Join Early Retirement Today

Dealing with toxic workplace
Old 01-03-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

Dealing with toxic workplace

Hope this is the right subforum for this type question.I've read many posts here and there many posters with amazing responses. I never thought I'd have to ask this but I have problems with what I'll call a toxic workplace. I'm 55 years old, work in healthcare, and am FI. It was a decent place to work for years. The workplace changed over the last 5 years after being acquired by a for profit entity. It is now close to being intolerable. The main problem is they can hire younger workers at a lower pay rate if they somehow get the more experienced older workers to quit. Everything they do revolves around that premise. I could give many examples but don't want to make this post too long. During the last 6 months our supervisor, our Director, and our regional manager all quit.

I'm trying to hang on but it's a losing battle. It affects me even on days off. I think it's beginning affect my health too. I'm taking one medication for high blood pressure and recently I had to double the dose to control it. So why don't I just leave? This might not sound normal, but leaving makes me feel like I am caving in to their pressure. Sort of they are getting what they want. I am at a loss on how to deal with their tactics. What is the best way to deal with this type of workplace? Thanks for reading.

Francis

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2015, 01:58 PM   #2

Since you're FI, just quit. They don't win if you quit - you do.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Old 01-03-2015, 02:02 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
So why don't I just leave? This might not sound normal, but leaving makes me feel like I am caving in to their pressure. Sort of they are getting what they want.
Some battles are not worth winning, especially if you are hastening your demise.

Declare victory and retreat. The fact that you are FI means you've already won the war.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis View Post
So why don't I just leave? This might not sound normal, but leaving makes me feel like I am caving in to their pressure. Sort of they are getting what they want.
Aren't you letting them control your life?

Take control back. Figure out what is good for you, what you want to do.

It's a good feeling.

I would tell you where the people who torment you can go, but it sounds like they are there already.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:13 PM   #5

If it is affecting your health then it is time to bail and get out. As REWahaoo said you've already won.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The whole purpose of being FI is being able to leave when the BS bucket gets too full. Life is short - maybe shorter when you have this much stress.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Your the one calling the shots you now have all the power. Make sure you have your withdrawals thought out and go.
You won the war!

Edit to add: Now take your toys and go home, let the others figure it out for themselves.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 01-03-2015, 02:22 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Some battles are not worth winning, especially if you are hastening your demise.

Declare victory and retreat. The fact that you are FI means you've already won the war.
+1
Old 01-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #9

I find that the stronger my FI position gets, the more intolerable the workplace gets. It may be if you were not FI, it would not be as bad...

But I would be thinking of a way of making a graceful exit.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:49 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Given that you are FI why not explore other employment options? Contact the folks who left, network. At 55 you could be viewed as some one who is at the top of their game. Don't discuss your current workplace environment, even if everyone in your industry knows they are stinkers, just say you are ready for a change.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:52 PM   #11

Seems to be a continuation of your prev. thread Hi - I'm 55 years old, could retire financially, just can't do it .

If you are FI and hate the place, it's up to you to quit.

"The Machine" (workplace , company, etc) will continue and will not change for the better if you stay or go. "They" or "It" doesn't know or care about anyone as an individual , unless you become a royal p.i.t.a. , then "They" will recognize you , for all the wrong reasons.

If you want to stay busy in the same vocation (Rx), try Locum for a while
Old 01-03-2015, 02:55 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry you are suffering. You sound like a really conscientious person. Others here have given you great advice, and I would add, please, please take care of Francis. You're in healthcare, so know the importance of diet, sleep, and above all exercise. Never mind winning at work - you want to win at life, and that means keeping your health.

Best of luck,

Amethyst
Old 01-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #13
Full time employment: Posting here.

Another option--Do what you think is right at work. Piss off the powers that be. If you no longer plan on working there make them fire you! Do what you can to make the patients and co-workers happy. Damn the rules! You have nothing to lose so have fun at their expense.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:23 PM   #14

You have just finished playing the ninth inning, and you have scored more runs than the other team. Game over. Why go to extra innings if you have already won?
Old 01-03-2015, 05:05 PM   #15

Your experience in the health care field mirrors that of many thousands of other professionals these days. Often these operational changes are a well-orchestrated admin tsunami. They WANT young new grads who don't know any better. Experienced professionals are often viewed as a threat. (Functional age discrimination?) It is not worth your health trying to "hang on". Once these HC admin fools get control of a facility they WILL make their changes one way or another.
If you no longer find enjoyment/fulfillment in your position and the stress is negatively affecting your health, it may be time to move on. If you still enjoy your profession you could explore other positions in a more hospitable environment. Or, as others have said, FIRE. After all- you've won the "game"
Old 01-03-2015, 05:19 PM   #16

15 years ago I was let go from an upper management, high-paying, job. The dismissal was grotesquely unfair, but rather than litigate I took a very generous severance package. At the time the company was relatively small.
In a fairy tale, bad things would have then happened to the president who canned me and the company would have folded. But the company has grown considerably and is highly successful. I guess you could say they "won."
So what? Here I am, absolutely thrilled with my retirement life. It's not about winning or losing. If you're FI, and you can be happy as opposed to miserable, the decision is easy.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:57 PM   #17

If there weren't these *******s trying to make you quit, would you feel more comfortable retiring?
Old 01-03-2015, 06:11 PM   #18
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Declare victory and retreat.
Thanks, I like that.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #19
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
Seems to be a continuation of your prev. thread Hi - I'm 55 years old, could retire financially, just can't do it .

If you are FI and hate the place, it's up to you to quit.

"The Machine" (workplace , company, etc) will continue and will not change for the better if you stay or go. "They" or "It" doesn't know or care about anyone as an individual , unless you become a royal p.i.t.a. , then "They" will recognize you , for all the wrong reasons.

If you want to stay busy in the same vocation (Rx), try Locum for a while
Yes, this is a continuation of my first post. Wasn't sure if I was supposed to add to the original post or start another. Thanks for your advice.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:32 PM   #20
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTinkerer View Post
Another option--Do what you think is right at work. Piss off the powers that be. If you no longer plan on working there make them fire you! Do what you can to make the patients and co-workers happy. Damn the rules! You have nothing to lose so have fun at their expense.
I already do what is right and patients come first. I am not a slacker and do my best to do high quality work. The problem is management assigns each pharmacist much more work than is physically possible to do. By that I mean I could be responsible for working with critically ill patients and at the same time be expected to council discharge patients on a separate floor. Unless you can be in two places at the same time it is impossible. So then the manager of one of the floors will call my boss and complain the pharmacist wasn't there.