have the song rights revert to him after four years. And, like Mike Nesmith, his influence on music went way beyond his years as a musician.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Jump on me if you like, but:

Dave Clark 5 was a high school band.

The Beach Boys went to college.

The Beatles went to another galaxy.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

No argument here.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #6

Quote:

Is Yoko Ono still in kindergarten?
Old 04-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #7

I've been playing music for quite a while and one thing I've learned is: slow down!

Listen to Sgt. Pepper (the opening tune). It's slow.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1961 View Post
Is Yoko Ono still in kindergarten?

I'm not. But I bet she's still creative, so she's good in my book.

Old 04-10-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Quote:

No argument here.
I agree with HFWR's view.

I always thought DC5 was a great pop band. No more, no less. Sometimes, all you want is a good pop song, well done, and not cheesy or saccharin, just a good listen. We don't always need to be serious, there's a time and place for both. I think DC5 was one of the best at filling that zone in the 60's.

-ERD50
Old 04-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thought it was a good program. Surprised that a lot of their songs I thought the Beatles did. Back in the day, seemed like it was either the Stones or the Beatles--never paid much attention to DC5 because like mentioned previously, thought they were a little too much 'pop'. But the program was produced, directed, etc., by Dave Clark--so it was construced to make DC5 look good. Have to say I think Dave Clark was/is one smart guy.
Old 04-11-2014, 01:15 PM   #11

Quote:
I've been playing music for quite a while and one thing I've learned is: slow down!

Listen to Sgt. Pepper (the opening tune). It's slow.

You have to wonder about people that quote themselves.

But this thread made me listen again. They kicked it up for the reprise, and once again McCartney did the count off. What a band!

Old 04-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm a fan of music from that era, but I didn't know much about DC5 before watching this program. I found it pretty interesting.

One of the most interesting parts came at the end, when the credits rolled. For a program that spent much of its time lauding Dave Clark as a music-business genius and all-around fantastic guy, I was a bit surprised to see that Dave Clark himself produced and directed it. By all accounts he's a humble and down-to-earth kind of guy -- especially for a celebrity -- but that just struck me as very self-aggrandizing.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
But the program was produced, directed, etc., by Dave Clark--so it was construced to make DC5 look good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bird In Hand View Post
For a program that spent much of its time lauding Dave Clark as a music-business genius and all-around fantastic guy, I was a bit surprised to see that Dave Clark himself produced and directed it. By all accounts he's a humble and down-to-earth kind of guy -- especially for a celebrity -- but that just struck me as very self-aggrandizing.
One thing that struck me as interesting is how much time was devoted to the "Beatles versus the Dave Clark Five" rivalry during the 1960s. OK I was not old enough during this period to appreciate the bands, but I seriously doubt that as good as the DC5 was, that the Beatles ever perceived them as a threat. In fact, I wonder just how popular all these British Invasion bands would have been if the Beatles had not paved the way. I'm glad, though, because there were some really good songs come out of these other British bands.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in the 60's and although I did like The Beatles the best, I liked a ton of other bands also, including DC5.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:05 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payin-the-Toll View Post
... But the program was produced, directed, etc., by Dave Clark--so it was construced to make DC5 look good. Have to say I think Dave Clark was/is one smart guy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Bird In Hand View Post
One of the most interesting parts came at the end, when the credits rolled. For a program that spent much of its time lauding Dave Clark as a music-business genius and all-around fantastic guy, I was a bit surprised to see that Dave Clark himself produced and directed it. By all accounts he's a humble and down-to-earth kind of guy -- especially for a celebrity -- but that just struck me as very self-aggrandizing.
FWIW, that was addressed in the link in the OP:

Quote:
The film includes interviews with Bruce Springsteen, Paul McCartney, Elton John, Steven Van Zandt and other impressive musicians who cite the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame band and Clark, its drummer-manager, as influences.

It's such an outpouring of praise that an embarrassed Clark nearly took his producer credit off the project. Friends talked him out of it, just as they had talked him into doing the documentary, he said.

The band's admirers "wouldn't say it if they didn't mean it," Clark recalls being reassured.
-ERD50
Old 04-12-2014, 03:34 PM   #16

Thanks very much for posting the link, I watched it last night and really enjoyed it. I was 9 years old in England, in 1964 and while I remembered the DC5 I didn't have any idea of their background.

Great nostalgia trip.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Yes, thanks for posting, I just finished watching online @ PBS (expires in 4 days, so 'Catch it if you Can'!).

While I really did like this band, I had no idea how many hits they had in just 4 years. There was some real power and finesse in those 'pop' songs, and a lyric snippet that really jumped out at me: "We were young with all of our might!" - what a great way to capture the spirit of the 60's with a single line!

Someone mentioned they quit progressing, while The Beatles came out with Sgt. Peppers, but that song with the line "Inside and Out" sure had a Sgt Peppers sound to it. Who knows, if they had kept doing more studio work?

I'm going to have to check to see if there are any downloads of his later "Time" the musical - sure looks as if it would seem dated today, but maybe interesting?

I had to laugh every time they cut to Gene Simmons in full 'Kiss' regalia, cognitive dissonance as he actually seemed quite well spoken. But then he says "We all wanted to look like Dave"? Really?

-ERD50
Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Someone mentioned they quit progressing, while The Beatles came out with Sgt. Peppers...

-ERD50
That was me.

Growing up, there was AM radio, in our case WAKY (wacky radio, seven-nine-o) in Louisville, and WLS in Chicago at night. They played a fairly wide variety of pop music - "rock", Detroit and Memphis soul, etc. - which is where the DC5 fit in. About the time FM radio started getting popular, the Beatles did Sgt. Peppers and Magical Mystery tour, and other bands more rock-album oriented, like Steppenwolf, Jefferson Airplane, or Jimi Hendrix Experience, started expanding into less pop-oriented music, probably because of pot and LSD.

I grew up with AM radio, and liked much of the music, but the newer stuff really captured my imagination. To illustrate, there are no DC5 albums in my collection, and no Beatles prior to Rubber Soul. Not necessarily better or worse, just what I liked better.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
... and no Beatles prior to Rubber Soul. Not necessarily better or worse, just what I liked better.

You may need to speak with Dr. Phil

Old 04-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
You may need to speak with Dr. Phil
I'd rather listen to Dionne Warwick's Greatest Hits over and over...