Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmloki View Post
In my head it's bu-bu-buh-Bambi. Though on closer inspection i see it should be B-B-B am I.
Either that or "I'm a BBB" spelled backward...
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 PM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I had a 5 year old punk call me "dude" the other day. I asked him if he called his dad "dude", and he said yes. So I said: "Well, I'm not your dad, so you can call me "SIR", got it? With scared eyes, he said: "Yes sir".
Well, your screen name does contain the name "dude". So you can't be too offended. Ok, dude?

Maybe the 5 year old is a lurker here?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I had a 5 year old punk call me "dude" the other day. I asked him if he called his dad "dude", and he said yes. So I said: "Well, I'm not your dad, so you can call me "SIR", got it? With scared eyes, he said: "Yes sir".

Gotta love messing with other people's kids.......
Could be worse - showed a young high school teacher and his fiance the little house we're trying to sell the other day - she said they were weighing new construction vs. buying a used house. Told them that i was probably shooting myself in the foot, but pointed out many of the benefits of new construction at this particular time. As they were leaving the teacher shook my hand and said i was a really cool old dude. sigh. It's one thing to be a dude, quite another to be an old dude, cool or not.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:24 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

I'm with Martha on this one.

I was raised that the correct way to address a person, particularly an elder or a person of authority, is "Sir" or "Ma'am" if you don't know their name, or "Mr./Mrs./Dr./Miss/Ms. LastName" as appropriate for their educational background, sex, and marital status until and unless they invited you to address them differently, at which point it was OK to switch to "FirstName" or whatever they request.

Other rules: If someone messes up or makes an incorrect assumption about your marital status, educational background, or sex, it's OK to correct them but a waste of time to get offended over it. Also, it's incorrect to get offended if someone is unwittingly formal (read: polite) with you and you prefer to be addressed informally; just say, "Oh please, call me FirstName" and be done with it.

Most doctors I know are like Rich, where they expect the title in professional settings but don't get worked up about it in cases where people just don't know. My dad, sister, and two-brothers-in-law are all doctors, and they're all that way as well. I did know one guy with an honorary doctorate who used and insisted on the title; my family's viewpoint was that was inappropriate (both insisting on it and using the title even though the degree was honorary).

That's how I was raised (39 going on 40 lived most of my life in the PacNW), and I'm trying to train my kids that way as well.

2Cor521
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:53 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

2Cor, I agree. In my business, everyone is Dr. so and so unless I know differently--and still I say Sir rather than Mr. I refer to my older boss as Dr. and Sir, but my younger boss by his first name.

I would love to get called "Miss" but am happy with the typical "Ma'am". I use Ms., clearly enunciated, when speaking to women unless I know they are married and older, then I use Mrs.

This is probably just the Southerner in me. I don't mind being called by my first name, but I think it happens very rarely here. They would rather stumble over my last name than be thought so fresh.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Either that or "I'm a BBB" spelled backward...
Actually, it was supposed to be bamI...but my finger stuttered.....
Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did enjoy the use of Y'all when we were in Charleston Buford and Savannah. There was a lot of yes, Sir too. Nice warm friendly respectful people....although the use of the phrase "War of Northern Aggression" when the Civil War was mentioned makes me wonder if everything is really all that Hunkey Dorey if we have anything to worry about....
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Thanks, Danny. It is Beaufort, btw, but is pronounced (in SC) like that. Just to confuse things, the NC Beaufort is pronounced Bow-fort.

And yes we still refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression. My husband remembers being told as a child that his belly button was the scar from where a Yankee shot him. I am pretty sure that we aren't going to get over it.

But as long as you don't tell us how you do it (better) up North, we'll be very friendly and gracious!

Old 01-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #49
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Thanks, Danny. It is Beaufort, btw, but is pronounced (in SC) like that. Just to confuse things, the NC Beaufort is pronounced Bow-fort.

And yes we still refer to it as the War of Northern Aggression. My husband remembers being told as a child that his belly button was the scar from where a Yankee shot him. I am pretty sure that we aren't going to get over it.

But as long as you don't tell us how you do it (better) up North, we'll be very friendly and gracious!
of course it is beaufort shame on me Miss Sarah - I remember sitting in Plums eating my shrimp roll practicing how to say it and I used buford to remember! that's a cute story about DH's button! ever refer to Charleston as Chucktown?
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:20 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Oh yeah! And North Chuck for our less charming neighbor to the north--one of those highest crime cities in the state.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:21 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Oh yeah! And North Chuck for our less charming neighbor to the north--one of those highest crime cities in the state.
Is North Chuck also known as Upper Chuck, or just Up Chuck (for short)?
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:24 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

I don't know why "y'all" sounds so much nicer than the "you guys" I hear from wait staff--from "Are you guys ready to order?" and "Can I get you guys anything else?" to "Here's you guys's check." The "guys" can be blue-haired great grandmothers or biker dudes--it's all the same to the waiters.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:40 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

"Y'all" is a great term, and one of the verbalisms picked up while in Dixie that I still use today. Another is "fixin'" (as in "I'm fixing to go to the Piggly Wiggly, does anyone need anything?" Much handier than "getting ready," less stuffy than "preparing."
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:49 PM   #54
Administrator

I also like "y'all" particularly when spoken with a drawl. It took me a while to realize that "y'all" is singular. (plural is "all y'all")
Old 01-23-2009, 03:02 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

This is actually quite funny.

During my first internship (18months or so ago) I began to wear a suit everyday and was commonly refered to as "Sir" at resteraunts and other non-professional gatherings. However, the people at my office addressed me by my first name. I, on the other hand, always addressed my superiors as Mr./Mrs. until told to do otherwise.

I don't start till march, but I stopped in yesterday to pick up an assignment one of the sr. associates asked me to work on "if I had time" and the secretary addressed me as Mr. Doe (last_name anynomous). You can imagine, at the 24, how suprised I was to have a woman in her mid 30s refer to me so formally. I have to admit, I felt complimented but I would rather her just refer to me by my first name (as she had done the prior summer during the internship).
landonew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:29 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by growing_older View Post
. Unfortunately my last name is difficult and so they usually garble it. More often than not into one of several completely different words, so I'm always a little unsure if they mean me. I used to correct them, but now I usually just let it slide. I would have preferred to be addressed by first name, or if needed "Sir" but the endless stream of Mr Unintelligiblegarble means I often just answer to anything at all.
Around 80% of the time my last name is butchered, so I prefer being called by my first name or Sir. If I am waiting at office or such, I generally answer to the Mr. long pause P ah um.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I also like "y'all" particularly when spoken with a drawl. It took me a while to realize that "y'all" is singular. (plural is "all y'all")
Not so sure about that, Alan. "All y'all" is obviously plural, but in my experience, "y'all" is generally used as plural, comparable to the dreaded "you guys."

Sarah? Set us straight here.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:08 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

I don't like being called "ma'am" as it makes me feel ancient. In an anonymous setting I prefer "Ms". In a professional setting, people usually call me Dr. Lastname unless they know me well, in which case I very much prefer to use first names, unless I'm addressing an older person who may not feel comfortable with first names. If in doubt, I ask.

I work with a lot of international trainees and both they and I get the order of names mixed up from time to time, as in "Dr. Firstname". This recently led to confusion when a package from a middle eastern country went AWOL because it was addressed to "Dr. Firstname". Another complication is that my Firstname is challenging to pronounce and people call me the most unflattering things.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Y'all from a foreigner's perspective.... In the late seventies my first driving trip to Florida, I stopped somewhere in Georgia. At a roadside food stop. Had lunch, went to pay at the cash register. The friendly waitress bidding me goodbye said: y'all come back hear?

My literal English kicked in, rotating my head around, knowing i was by myself; what the heck is she seeing? Took a long time to figure out the "y'all" is not necessarily plural.

Now for Maryland, where I lived for a while, (moved there from NY) is big on the "Honey" expression. When first moved there, after a few days headed to restaurant/bar.
Had dinner at the bar, along with a beer. After the the first bottle was empty, the barmaid says: you want another beer honey. I was perplexed to say the least. So I responded, geez if I'm honey after after one beer, what happens after two? She gave me a less than endearing look. A fellow, a few seats down, hearing my accent gave me the short version.

Around here it is common form to call everybody honey by waitresses.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

I once had a doctor who called me by my first name. So, I answered him using his first name. He said he preferred Dr. XXX. I told him I preferred Ms. Furball. He said that he called all his patients by their first name and then used my first name again. I left and found a new doc.
FurBall is offline   Reply With Quote