Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2009, 03:39 PM   #121
Recycles dryer sheets

My Dad just mistakenly signed an email with his first name (instead of "Dad") since he was using his work email, and I jokingly responded with an email asking if this means I can call him that.

I call everyone that I work with (up to the CEO) by their first names, except for one gentleman. He happens to share my first name, and I call him Mr. Last Name because he gets a kick out of it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 PM   #122
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
Is it okay to hijack a thread that has pretty much run its course or should it just be left alone to die a natural death?
i don't think it has to die - it is the Dear Abby Forum so I know i'm going to be coming to it from time to time to ask for answers to life's persistent questions...

Old 01-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What were we talking about?
Old 01-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #124

bbbb- we were talking about names (and your lips)

my yoga teacher announced that as of today she has a new first name...there was an awkward couple seconds...reason: she had just today become an American citizen got rid of her old Chinese name and adopted the "American" one....she said she had started crying when she did the pledge and been crying all day ...all of us gave her a standing mountain ovation with both hands clapping..it was very touching to see someone so moved to become an American!
Old 01-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #125

What a great story, Danny. I am so happy for her and very proud! It is good to remember how many people dream of becoming citizens of the United States and for the native-born to count our blessings and good fortune to be born here.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Super Bowl Awareness
Old 01-29-2009, 01:48 PM   #126

Super Bowl Awareness

Dear Miss Abby

When is the Super Bowl?

Something is happening to me lately

I was in the Co-op with dw - they were having all this free "party" food & snacks to sample

wife says they're probably encouraging people to get ready for the "game"

i drew a big blank and blankly stared at her

my WIFE had to explain that the Super Bowl is coming up (she also lets me know when the twins & wolves are playing on tv)

what the heck is wrong me?

who is playing? this is not a joke I haven't even bothered to find this out until now.

are there any others with super bowl awareness deficit
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny View Post

My deficit goes far beyond the super bowl and increases each year. I used to try to care which set of 11 men could move a piece of leather around in a more efficient manner. I can no longer even force myself to care in order to be social. Even when I used to enjoy playing athletic games I had little interest in watching others play. I would rather watch paint grow or grass dry. There, I've said it. It seems that just by living in America I would at least accidentally know which teams are going to be in the super bowl (Is this decided yet?) but I don't. If I continue to express my feelings on this subject I run the risk of being thought anti-American.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:53 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

You just need a memory aid. Found this one this morning.

Video-Sexy Girls Wearing Bodypaint Superbowl Jersey's - YouTube | NFL, Arizona Cardinals, Pittsburgh Steelers

It's a red team vs. Alcoa Aluminum i think. Or something. Go bodypaint!
Old 01-29-2009, 03:27 PM   #129
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by noworkethic View Post
My deficit goes far beyond the super bowl and increases each year. I used to try to care which set of 11 men could move a piece of leather around in a more efficient manner. I can no longer even force myself to care in order to be social. Even when I used to enjoy playing athletic games I had little interest in watching others play. I would rather watch paint grow or grass dry. There, I've said it. It seems that just by living in America I would at least accidentally know which teams are going to be in the super bowl (Is this decided yet?) but I don't. If I continue to express my feelings on this subject I run the risk of being thought anti-American.
Are they still playing football?
Old 01-29-2009, 07:24 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

I may be getting old and forgetful, but aren't those painted things up top supposed to move when they bounce around like that? These ladies looked more like Barbie dolls in paint. I'm a big fan of body paint, but there was just something wrong with that one.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:28 AM   #131

Quote:
Most of the time lately youngsters less than half my age that wait on me want to call me by my first name. Must be their training. Most of the time I let it slide. Too much trouble to make an issue of it. Today getting the car serviced the early 20's guy started doing it over and over - started to irritate me. I finally stopped him and told him I preferred Mr. Danny (well, really my last name). It stunned him couldn't speak at first started stumbling over his words looked at the printout and said but your name is Danny. Finally got back to full sentences again and managed a Mr.

My attitude is that I don't know him I don't want to be his buddy I could be his grandfather. I think we should have a professional relationship and he should give some respect by using Mr. I very much appreciate service people who do and I feel like being a good customer and coming back for more of that treatment. Did I handle this correctly. Am I being too uptight have I developed a complex and maybe a hangup Abby?
To answer your questions: Yes, and yes, and yes, and i dont know

There's no problem with the way you handled it, but to have to ask for someone to call you mr. xxxx is goofy...kinda defeats the whole 'respect' thing you were shooting for....don't ya think? from that point on the "mr's" were obviously forced and not out of respect....

Your name IS danny...so what's wrong with that? I think it truly might just be a generational gap . I dont see a 'problem' with calling older folks by their first name, although i do call most mr or mrs. i talk to about 30 potential customers monthly, and start off with mister. then i slip in a first name here and there if it seems to flow. to me, it makes the conversation more personal....and i'm selling myself as much as my service

my final answer: ease off. theres better things to be uptight about
Old 01-31-2009, 01:25 AM   #132

the door thing is complicated...i hold it for men women and dogs even cats.
what usually happens is that the other person if not close will start hurrying up so i may not be doing them such a big favor....it's a judgement call depends on the distance..pregnant wheelchair old get special service,,
Old 01-31-2009, 08:38 AM   #133
Moderator Emeritus

I think the door thing is much easier than it was in the 70s. Our downtown (and Danny's downtown) is connected by skywalks. Our's has a lot of doors and lots of foot traffic. Typically, if someone goes through a door, male or female, and someone else is close behind, you either push the door hard and then hold it lightly with your fingers so it doesn't close quickly behind you on the next person, or you actually hold it open for the next person to go through first.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:22 PM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't know if this taekwondo custom is local or nationwide, but 4th-dan and higher blackbelts are referred to as "Master" regardless of gender. So a Hawaii husband & wife dojang is run by Master and her spouse, Master. She says she much prefers that form of address to being called "sir" by nervous students.

===========

Nords, you are probably getting the Korean version of "sensei" in Japanese - It is a non-gender-specific honorific.

all the titles I know in Japanese -san , -sama, -sensei, -shihan refer to rank, not gender.

'tis nice (I've trained in karate, but have been called 'sir' by the aformentioned TKD students when visiting other people's training halls. weird! )

ta,
mew
Old 01-31-2009, 09:33 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Dear Miss Abby

When is the Super Bowl?

....who is playing? this is not a joke I haven't even bothered to find this out until now.

Dear Abby may be the wrong person to ask about the Super Bowl. I've been asking around for two weeks to find out what time it starts; I already knew which day but don't know and don't care which teams. Finally got a consensus on the time so can plan the anti-Super Bowl activities. Anyone know for sure, 3:30 PST? Free day at the museum, library--too bad both close at 5:00, maybe a movie and dinner later.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:29 AM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
Dear Abby may be the wrong person to ask about the Super Bowl. I've been asking around for two weeks to find out what time it starts; I already knew which day but don't know and don't care which teams. Finally got a consensus on the time so can plan the anti-Super Bowl activities. Anyone know for sure, 3:30 PST? Free day at the museum, library--too bad both close at 5:00, maybe a movie and dinner later.
i still don't know for sure i think the cardinals & pittsburgh i don't get a paper I only watch pbs news hour and only do certain areas of the internet...

I'll be at the Church Of The Wheel in the morning later at the museum while dw gives tour and then yoga from 5 - 6 and will arrive at The Lazyboy about 6:30 to watch commercials and maybe whatever happens between commercials while listening to dw throw out ideas for our new mexico trip (it will be in the 50's! in march) - I'm sure i'll be muting the broadcast...only watching because my boys will be talking to me later about it and I want to make sure they still think i'm a manly man...
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #137

Quote:

Super bowl: A very very large dish, bowl shaped container, full of white fluffy and greasy substance, aka popcorn.

The popcorn is used as absorbent material for large amounts of yellow sudsy liquid consumed prodigiously, while staring at the one eyed monster.

It seems to be used largely when "sports fans" watching images on a glass screen, of a bunch of armor plated, super hefty dudes stand around for hours, while taking occasional breaks for throwing or running with an oblong shaped thingy referred to as "ball". All of which is just an excuse for a "half time" show of scantily dressed females experiencing actual or near miss wardrobe malfunctions.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:11 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
....only watching because my boys will be talking to me later about it and I want to make sure they still think i'm a manly man...
Danny, I hear that real men can eat quiche now; however, I think that food item is sort of out of style anyway. This morning I found out which teams are playing! Osmosis. I find that I can chat with most guys about sports by knowing the absolute minimum, like "today is Super Bowl Sunday!" They just want to give their impressions and opinions, so I just listen since I have none of my own.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Are they still playing football?
What's football?
Old 02-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #140
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
What's football?
Bread and circuses