Join Early Retirement Today

Deadeye Rick
Old 04-27-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Deadeye Rick

Texas gov. shoots, kills 'wily' coyote during jog - Yahoo! News

My kind of governor.

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2010, 05:26 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Whether the details are true or not is something we'll never know but it is certainly a fantastic publicity move in his political arena. I'm an animal sort of guy and I love all the critters that share "my" property but I don't see any set of circumstances that makes his actions unacceptable. I read only a few of the comments on the story but I'm amazed by the number of negative remarks.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantlogin View Post
I read only a few of the comments on the story but I'm amazed by the number of negative remarks.
I suspect many of those remarks are tied to Perry's politics rather than this particular incident. They probably refer to him as "Slick Rick", not Deadeye...
Old 04-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

There goes the coyote lover vote this November.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

The story as printed seems suspect. The Gov may have killed a coyote and it may have been looking at his dog, but his concern that it might attack him feels gratuitous. Think the Gov is ringing in a little self protection justification that he really doesn't need.

Note that he charged his weapon - the coyote isn't said to have charged.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

At least he knew what he was shooting at, unlike "the sun was in my eyes and I thought that lawyer was a duck" Cheney.

It makes me nervous to have people carrying guns on those trails, but there are enough problems on an urban trail like that (my guess is that he was on the Barton Creek greenbelt, for those who know Austin) so maybe it's better if there's some question of whether the good guys will be carrying too.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I suspect many of those remarks are tied to Perry's politics rather than this particular incident. They probably refer to him as "Slick Rick", not Deadeye...
Nah, not "Slick Rick". Those who don't like him prefer "Governor Goodhair" when they resort to childish name calling.

Seriously, though. This story weirds me out. I grew up in Texas and have spent my fair share of time stalking about woods and fields toting rifles and shotguns, but I have never felt the need to carry a sidearm for protection out in the wild, much less go jogging with one stuck in my belt. Good grief. After a mile or so, the weight of the thing bouncing along would drive you nuts, if probably chafe like the dickens.

And this one is truly cringe worthy.
Quote:
Perry said he will carry his .380 Ruger — loaded with hollow-point bullets — when jogging on trails because he is afraid of snakes.
A Texan afraid of snakes? Um, they give me the willys too, but when I see one, I generally just step aside. And I can't imagine any snake not slithering away well in advance of the pounding footsteps of a jogger.

Don't you think a well-aimed rock would have convinced the coyote (not known for their bravery) to run away?

Maybe I am out of touch now with the gun carrying crowd, but I have never heard of anyone (outside of Star Trek) "Charging his weapon".

Put me down as cynical, but I believe that this story is nothing more than Governor Perry polishing his macho image.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndependentlyPoor View Post
Seriously, though. This story weirds me out. I grew up in Texas and have spent my fair share of time stalking about woods and fields toting rifles and shotguns, but I have never felt the need to carry a sidearm for protection out in the wild, much less go jogging with one stuck in my belt.
I can see why you wouldn't need a gun. Then again, you aren't a fairly controversial, love-him-or-hate-him polarizing political figure who might be the target of some kooks who despise his politics and would do him harm.

As far as this being political grandstanding, I don't think so. The time for that would have been in the primary season. Suffice it to say that most of the people who would think this is a cool story and look favorably on it weren't going to vote for Bill White anyway.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
Old 04-28-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

When I was in Colorado about 20 years ago, a mangy coyote approached us when we were hiking outside of Denver, up in the mountains. It seemed tame but I think most coyotes carry rabies so we just kept an eye on it. It followed us, I think some folks fed it so it was looking for food. When it got about 15 feet away we decided that was close enough so we made a bunch of snowballs and started throwing them at it. It would run a few feet away and stop. This kept going until I nailed it right in the head with a well-aimed snowball..........that made it run away..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
When I was in Colorado about 20 years ago, a mangy coyote approached us when we were hiking outside of Denver, up in the mountains. It seemed tame but I think most coyotes carry rabies so we just kept an eye on it. It followed us, I think some folks fed it so it was looking for food. When it got about 15 feet away we decided that was close enough so we made a bunch of snowballs and started throwing them at it. It would run a few feet away and stop. This kept going until I nailed it right in the head with a well-aimed snowball..........that made it run away..........
This post is useless without... VIDEO!
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nah, not "Slick Rick". Those who don't like him prefer "Governor Goodhair" when they resort to childish name calling.

A Texan afraid of snakes? Um, they give me the willys too, but when I see one, I generally just step aside. And I can't imagine any snake not slithering away well in advance of the pounding footsteps of a jogger.
Slick Rick is the nickname I remember from 2 years ago when I lived there.

I've twice been running on trails and came across a rattler coiled on the trail and rattling at me. I stopped and waited, and it did not move. Both times I had to take a wide berth around, once involved some pretty good bush whacking on a tight trail with a drop-off on one side. I suspect more have slithered away before I ever saw them, but it can happen.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Correlations with rattle snake bites:

Women: low
Young men with tatoos: high

(heard from herpetologist)

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

No tattoos here. Maybe that's why I wasn't bitten.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:19 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

But maybe Perry has one, so he feels the need to carry a gun.

I don't know guns, but that sounds like a lot of gun for a snake.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I don't know guns, but that sounds like a lot of gun for a snake.
But not too much gun for a politically-motivated kook who might want to assault him (or worse). There's a reason why the President has Secret Service protection.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:23 AM   #16

Governor Zoolander is almost as big a publicity stunt-prostitute as Joe Arpaio.

At the ranch the manager shoots coyotes when they get numerous and bold enough to go after the livestock. He usually has to stake out the trash dump because they don't tend to want to be around people. I've seen them from a distance, heard them at night, but never had a close up encounter with one.

There are some places in the big city where if I were to go running there I would carry a gun. I'm not sure how smart a guy is who would rob a jogger (who carries a wallet when they run?), but it happens. Some guy tried to rob a kid on a trail not far from where I live just the other day. When the kid pleaded that he had nothing on him the bad guy cut him.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
But not too much gun for a politically-motivated kook who might want to assault him (or worse). There's a reason why the President has Secret Service protection.
Um, er...
Not to pick a fight with a moderator, but Governor Perry has a security detail too.
Quote:
On this particular morning, Perry said, he was jogging without his security detail shortly after sunrise.
IndependentlyPoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Um, er...
Not to pick a fight iwth a moderator, but Governor Perry has a security detail too.
It's okay to disagree with us, really...

I know he has a security detail, but this time he went out *without* his security detail. A major political figure needs security, and if his security detail isn't around him, he may have felt he needed to provide his own security.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
Governor Zoolander

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:29 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

People in high places just can't be too careful. Remember this? Swamp rabbit was lucky Jimmy was armed only with an oar....

Quote:
While home in Plains, Georgia, President Jimmy Carter set out on a solo fishing expedition when he came under attack by a swamp rabbit. The rabbit, which had been swimming near his boat, attempted to board the vessel despite Carter’s efforts to shoo it away with his paddle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jimmycarter-vs-rabbit-jpg1.jpg (64.3 KB, 6 views)