Join Early Retirement Today

Death With Dignity Laws vs Life Insurance
Old 10-28-2018, 03:06 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Death With Dignity Laws vs Life Insurance

With the thread on "Death With Dignity Laws" got me thinking, if you have it in your state, life insurance would have to be looked at differently.

I know the thoughts of life insurance isn't very popular here but still would change a lot of things if you had it.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2018, 06:23 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

IIRC most life insurance policies are fine with suicide as long as the policy has been in effect for two or more years. No double indemnity. YMMV so check your policy.
Old 10-30-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
IIRC most life insurance policies are fine with suicide as long as the policy has been in effect for two or more years.
That's my understanding too with insurance companies I've dealt with. But best to check as some may be different.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
That's my understanding too with insurance companies I've dealt with. But best to check as some may be different.
+1

However don't lie about smoking.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 02:49 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

That and I seem to recall that the death with dignity statute in our state specifically says that a life insurance claim as a result of a death under the statute can't be denied. I think it might be in the FAQ link that I posted in the other thread but I'm on my phone so I can't easily fetch it.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:31 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

The only "problem" with death with dignity is that you must have a terminal illness with life expectancy of about 6 months, your provider must agree that you have that life expectancy and you must consult with a psychiatrist to confirm that you can make such a decision not subject to the influence of others. You must then fill the prescription for drugs to end your life and administer them yourself. Any wonder that many who go through those steps pass before taking the meds?

Frankly using hospice is a better choice. Caregivers need to understand that they shouldn't call an ambulance without the advice of hospice.

Those laws do not help patients with Altzheimers, dementia at all.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
Frankly using hospice is a better choice. Caregivers need to understand that they shouldn't call an ambulance without the advice of hospice.
A better choice how? If I have terminal cancer that is painful, I could still live a long time, consumed with pain. Hospice cannot do anything other than administer meds. I could try to do it myself with the pain drugs but that is iffy and is the reason why assisted suicide uses pentobarbital, not opiates.

Now what should happen, is hospice should automatically give you a prescription of pentobarbital, which is a sleeping aid. If you decide to use it for another purpose, that is your choice.
TwoByFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

I don't disagree. My intention is to warn readers that it is not a panacea and practical for many situations. In Oregon, where I live, most who have jumped through all the death with dignity hoops pass without taking the meds to end their life. The dying can use hospice, they are not incompatible. What the dying need to make clear is that they do not want to be sent to the hospital where their protocols will necessitate preserving life at all costs.
Old 10-30-2018, 09:35 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
... In Oregon, where I live, most who have jumped through all the death with dignity hoops pass without taking the meds to end their life. The dying can use hospice, they are not incompatible. What the dying need to make clear is that they do not want to be sent to the hospital where their protocols will necessitate preserving life at all costs.
I think it means that for most dying people, just to let nature run its course such as being done in hospices is enough. Just do not try to intervene with fruitless medicine and treatments.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote