Declined for a Walmart Credit Card - possible scam?

Interesting how some folks think this has anything significant to do with Walmart........

Yeah, that's a good point. Probably not Walmart, in this case. But their online presence still sucks.

About once per year, I apply for a credit card just to test my frozen credit. I get denied with an explanation. They always want me to thaw my credit first. I never bite.

Perhaps your credit is frozen?

We buy most household items and grocery dry goods there. Usually pay with the Citi 2% M/C, so the extra 1% would be trivial, amounting to maybe $25 a year. (Plus, there was supposed to be $25 off your first order using the card).

Now I'm just angry about the hard inquiry.

Anethyst, how often would someone shop at Walmart? Those would be the only purchases where you'd get the 3%.

About once per year, I apply for a credit card just to test my frozen credit. I get denied with an explanation. They always want me to thaw my credit first. I never bite.

Perhaps your credit is frozen?

DW was buying some airline tickets and was offered a $200 credit and miles for applying for an AMEX card. Knowing both of us have our credit frozen I told her to knock herself out. As further insurance I told her to be sure and list me as retired with little income. Naturally it was not instantly approved but required further review. I thought I was home free. Not so fast, the next morning I got an email that my new card was on its way.

All I can figure is that since I already had an AMEX card from a hotel rewards program they used the existing relationship to bypass the frozen credit. Another interesting tidbit is that my new card has a much higher limit than my other AMEX card I've had for nearly 20 years. A few months ago I tried to get the limit raised but was denied. :facepalm:

Having already taken the hard hit I'll keep it and see how it works out prior to the $95 annual fee next year. With an increase in travel planned it may pay for itself in baggage fees. Or not.

Having already taken the hard hit I'll keep it and see how it works out prior to the $95 annual fee next year. With an increase in travel planned it may pay for itself in baggage fees. Or not.

I have an Amex card that has a $95 fee. I usually receive over a $1000 in cash back per year. I'm already over $800 for this year so far....

Update: The "Reason"

Here is the email we each received. TL:DR the bank "could not verify your identity." Yet...to read the email, I had to enter SSN, DOB, and Zip Code, so we must've provided correct info.

Just bizaare. Since I don't care to incur any more hard-inquiry dings on our credit, I won't apply for a Walmart CC again. The few extra dollars are not worth it.

Synchrony Bank has received your request for a WALMART credit account.
To protect your identity, we checked credit bureau information and other data sources to verify
information on your application. These databases may include, but are not limited to, public records,
phone directories, or social security databases. We checked the following items of information:
Social Security Number
Phone
Address
Additionally, our customer service agent might have also asked you questions to verify your identity.
Regretfully, based on results of these checks, we are unable to confirm your identity with enough
confidence to approve your application at this time.
Thank you for your application. If you have any questions on this letter or our decision to decline your
application, please write us at the address below:

They must think you're not their target customer.
Put on some flipflops, pajama bottoms, and a wife beater and go down there and convince them you belong!
People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart : People Of Walmart

I know you mean this as a joke but in this day and age one would think that the term "wife beater" would be on the do not use this term list. Nothing funny about implying that Walmart shoppers or T-shirt wearers beat women.

Doesn't sound like a scam, sounds like Synchrony Bank. (Not a fan.) Sounds like the info not verified was the cell phone number. Probably the application was flagged at that point, and the dropping of the phone call during the application process probably didn't help. The clerks taking the info really don't care.

BTW, I'm a suspicious character too. I can't log into the SS website to calculate my retirement numbers. Seems I'm not me.

I know you mean this as a joke but in this day and age one would think that the term "wife beater" would be on the do not use this term list. Nothing funny about implying that Walmart shoppers or T-shirt wearers beat women.

+1
We must be PC in all thoughts at all times.

If walmart declined me I would decline walmart.

"Wife beater" is a term for a particular style of t-shirt and does not apply to Walmart shoppers as a group.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-tank-top-undershirts-called-wife-beaters

Thanks! That link eventually led to what I always assumed to be the origin of that phrase:

main-qimg-2555027f2ec0f2933e954bebea7d4aea.webp

There are other theories on that thread, but this is this image always comes to my mind when I hear that phrase, so this is the one I choose to believe.

Back
Top Bottom