Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-03-2015, 03:18 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbata View Post
Sorry if off topic:

Went to my mom's house to get it ready to sell. The only thing I took from her home was a picture of me when I was 3 years old. (Mom always wrote the ages on back of the pictures).

While I looked at the picture (this was ~4 months ago), I started to remember vivid details of what happened when picture was taken. Nothing special, it was done by a professional photographer, but I remember climbing up on the counter to get my picture taken.

Now mind you, this was 57 years ago. Today, I'm in my closet and I pulled out a pair of my shoes to show my wife. I said to her, "you know why I like these shoes?", "these are the same style of shoes that I wore in that picture". Just realized that today.
What a great memory! Thanks for sharing that.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 03:35 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
Same here. I keep telling them "you'll wish you still had that 20 years from now" and they just roll their eyes.

We're planning to downsize in ~3 years, so are getting ready to have garage sale #1. It absolutely makes me sick to think of how much $$$ I spent on all this stuff now sitting in our garage with $1 or $5 price stickers on it. I hope we're able to retain this sick feeling for the next few years as we pare down.
After 3 years of de-cluttering (in hopes of future downsizing), and after mega-garage sales #1 and #2, I've developed a serious aversion to shopping for ANYTHING. I just don't want more stuff coming into this house.

(I swear that stuff just reproduces in dark corners......)

Old 04-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
(I swear that stuff just reproduces in dark corners......)

I recall reading a short story about a scientist who finally determined that coat hangers did in fact reproduce in dark closets. Just before he was to publish his findings, he was found, strangled in a closet, by coat hangers.

So you may want to keep that discovery to yourself....
Old 04-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I recall reading a short story about a scientist who finally determined that coat hangers did in fact reproduce in dark closets. Just before he was to publish his findings, he was found, strangled in a closet, by coat hangers.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Old 04-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

You've got to be remembering: "Or All the Seas with Oysters" (1958) by Avram Davidson. I liked that story. May have to pull it off the shelves tonight.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:12 PM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That was a great story! Or All the Seas with Oysters. Way too creepy for my young mind when I read it. Still have a slight fear of closets and bikes.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:14 PM   #47

Speculative Fiction geeks of the world unite.

Old 04-03-2015, 05:32 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I try to toss, recycle or give away 5 things every day. Even if it is just extra pens, pencils or small things. .
That is a great mindset. I was pushed to a similar mindset one day as I was speaking with a person I did not know on the phone. I was taking down information, and my pen stopped working. I mentioned that and said I have to get a new one, and to hold on for a second. The other party said something to the effect of 'did you put that pen back in the drawer' and I said yes, and she said 'throw it away right now. You will never use that again and it will just clutter the house'. That was so correct that I took it to heart on many other useless items.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:49 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I recall reading a short story about a scientist who finally determined that coat hangers did in fact reproduce in dark closets.
There is actually a whole life cycle involved. The paperclips in your desk drawer are the larval stage of the mature coat hangers. You have probably noticed that the paperclips disappear in the same proportion, while the coat hangers increase in number.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:27 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I brought a whole bunch of stuff from work - which didn't exactly thrill my wife! Even had projects & papers from when I was going to college. Figured it was about time to get rid of them.

So currently have about 4 boxes of stuff plus three briefcases to take over to Goodwill.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Has anyone tried paper log makers? We go through a lot of firewood in our backyard fire pit.

I was thinking that would be a good use for the paper from cleaning out the office. I see there also is a product called leaf log makers.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:31 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylatedollarshort View Post
Has anyone tried paper log makers? We go through a lot of firewood in our backyard fire pit.

I was thinking that would be a good use for the paper from cleaning out the office. I see there also is a product called leaf log makers.
I looked into the paper log makers for the same reason, but between having to shred the paper, soak it for a few days, press the bricks (the easy part), then drying them for a week or so, it just wasn't worth it to me. I don't have enough paper to make it worthwhile. If I was still in the office and could take the shredder paper, maybe. But not with the few boxes of paper I have at home.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:41 PM   #53

Quote:

Were they wood or wire?
Graduate, The -- (Movie Clip) Wood or Wire?
Old 04-04-2015, 05:10 PM   #54

Quote:

Yes, DH and I used one of these when we were first married; it made firewood go twice as far/burn about twice as long. We made ours out of old newspapers.
Old 04-04-2015, 05:12 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I looked into the paper log makers for the same reason, but between having to shred the paper, soak it for a few days, press the bricks (the easy part), then drying them for a week or so, it just wasn't worth it to me. I don't have enough paper to make it worthwhile. If I was still in the office and could take the shredder paper, maybe. But not with the few boxes of paper I have at home.
The one we used simply rolled up the papers as is, no shredding or soaking required.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:16 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Disposing stuff through garage sales: Not my cup of tea. Just too much time to collect the stuff until I have enough, tag it, advertise, hope there's no rain, then sit there all day and end up with a few bucks for my efforts, and still have most of the junk I started with (regardless of the price I set, so it seems).
Old 04-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LitGal View Post
The one we used simply rolled up the papers as is, no shredding or soaking required.
My uncle used to have one like that for newspapers, but I don't think it would work for office paper. Even when I throw that stuff directly into a campfire it doesn't burn completely unless I do one or two pages at a time.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:33 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
My uncle used to have one like that for newspapers, but I don't think it would work for office paper. Even when I throw that stuff directly into a campfire it doesn't burn completely unless I do one or two pages at a time.
We never tried recycling office paper with the log roller, so I'm not sure what our outcome would have been.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:29 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I am going to buy a paper log maker from Amazon and give it a try. I like finding self sufficiency ideas we can implement while still living in an urban area. Chopping firewood on the back forty is out, but we do get a lot of junk mail.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 12:49 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am going to buy a paper log maker from Amazon and give it a try. I like finding self sufficiency ideas we can implement while still living in an urban area. Chopping firewood on the back forty is out, but we do get a lot of junk mail.
Firewood logs are cylindrical because that's the way the tree grows, it's not necessarily the ideal shape for using wood as fuel. I've always wondered if rolling paper into cylindrical shapes really changes the burning characteristics in a favorable way, or if it is just marketing ("Make your own logs!"). Paper tends to burn "dirty", but I'd imagine there's some way to optimize the shape of it (surface to volume ratio, etc) to make it more suitable for home heating while also making use of the "flat stacking" format in which we tend to store waste paper.