Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-07-2010, 03:26 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The only effect Y2K had on me was that my old radio alarm just stopped working. I replaced it with a model that automatically changes with the seasons. Unfortunately, it seems to be irreversibly programmed to the "old" schedule of time changes. When Dubya had the inspiration to alter the dates, he didn't tell my clock. So for the past week it has been reading one hour earlier (and making me very confused and late to work) and now it is back on the correct schedule.

Drive carefully tomorrow, and watch the markets!

The onset of daylight saving time can be hazardous to your health | Booster Shots | Los Angeles Times

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
DWs garage sale Waveceptor watch got its signal from Colorado, and changed automatically. We had to leave it on an east-facing windowsill.

Can't wait until DST is abolished -- what a hare-brained idea. Russia is getting it together:

Russia Proposes Stopping Daylight Saving Time : NPR

My hope is that congress will keep extending DST until it is year round.
I remember when they experimented with dropping it in the UK. It only lasted one or two years and they went back to business as usual - something to do with kids walking to school in the dark. In higher latitudes the daylight hours are much less (the most southerly point in the UK is north of Maine).

Old 11-07-2010, 06:05 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I remember when they experimented with dropping it in the UK. It only lasted one or two years and they went back to business as usual - something to do with kids walking to school in the dark. In higher latitudes the daylight hours are much less (the most southerly point in the UK is north of Maine).
I would love to see it dropped. This far north with DST it doesn't get really dark in late June until 11:00pm. Kind of interferes with my astronomy hobby.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #24

I looked up what the UK did and it was 3 years between 1968 and 1971, and in fact they retained DST permanently during that period.

British Summer Time - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
An inquiry during the winter of 1959-60 consulted 180 national organisations, and had revealed a slight preference for a change to all-year GMT+1, but the length of summer time was extended as a trial rather than the domestic use of Greenwich Mean Time abolished.[4] A further inquiry during 1966-67 led the government of Harold Wilson to introduce the British Standard Time experiment, with Britain remaining on GMT+1 throughout the year. This took place between 27 October 1968 and 31 October 1971, when there was a reversion to the previous arrangement.
Analysis of accident data for the first two years of the experiment indicated that while there had been an increase in casualties in the morning, there had been a substantially greater decrease in casualties in the evening, with a total of around 2,700 fewer people killed and seriously injured during the first two winters of the experiment,[5] at a time when about 1,000 people a day were killed or seriously injured on the roads.[6] The period coincided with the introduction of Drink-Driving legislation though, and the estimates were later modified downwards in 1989.[5]
The trial was the subject of a House of Commons debate on 2 December 1970[7] when on a free vote, the House of Commons voted to end the experiment by 366 to 81 votes.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

We don't have to change our clocks, but from October-April the state moves opening time of some beaches from 6 AM to 8 AM. This means that the dawn patrollers have to go around the fence to an alternate entry point either sit in the parking lot waiting for the official opening time, or leave later and hope not to get whipsawed by rush-hour traffic.

Our Mainland-college daughter was pretty excited about her first DST shift.

I remember having submarine refits in Holy Loch, Scotland in the 1980s with 18 hours of "daylight" from 4 AM to 10 PM. Of course we had an equal number that seemed to be in perpetual darkness.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote