Join Early Retirement Today

Dead Thread
Old 06-10-2017, 01:01 PM   #1
Gone but not forgotten

Dead Thread

Or maybe Death Threats... which I think many members feel when they see a new thread that is titled "What should my SWR be?"

OMG... The urge to kill... "Didn't we just finish discussing that two days ago, with 157 posts?"

Moderators have to have the patience of JOB... and YOU... who wrote about five paragraphs that laid out the perfect answer... have to grit your teeth, and start from scratch.

As a guilty party, and as tooth gritting victim...

Before you start a post, asking a question that you seriously want to know about... GO TO SEARCH and enter in a few key words. Chances are something will click, and a well based previous discussion could put some groundwork under the subject.

It's interesting to see some posts that show on the site for a day or two, then disappear with only four or five follow-up posts, then ... Suddenly reappear a week or a month later... and end up with a hundred or more comments.

A little overwhelming for a newcomer to sign on and see thousands of threads and hundreds of thousands of posts. Good to see moderators sometimes merge threads that cover the same subject. Know that we all appreciate the job they do.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2017, 02:24 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I used to hang out on FlyerTalk when I traveled a lot for business and, although it's a terrific resource for detailed info you can't get anywhere else, they get testy if you post something that's been done a thousand times before and clearly haven't done a search first.

On this board and others, I ignore it if I'm tired of the subject, or I reply if I feel like discussing it again,.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

C'mon, this is social media. It's not supposed to be logical nor reasonable. It's more like interacting with your senile MIL.

A google search doesn't give a personal connection. I suppose that's why amazon echo and apple siri are doing well. Some folks like to think they are not talking to a computer.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I've never had much luck using the search tool. Maybe it's me so YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I just move on, if it's something I've seen a million times and don't care about. Somebody else might love it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Maybe ill start a new thread about when to start collecting social security, i dont ever remember seeing one on that subject. hahahahha
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:28 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Let's have yet another thread on....
Whether to pay down the mortgage....
Does Net Worth include the house or not?
What is your SWR?
Etc, etc.....
Or NOT.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:52 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
There two "search tools". I've found the Google one to be pretty good, the other not too useful.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:12 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post

Before you start a post, asking a question that you seriously want to know about... GO TO SEARCH and enter in a few key words. Chances are something will click, and a well based previous discussion could put some groundwork under the subject. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I have to agree with Koolau here. I'm a pretty sophisticated "search" user. I learned a bit about SQL on my job, and know all the logic stuff from my engineering days, ( "|" for OR, etc), and was active on a google forum about their "literal" search function. Searching on many forums is difficult, as the same old terms are used over and over again, so you get thousands of hits on anything you try to search for.

Try searching for "fermentation problem" on the homebrew forums - how do you get specific info? Or "SWR" here?

I try to be patient with the repeats, that's life.

OK, best organ intro in history until "Light My Fire"!

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
There two "search tools". I've found the Google one to be pretty good, the other not too useful.
But the 'advanced' one here lets you focus on a particular poster, sub-forum, threads started by that poster, etc - things you can't do with google.

Use each tool to best effect.

-ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Let's have yet another thread on....
Whether to pay down the mortgage....
Does Net Worth include the house or not?
What is your SWR?
Etc, etc.....
Or NOT.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

I posted this 18 months ago. Seems to be relevant again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Welcome aboard.

In the event that you notice the post count fall to what you feel to be a critically low number, feel free to post any one of the following questions:

1. What age should I take Social Security at?
2. Should I carry a mortgage into retirement, or sell some of my portfolio to pay it off?
3. How do I factor the value of a pension (w/ or w/o COLA) into my net worth?
4. Has anyone been thriftier than me in any of the following areas?
a) Cars
b) Cable TV
c) Clothing
d) Home repairs
5. Should I plan to spend all of my money or should I continue to grow net worth until the day I croak?
6. Even though I have a huge pile of cash, portfolio, two pensions, and no heirs, please help me justify working for a few more years.
7. I am 28 years old, have minimal savings, do I have enough to retire now if I live frugally and make money writing a blog?
8. Cats or Dogs?

For extra fun, try combining two of the above into one post!

Guaranteed to stir up the post count and bring the beast back to life!
Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:51 AM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
But the 'advanced' one here lets you focus on a particular poster, sub-forum, threads started by that poster, etc - things you can't do with google.

Use each tool to best effect.

-ERD50

Good on ye!

That extra click works perfectly.. and opens many doors.
.................................................. .............
But then, we're all in a hurry.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
I posted this 18 months ago. Seems to be relevant again...
of course it is outdated. No smartphone threads, no streaming TV, no why I don't like Florida/Mexico/California threads!
Old 06-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

And yet here you are, asking the congregation why people do or don't count their house in their net worth And the congregation...responds! As they have many times before.

Everybody likes to talk about the weather, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Or maybe Death Threats... which I think many members feel when they see

OMG... The urge to kill... "Didn't we just finish discussing that two days ago, with 157 posts?"

:.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Everybody likes to talk about the weather, too.
Yes, it drizzled last night, so I don't have to water today!!!

edit to add: Ah, I may have missed the point here.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #17

I like what they do on the stackexchange Q&A sites... As you begin typing-up your question, it's doing searches in the background, and showing suggestions ... links to similar questions. And it does a pretty good job finding similar questions. It keeps on refreshing and changing the 'hit list' as you formulate your question, but before you actually submit your question. A likely result is that people find the answer and move on without posting, but an observable result, a very helpful one, is that they put a link to the similar question in their question, and include a reason why their question is not quite the same. Forms kind of a network around like questions. But, unlike here, it's "all business" over on those sites: just answerable questions and answers...no chit-chat.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #18

I think some posters do not have the time, desire, skills, or [whatever] to search on their own, so they just start a new thread.

Some of us have been doing keyword searches since the early '70's -- some have not. I know one person who has never done a financial transaction online and can barely handle email, is not good with Google, but aspires to become an ebay merchant. Will probably never happen.

Some things get repeated here, like the threads ripping financial advice. We could do with fewer of those, but some posters say this is a learning environment, and some things are worth repeating.

It can get very boring at times, but maybe having a new thread on an old topic every now and then is not such a bad thing. There is probably a subset of members here that look only at new threads and posts.

One common reply in another forum is RTFM.
Rustward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #19

What's wrong with helping new members and FIRE adepts? We all went through learning. Those who don't care can ignore those threads.

Reminds me: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Dead Thread
Old 06-12-2017, 05:00 PM   #20

Dead Thread

Here's all the answers:

Should I pay off the mortgage?
Keep paying and invest the rest. You can't retire securely if you're still paying the mortgage.

I have $7,000,000 split pre and post ax accounts and employer sponsored health insurance. My expenses are $18,000 a year. Can I retire at age 63?
Don't retire unless you do not pay into the US SS system. A bad sequence of returns could wipe you out.

What's the right age to take SS?
64 years, 3 months.

How old can you be and it still be considered an early retirement?

Where can I earn 13% on my bonds or cash?
Back in 1983.