Dealing with toxic workplace

Francis

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hope this is the right subforum for this type question.I've read many posts here and there many posters with amazing responses. I never thought I'd have to ask this but I have problems with what I'll call a toxic workplace. I'm 55 years old, work in healthcare, and am FI. It was a decent place to work for years. The workplace changed over the last 5 years after being acquired by a for profit entity. It is now close to being intolerable. The main problem is they can hire younger workers at a lower pay rate if they somehow get the more experienced older workers to quit. Everything they do revolves around that premise. I could give many examples but don't want to make this post too long. During the last 6 months our supervisor, our Director, and our regional manager all quit.

I'm trying to hang on but it's a losing battle. It affects me even on days off. I think it's beginning affect my health too. I'm taking one medication for high blood pressure and recently I had to double the dose to control it. So why don't I just leave? This might not sound normal, but leaving makes me feel like I am caving in to their pressure. Sort of they are getting what they want. I am at a loss on how to deal with their tactics. What is the best way to deal with this type of workplace? Thanks for reading.

Francis

Since you're FI, just quit. They don't win if you quit - you do.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

So why don't I just leave? This might not sound normal, but leaving makes me feel like I am caving in to their pressure. Sort of they are getting what they want.
Some battles are not worth winning, especially if you are hastening your demise.

Declare victory and retreat. The fact that you are FI means you've already won the war.

So why don't I just leave? This might not sound normal, but leaving makes me feel like I am caving in to their pressure. Sort of they are getting what they want.

Aren't you letting them control your life?

Take control back. Figure out what is good for you, what you want to do.

It's a good feeling. :dance:

I would tell you where the people who torment you can go, but it sounds like they are there already. >:D

If it is affecting your health then it is time to bail and get out. As REWahaoo said you've already won.

The whole purpose of being FI is being able to leave when the BS bucket gets too full. Life is short - maybe shorter when you have this much stress.

Your the one calling the shots you now have all the power. Make sure you have your withdrawals thought out and go.
You won the war!

Edit to add: Now take your toys and go home, let the others figure it out for themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Some battles are not worth winning, especially if you are hastening your demise.

Declare victory and retreat. The fact that you are FI means you've already won the war.
+1

I find that the stronger my FI position gets, the more intolerable the workplace gets. It may be if you were not FI, it would not be as bad...

But I would be thinking of a way of making a graceful exit.

Given that you are FI why not explore other employment options? Contact the folks who left, network. At 55 you could be viewed as some one who is at the top of their game. Don't discuss your current workplace environment, even if everyone in your industry knows they are stinkers, just say you are ready for a change.

Seems to be a continuation of your prev. thread http://www.early-retirement.org/for...tire-financially-just-cant-do-it-74669-2.html .

If you are FI and hate the place, it's up to you to quit.

"The Machine" (workplace , company, etc) will continue and will not change for the better if you stay or go. "They" or "It" doesn't know or care about anyone as an individual , unless you become a royal p.i.t.a. , then "They" will recognize you , for all the wrong reasons.

If you want to stay busy in the same vocation (Rx), try Locum for a while

Last edited:
I'm sorry you are suffering. You sound like a really conscientious person. Others here have given you great advice, and I would add, please, please take care of Francis. You're in healthcare, so know the importance of diet, sleep, and above all exercise. Never mind winning at work - you want to win at life, and that means keeping your health.

Best of luck,

Amethyst

Another option--Do what you think is right at work. Piss off the powers that be. If you no longer plan on working there make them fire you! Do what you can to make the patients and co-workers happy. Damn the rules! You have nothing to lose so have fun at their expense.

You have just finished playing the ninth inning, and you have scored more runs than the other team. Game over. Why go to extra innings if you have already won?

Your experience in the health care field mirrors that of many thousands of other professionals these days. Often these operational changes are a well-orchestrated admin tsunami. They WANT young new grads who don't know any better. Experienced professionals are often viewed as a threat. (Functional age discrimination?) It is not worth your health trying to "hang on". Once these HC admin fools get control of a facility they WILL make their changes one way or another.
If you no longer find enjoyment/fulfillment in your position and the stress is negatively affecting your health, it may be time to move on. If you still enjoy your profession you could explore other positions in a more hospitable environment. Or, as others have said, FIRE. After all- you've won the "game" ;)

15 years ago I was let go from an upper management, high-paying, job. The dismissal was grotesquely unfair, but rather than litigate I took a very generous severance package. At the time the company was relatively small.
In a fairy tale, bad things would have then happened to the president who canned me and the company would have folded. But the company has grown considerably and is highly successful. I guess you could say they "won."
So what? Here I am, absolutely thrilled with my retirement life. It's not about winning or losing. If you're FI, and you can be happy as opposed to miserable, the decision is easy.

If there weren't these *******s trying to make you quit, would you feel more comfortable retiring?

Seems to be a continuation of your prev. thread http://www.early-retirement.org/for...tire-financially-just-cant-do-it-74669-2.html .

If you are FI and hate the place, it's up to you to quit.

"The Machine" (workplace , company, etc) will continue and will not change for the better if you stay or go. "They" or "It" doesn't know or care about anyone as an individual , unless you become a royal p.i.t.a. , then "They" will recognize you , for all the wrong reasons.

If you want to stay busy in the same vocation (Rx), try Locum for a while
Yes, this is a continuation of my first post. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to add to the original post or start another. Thanks for your advice.

Another option--Do what you think is right at work. Piss off the powers that be. If you no longer plan on working there make them fire you! Do what you can to make the patients and co-workers happy. Damn the rules! You have nothing to lose so have fun at their expense.
I already do what is right and patients come first. I am not a slacker and do my best to do high quality work. The problem is management assigns each pharmacist much more work than is physically possible to do. By that I mean I could be responsible for working with critically ill patients and at the same time be expected to council discharge patients on a separate floor. Unless you can be in two places at the same time it is impossible. So then the manager of one of the floors will call my boss and complain the pharmacist wasn't there.

15 years ago I was let go from an upper management, high-paying, job. The dismissal was grotesquely unfair, but rather than litigate I took a very generous severance package. At the time the company was relatively small.
In a fairy tale, bad things would have then happened to the president who canned me and the company would have folded. But the company has grown considerably and is highly successful. I guess you could say they "won."
So what? Here I am, absolutely thrilled with my retirement life. It's not about winning or losing. If you're FI, and you can be happy as opposed to miserable, the decision is easy.

Thanks for your perspective. It makes a lot of sense to me.

If there weren't these *******s trying to make you quit, would you feel more comfortable retiring?

Good point. No, if the workplace didn't become so bad I would probably work a few more years even though I'm FI already.

Good point. No, if the workplace didn't become so bad I would probably work a few more years even though I'm FI already.

Clearly, when your mental and physical health is suffering, something must change. Dealing with unreasonable demands on a daily basis will kill your spirit, mind and body. Would you be interested in working with a different organization, perhaps part time? It would be a good way to extend your career and if the experiment didn't work out, you could still ER.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I do have a plan going forward. I am contributing the maximum percentage to my 401k so it will be fully funded by April. I am checking pricing on the aca exchange to buy health insurance. I understand to try and keep magi low for a possible subsidy. If I choose to leave on my own there would be no severance package (other than paying for accumulated vacation time). There is a rumor of a layoff in March, have to wait and see.

About three of my friends want out too. The things management does are just way over the top. They have posted jobs with unfavorable working hours so, of course, none of us apply. Then they hire someone younger and for less money and give them the day hours and make us work the unfavorable ones. Many other things. One of my friends knew a labor lawyer and ran things by him. He was interested in pursuing this but no one wants to stick their neck out because they will likely be fired.

At least I am preparing to leave if need be. My plan would be to relax as long as I want to - years possibly. It's almost I have to detox from the place. Then, if I want to I could always work a day or two every so often. I don't think I'll have to work from a monetary standpoint but maybe just to keep in touch with the profession.

Francis

All the money you have can't buy good health. You already have the FI, so get out before you have more health problems.

Back
Top Bottom