Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-21-2008, 05:52 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Man, I don't know what it is with you and Macs. I have external hubs on all my macs, for years - never a problem. Even the old 2000 graphite iMac that the kid uses everyday.

-ERD50
Same here - I have 6 USB devices connected to my hub on my Imac with no problems. But bluetooth is a different story. I used to have bluetooth wireless mouse and keyboard - now I'm back to USB due to bluetooth problems

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2008, 06:17 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
You know what they say, there are those people who do backups and those who haven't had a disk failure.
You're a good candidate for a nice four drive external esata raid 5 box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I don't understand all this crap.
Simply there are powered/active USB hubs and unpowered/passive ones. The active ones cost a little more and generally give fewer problems when you're using a lot of devices.

Quote:
How do I know if it was power supply?
I take it yours plugs into the wall? Is it all still plugged in? Were there any power or activity lights on the hub that used to be lit up that arent now? Does anything change with the devices that continued to work on it if you yank the hubs plug out of the wall?

If you're missing a "power" light that used to be there, and/or nothing goes wrong when the plug gets pulled out, the transformer/power supply for that hub may have just flaked out. The hub dropped into its passive mode and finicky things stopped working.

Quote:
It worked, then it didn't; with no change I was aware of.
Something changed, the trick is finding out what it was.

Another test to try is unplug the hub from the computer, and unplug the drive from the hub. Turn off the drive. Reboot the computer. Plug in the hub with its alleged power supply plugged in. You should see some messages from Windows that its seen the hub. Now plug in the drive. Now turn it on. Did you see anything about the drive being seen from Windows?

Quote:
I thought (mistakenly ?) that I could link up several layers of USB hubs.
Generally a bad idea.

Quote:
This reminds me of owning my MG in the '70s: every morning was an adventure re starting.
My dad had a 73 or 74. Pretty sure it was a 74. Green. New England road salt did it some serious damage. Colder than crap to ride in during the winter time.

Hey, I get to use a joke! You know why the Brits dont make computers? They havent figured out how to make them leak oil yet!

I see ERD50's lips are flapping, but I have his volume to zero. I'm gonna guess he's saying it'd be great with a mac. If you put the same hub and the same drive on a mac, you'd have had the same problem. This is quite unlikely to be operating system related.

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 09:19 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
I see ERD50's lips are flapping, but I have his volume to zero. I'm gonna guess he's saying it'd be great with a mac. If you put the same hub and the same drive on a mac, you'd have had the same problem. This is quite unlikely to be operating system related.
Wow, now you need an excuse to put words in my mouth? Is that progress?

Ummm, *you* brought Macs into the discussion. Your personal episode of an external hub problem on your iMac hardly seems relevant to the OP.

I was just pointing that out - I've used and seen plenty of Macs with external USB hubs - and I haven't experienced any problems. External hubs are not a systematic problem with Macs. You seem to have bad luck with them, I suggest you stay away -no matter how tempted you are to overpay for one

Nope, I never said that his problem would be resolved with a Mac. If he has a bad hub, bad power supply, bad cable or bad peripheral, that problem would move to a new computer, too. Regardless of OS or anything else.

C'mon, be honest. You're just mad cause you couldn't explain what a 'non-regenerating hub' is. It's OK, I still think you know a lot of stuff.

-ERD50
Old 04-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Flap, flap, flap.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:47 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
I don't understand all this crap.
How do I know if it was power supply?
If you have a power chord that runs from the hub to an electrical socket it has a power supply (that's probably failing). You might check the specs on the supply (voltage, amps), and see if you have another lying around that will work.

I'm using one of these . It's a powered hub with four ports and works fine with my external Hard Disk and only costs $12.

My DLink router's power supply recently failed.