Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Dealing with 'stuff'
Old 03-21-2006, 01:12 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I wish I had the issue dating sometime in the 70's where CR tested a car that was so bad the final sentence read something to the effect, "All said, it was a pleasure to slam the door and walk away."

Knowing their track record of the time, I'd guess it was probably a Motortrend Car of the Year! Vega maybe? Aspen/Volare? Horizon? Monza 2+2? :P

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2006, 01:20 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I wish I had the issue dating sometime in the 70's where CR tested a car that was so bad the final sentence read something to the effect, "All said, it was a pleasure to slam the door and walk away."

Knowing their track record of the time, I'd guess it was probably a Motortrend Car of the Year!* Vega maybe?* Aspen/Volare?* Horizon?* Monza 2+2? :P
Ugh, I had a Vega in the 70's.* * But there was nothing wrong with it that a reviewer would complain about.* * The engine block just had a tendency to melt down.

The full quote is It was a pleasure to squirm out of the Subaru, slam the door, and walk away.

Old 03-21-2006, 01:31 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Wab, if my hazy memory is correct, wasn't it a strange model with the door in front? I think the steering wheel was on some sort of hinged device attached to the door so that it moved with it when opened.

Do you know the year?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:34 PM   #24

Google gave me this:

Mid 60's wierd Japanese minivan
Old 03-21-2006, 03:03 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

The "door in front" sounds like an Isetta or other bubble car.

http://www.isetta-owners-club-gb.com/

cheers,
Michael
Old 03-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

A guy on our street has a Corvair running, and it looks like his next project is a Karmann Ghia.

What a glutton for punishment...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Michael
The "door in front" sounds like an Isetta or other bubble car.
That was the car I recalled being associated with the CR quote, but Google says otherwise...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:55 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
In 2001 a batchelor 45 year old coworker in England died of a heart attack. *He was (like me) a bit of a recluse and when the management went to clear his apartment they found nearly 20 years of magazines like Readers Digest, TV Guide, National Geographic, etc.

My boss said the police (English) were asking if it was OK to pose for a photo shoot. *The magazines were evidently stacked neatly by year, in 4 ft. high stacks and covered two spare bedrooms. *There were little pathways. *My boss said they all just stood there privately wondering about the guy's sanity.

He seemed very much your normal person but .....
OAP,

The bulk of the old magazines were collected by my late wife.* She collected everything including stray dogs.* I am now the proud owner of 50 years of her collecting.* She had a thing about keeping stuff.* I think it was due to her early childhood and the personal issues she endured during that time.* It took me 9 months to clean out her clothes from the house.* I could have started my own store...many still had the sales tag on them while others were clearly many many years old.*

I have my own stash of old electronic stuff and of course hand tools from four generations of guys plus my own stuff.*

I'm not crazy......really!
Old 03-21-2006, 06:11 PM   #29

SteveR, no offense intended.
I'm probably overly (rabid) about getting rid of my own things because my family has done the kind of collecting that you describe.

Sometimes, I just look at their houses and think why. But that's for them to decide. Not me. I don't pretend to know why, I just know I want to lessen my load.

Good luck with sorting out what you want and what you have been burdened with.

Things are sometimes a gift and sometimes a curse. I'm trying to decide which I have.

Old 03-21-2006, 06:58 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

My mother still groans when we bring this up. :P

About 20 years ago a friend of hers died, and the husband and semi-retarded daughter continued to live in an increasingly cluttered house.

One day the old man finally had enough and told the daughter to sell as much stuff as she could at a garage sale. "Including all your mother's old junk in the display cabinet".

She set everything up and shortly after daybreak told the father that the first shopper gave her $100.

"$5 each for mom's old figurines".

My mother who knew what they were and their value almost croaked when she found out.

They were 20 Royal Doultons, probably worth between $200 and $300 each at the time.

Imagine what the buyer thought when he first arrived?
Old 03-21-2006, 07:07 PM   #31
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Shame on them for taking advantage of the retarded daughter

Always check half.com when selling books and magazines. No listing fees the listing is until they sell. My guess is that old sets of magazines will sell better as a "lot." Shipping would be expensive, so they might sell better on Craig's list which is localized and folks would come pick them up.