Join Early Retirement Today

Day one of retirement...
Old 01-04-2019, 04:56 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Day one of retirement...

4:50AM: The old dog scratched so hard at the front door she knocked the dog bell that hangs on the handle off the door and it woke me. I know this because, as the obedient servant I am, when I got up to walk her and I found it on the floor. I last walked her around 10:45PM and went to bed- Late for me but the Mrs is battling a bad cold and retired early. She’s been giving the pooch her last walk lately. The later she gets walked the more likely we are to get a late, undisturbed morning like 6:45AM.

The old gal took fifteen quick steps and did her business. It was then when we heard it. Somewhere down the hill. First allow me set the scene for you. There are no street lights here. A couple houses do have a few night lights but they seem to be swallowed up by the cold and gloom. One acre properties and woodsy. The low wattage landscape lights that light up casa RayinPenn like Bali High have yet to come on (around 5AM). It is 30 degrees out. I believe to the uninitiated the sound it would safely be described as the unnerving loud whaling of a banshee. Its the kind of noise that you hear in a sci fi movie before someone dies- usually the person who went out there after being told not too and we all think dont!. The dog did not like the sound and started barking and there was no stopping her. My 4:50 AM fuzzy brain thought OMG something is hurt but the manly man in me said maybe its coming this way. I hustled the dog into the house. I turned off the porch light, locked the door, turned on the alarm, turned on the heat and sat in my easy chair, threw my giant ‘blankie’ the Mrs made me over me and hoped <strike> and prayed</strike> it wouldn’t come our way. Of course 20 minutes later it did. The dog didnt like the noise any better and starting barking again. Finally the fox moved off, the dog calmed and I decide to get up and have coffee.

Retirement life is grand for a manly man.. Im thinking it is going to be a nap day. I need to go find my fuzzy slippers first.

rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Loved your post. Sounds like a good first day. Enjoy many, many more.

jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:54 AM   #3

My Rottweiler often gets me up at 3:00 a.m. like clockwork. I have to go outside and hurry her along.

I come back inside and get online to read a few newspapers. Then I get the wife and DGD up in order to get to school @ 7:45. Then it's time for the morning nap.

The 4:00-5:00 p.m. nap is often quite good too.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #4

Well, you got back into the house safe. That’s a good day. You’re off to a great start. Sounds like you’re also well prepared/equipped for retirement with the blankie and a nice easy chair for nap time. Congratulations on the start of a new phase of life.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Love your stories, Ray.
DH laughs at me though, I leave our outside lights on 24/7. I want to see what's outside my door from the safety of my house! We do have coyotes around here.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I'll bet you were hearing an owl. The barn owl has a terrifying scream, but is somewhat rare. Have you ever heard eastern screech owl? They should be common in PA. They are much louder than you think a small bird could be.
https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/...ech-Owl/sounds
Old 01-04-2019, 11:15 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Loud wailing of a banshee - bet it was a barn owl. They really sound like the kind of screaming you expect from a haunted house, which is probably why abandoned old houses were thought to be haunted in the first place.
Old 01-04-2019, 11:48 AM   #8

Congrats Ray! You're off to a grand start.

Day 1 for me was lying in bed with salmonella poisoning (self inflicted) while a lawyer represented (successfully) my sorry @ss in court for a speeding ticket. I was really, really worried that that day 1 could be a harbinger of retirement. Luckily, it wasn't. Once the food poisoning cleared up, it's been smooth sailing on the high seas of blissful freedom!
Old 01-04-2019, 11:53 AM   #9

Great start for Day # 1. Enjoy the remaining ones!
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:31 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Exciting first day of retirement. Look forward to hearing about your exciting future retirement days!
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:50 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
Exciting first day of retirement. Look forward to hearing about your exciting future retirement days!
+1
Old 01-04-2019, 01:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
.....My 4:50 AM fuzzy brain thought OMG something is hurt but the manly man in me said maybe its coming this way. I hustled the dog into the house. I turned off the porch light, locked the door, turned on the alarm, turned on the heat and sat in my easy chair, threw my giant ‘blankie’ the Mrs made me over me and hoped <strike> and prayed</strike> it wouldn’t come our way.....Retirement life is grand for a manly man.. Im thinking it is going to be a nap day. I need to go find my fuzzy slippers first.

These are exactly the steps I would take under the circumstances to protect my homestead! Thanks for the laughs. I enjoy all your stories and hope you keep posting them now that you are retired.
Old 01-04-2019, 01:58 PM   #13

Thanks for the laugh!

Remember how awful it was when you were w*rking and stuff like this happened, and you couldn't take a nap? I tell ya', those naps are truly a gift. Just one of the many great things about retirement.

Enjoy your new life of leisure, and those naps!

Old men and women sit in the shade of trees they planted long ago
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
I'll tell you what Day 2 is going to be. that darn dog is going to be at the door at O dark thirty. Rinse & repeat.

*source...have same problem

I just say it's good for me to get up & moving
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:04 PM   #15

LOL >>> never a dull moment in retirement.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #16

Fishers (sometimes incorrectly called "fisher cats") are reported to make that loud sound, like the strangling of a small child. It's pretty horrifying, and you'll know it when you hear it. Some experts say, however, that it's often foxes, not fishers. So that might have been it in your case.

Welcome to retirement! Even if you don't sleep in, just knowing you could will probably be a huge weight off your shoulders.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 05:23 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

it was 3:15 a.m. two weeks ago. I was going to leave at 7:00 a.m. for the road trip to snowbird heaven. Rocky, the pug, decided he needed to "go outside." As I let him out the back door, I noticed that a neighbor's motion sensor light was on. I wondered what might have been wandering through his yard at that time of night, when I saw a skunk wandering through OUR back yard. Rocky is doing his business not ten feet from the skunk who had his tail standing straight up. Rocky was barking softly and the skunk was moving past slowly. I didn't want to go outside or that would have definitely set off the skunk, so I stood at the door praying nothing would happen. Thoughts of "Where can I find tomato juice at 3:00 a.m.?" and "how can I leave a dog in the back yard at this time of night?" raced through my head. FORTUNATELY, the skunk made his way around the corner of the house and I hustled the dog back inside. Rocky went quickly to sleep, but my mind was way too much awake to sleep for a long time.
Revlefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
it was 3:15 a.m. two weeks ago. I was going to leave at 7:00 a.m. for the road trip to snowbird heaven. Rocky, the pug, decided he needed to "go outside." .... FORTUNATELY, the skunk made his way around the corner of the house and I hustled the dog back inside. Rocky went quickly to sleep, but my mind was way too much awake to sleep for a long time.

I often tell the kids ‘nothing good happens after 1AM’.. what is unspoken ‘and before 6AM.’.. you got lucky!
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:39 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Well told! And congrats with a nice start of your retirement days.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
Congrats Ray! You're off to a grand start.

Day 1 for me was lying in bed with salmonella poisoning (self inflicted)

Ok, tell us how that happened. I hope you are all better now.