Day of happiness

There's so much to be happy about.
At a fundamental level, it's wonderful to be breathing.
Being retired, I'm happy, every day because I don't have to participate in the rat race.
I'm happy when I can prepare my eggs without getting egg shells in them.
I could list things all day, and I have the time to do it.

Happiness is a condition to be fostered and promoted.
An amazing quality of happiness, I've found, is that if I can make someone else happy, it makes me feel happy too.

I am almost at a point where every day will be happy day, 21 work days left:dance:

I'm happy I don't have to depend on a UN declaration of an official "Happy Day" to be happy.
+2. Did they let Syrians know?

Last edited:
More! More! I want MORE official Happy Days! I thought I was doing OK with my happiness, but now that I know that happy can be an official thing and there is only one day of it that is so unfair! Hah! At least the countries not in the United Nations do not get an official happy day, so that returns me to happiness! Is there going to be a phone app to get happiness?

Dang! It was yesterday. So sorry we missed it.

The UN has started a Day of Happiness initiative U.N.'s Day of Happiness strikes chord

Great idea. We all need it.

What do you feel happy about ?

I think it is a boat-load of fertilizer (worse, fertilizer has value). We don't 'need' this, I think it is a stupid idea. We need real reasons to be happy, not some fake, made-up, 'be happy because I said today is happy-day' happiness.

Reminds me of when my MegaCorp was going down the drain, and they started having these 'rah-rah' meetings. Really P-O'd me. Give me a reason to be happy, like we have new leadership with a real vision and an implementation plan to introduce new, innovative products at a price that will drive company profits, save our jobs, get everyone a raise/bonus, etc.

I'm happy I don't have to depend on a UN declaration of an official "Happy Day" to be happy.

Adding on to the pluses.

Dang! It was yesterday. So sorry we missed it.

So now we have to wait 364 days to be happy? That makes me so sad. :( Gee, I was happier before all this fake happiness. See what it gets you.

What do you feel happy about ?

That's an extremely long list, and would probably bore the heck out of most here (typical stuff, reasonably good health, financially in pretty good shape, happily married for 32 years, three kids that are or on their way to being contributing members of society, I enjoy life in a million different ways etc, etc, etc) . And a declaration of a 'happiness day' by the UN has added nothing to that list.

Are you happy you asked? :LOL:

-ERD50

+1000 Honestly I am happy every day, now that I am retired. And why not? The past 3+ years have been the best in my life so I would be nuts not to be happy.

Today is my special day of happiness, the Oregon Health Sciences University research center announced that has developed a VERY promising malaria drug that is effective with one treatment (important in the developing world).

Let's hope that it won't have unacceptable side effects.

I am happy, most days, in spite of the UN resolution not because of it.

Will be really happy when the UN building is razed, and reconstructed in Antarctica. And their edicts are shipped via slow boat thrugh China.

Rut-row...

Attachments

• story-bacon-071211.jpg
    story-bacon-071211.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 7
Well whatever people say I am happy and very grateful to be part of this world, of this magnificent universe.

Happy to be able to change people's lives, help my patients, care for the needy, the uninsured, and the underserved.

Happy to be here and to be able to share these feelings. And, last but not least, it's Friday. :)

Last edited:
Yes, even when I knew some would ridicule and/or criticize my post. Other participants may have found the concept of a worldwide happy day interesting - and desperately needed in this sad world. There is still hope.

Are you happy you asked? :LOL:

-ERD50

Last edited:
Yes, even when I knew some would ridicule and/or criticize my post. Other participants may have found the concept of a worldwide happy day interesting - and desperately needed in this sad world. There is still hope.

That's because some people have a need to be un-happy and try to make others feel that way. :(

Perhaps that balance is necessary. Imagine how terrible things would be if everyone were happy all the time.
:rolleyes:

We all express our happiness in different ways. Nothing wrong with that, and nothing personal, either.

I don't think anyone ridiculed your post - it's fine for you to bring these to our attention if you find them interesting. I think just about everybody ridiculed the concept of a 'happy day'. But paraphrasing MichaelB - different strokes for different folks. As I have often said, if someone posts something to a discussion forum, don't be surprised if it spurs some discussion. If all you want is agreement, start a blog and disable comments, or just talk to the mirror.

That's because some people have a need to be un-happy and try to make others feel that way. :(

I didn't see anyone on this thread describe themselves as unhappy. What are you talking about?

And if anyone could be made unhappy by someone else poking holes in a 'happy day' proclamation by the UN, then it makes me wonder if they are truly happy. I'm way too happy to let something like that affect me.

I'm especially happy today. I got a phone call at 7:30 AM - my son got accepted into his top choice residency program (PharmD program at UIC, he got a residency at University of Chicago Medical Center). Time for the happy dance! :dance:

-ERD50

I don't think anyone was criticizing you, happiness or even a happiness day - I wasn't FWIW. Just questioning whether it was a worthwhile task for the UN to match it's charter/mission. It would seem nations/people at peace don't need a happiness day, and nations at (or threatened by) war wouldn't be influenced at all by a happiness day. Seems there are other more pressing issues that fall in their "wheelhouse."

Last edited:
... Other participants may have found the concept of a worldwide happy day interesting - and desperately needed in this sad world. There is still hope.

Getting a bit more analytical here - I don't think anyone would disagree that the world needs more happiness, I think people question the idea that a 'happiness day' proclamation could do anything at all towards that end.

Now that I think a bit more about it, it actually strikes me as offensive, somewhat like a 'let them eat cake' kind of statement. I guess that's what really bugged me about it. It seems dismissive of the real hard problems and real hard solutions.

IMO, there is hope only if we acknowledge, analyze and implement real solutions to tackle those hard problems. I think there is no hope if we think "Group Hug everyone!" is going to accomplish anything other than making a small group of people feel better about themselves.

It reeks of telling a clinically depressed person to just "Cheer up!", rather than trying to determine the root causes and treatment for their depression. Should we celebrate that?

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom