Join Early Retirement Today

Deck boards need help
Old 04-16-2017, 03:06 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Deck boards need help

We moved into a condo with a covered deck in back. The previous owner(s) installed screening around it, which we definitely like. But it's inside the railing around the deck and they only maintained the floorboards inside the screen.

So the few inches of the deck's floorboards that are outside the screen have apparently never been maintained since they were originally built about 15 years ago. Photo attached.

DW doesn't want me to remove the screening because the way it was installed it would be a major job, so I'll have to do something to those board ends on a ladder. What would be the best way to treat the wood to properly preserve it? Seems to me that they are so far gone that ordinary deck seal treatment wouldn't be sufficient. Any suggestion welcome!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0014.jpg (165.8 KB, 58 views)

braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

No personal experience with this but sounds like a possibility...

Repair Old Wood, LiquidWood® - Abatron, Inc.

Good luck!

Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Looks like treated pine? If so, my experience is at 15 years of exposure to the elements (especially UV) the decking is toast. I'm not aware of anything you can do at this point short of replacing. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

Edit: I have seen some deck restoration products but have no experience with them. Reviews look mixed:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Olympic-RES...fl-oz/50353784

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...allon/50330847

Charter resident of the lumpen slums of cyberspace

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Looks like treated pine? If so, my experience is at 15 years of exposure to the elements (especially UV) the decking is toast. I'm not aware of anything you can do at this point short of replacing. Not what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

Edit: I have seen some deck restoration products but have no experience with them. Reviews look mixed:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Olympic-RES...fl-oz/50353784

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Rust-Oleum-...allon/50330847
I have seen much worse.... I bet you can get some more life out of them using one of those products. I assume then that the rest of the board is in good shape and it is only this last few inches that are iffy?

What I'm curious about is how you keep bugs from coming up into the screened space through the gaps between the boards. Do you have a solid floor on top of the deck boards?
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #5

So it must be just "for looks", right? What about getting a few composite boards and covering it up? You might even be able to bevel or buy some PVC stock with a bevel, so that it sheds water.
Attached Images
File Type: png deckPretty.png (1.4 KB, 194 views)
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 04:26 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I have seen much worse.... I bet you can get some more life out of them using one of those products. I assume then that the rest of the board is in good shape and it is only this last few inches that are iffy?

What I'm curious about is how you keep bugs from coming up into the screened space through the gaps between the boards. Do you have a solid floor on top of the deck boards?
All interesting ideas.
Yes, the rest of the decking is in fine condition; only those few outside inches are problematic.

We rarely have insects come up between the boards, so that's not actually a problem. If it were, I would probably just install screen material beneath the deck floor. There is a nearly constant breeze here (we're on top of a hill), which is why the deck is so enjoyable and probably why the insect problem is insignificant.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
So it must be just "for looks", right? What about getting a few composite boards and covering it up? You might even be able to bevel or buy some PVC stock with a bevel, so that it sheds water.
Clever idea, thanks. If I don't do the restoration thing I'll probably do this.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
A PVC clapboard seems like it would be perfect for that application.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I would think that even if you put a clap board over the ends that you will still want to seal the ends to keep from wicking water further into the good part of the board.
Newventurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 06:52 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you have an HOA? We live in a townhouse and our home owners association is responsible for all exterior maintenance. Legally, we own the interior wall paint and what is inside of it. Exterior walls and everything else (including exterior decks and patios) are community owned.

You should check with your board or management company before doing any maintenance or repairs on your deck.

Brian
BrianB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:29 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

+1 with checking about what you can do and what the condo association is responsible for.

But putting that aside, the boards look ok structurally from the picture in the OP... could you have a carpenter wrap them with aluminum flashing? At my Mom's commercial property we have replaced some trim boards that were rotted and the ones we didn't replace were structurally ok but ugly so we just wrapped them all in aluminum... it looks real good and the flashing prevents water infiltration.

Otherwise, just spray them from the outside with Thompson's Water Seal in a garden sprayer and expect to repeat the process every 18 months or so.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56...60/35/5 AA
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

From all the stuff I read, those 5X or 10X paint is not that good... many lawsuits... but since you will not be walking on those areas it might be OK...

I like the add a board or PVC option....

But, if you want to seal it up... epoxy.... I was recommended Git-Rot to fix my deck on my boat, but it is expensive... and I as only fixing a few areas that were 4"X3".... however, it worked great and the wood was fixed...

https://www.amazon.com/Boat-Life-Git...ywords=git+rot
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 06:23 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I suggest something similar to sengsational. pieces of composite decking to wrap the exposed bad decking - top and exposed side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0249.jpg (697.8 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-17-2017, 06:48 AM   #14

The above looks to be a pretty good solution. If I was going to do it that way, I'd find someone with a table saw and rip the wood where it'd mount flat going "downhill".

Consider yourself lucky it's just one board wide. I have a 12' x 42' deck that needs the wood replaced. The rest of the deck is under roof and in perfect condition. I do such projects 4-5 boards at a time--to ration out the "hard work" over a week's time.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks, everyone.
As usual, some great advice. I believe I'll combine them by sealing the existing board ends and then covering them to prevent further weather damage.
Old 04-25-2017, 02:51 PM   #16

Sounds like a 4-5 beer honey-do project....

1. Seal top of boards - have a beer
2. Seal end of boards - have a beer
3. Cover top of bards * - have a beer
4. Cover ends of boards -have a beer
*If you bevel (per Sengsational) the top cover to direct rain away, add an additional beer