Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Decluttering links
Old 04-30-2004, 04:12 PM   #21

The guy I really admire is Jason Kidd. He played for
the Mavs the whole time I was in Dallas. I am not a
big NBA fan, but I love to watch Kidd. What a player!

John Galt
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2004, 06:59 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Things I've bought for myself I have no problem getting rid of, but those given to me by my family I have a difficult time parting with.
Same here! Over the weekend we had a yard sale. Four hours later I had $139 but I still have at least half of the stuff!

My mother calls and says "You didnt sell those maple headboards I gave you 15 years ago, did you?

BUM
Old 05-18-2004, 04:42 PM   #23

I regularly wander the house looking for items to sell.
Having "stuff" lying around unused is irksome, to say the
least. It doesn't matter if it's $20 ,or $2,000. If it's
not used it's gone. The exception is sentimental
stuff which I've mentioned previously.

John Galt
Old 08-17-2004, 05:06 AM   #24

Hello John Galt, fancy meeting you here!

I agree with you on the divorce thing.. Ended up with one suitcase of clothes and nothing else following mine.. Well, except the important thing - my golf clubs..
Old 08-18-2004, 04:01 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

I don't like clutter...so I de-clutter often. My bf on the other hand is a pack rat. He probably has 6 computers in various stages and models, a couple of printers/scanners that don't work anymore and who knows how many electronic parts, cables etc. He also has hundreds of cd's! :

Of course suggesting parting with them is equivalent to suggesting him to cut off his right arm. He would NOT part with them. Our den looks like a computer and music store...

Good thing only one of us is a pack rat. I can't imagine how packed the tiny condo will be if both of us are pack rats.

Jane
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 07:16 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The true pack rat first takes over your den, then your spare bedroom, then the garage, and then begins renting external storage.

The final stage comes when the stuff becomes so old that he opens a museum and charges admission for people to see his hoard.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 03:36 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The final stage comes when the stuff becomes so old that he opens a museum and charges admission for people to see his hoard.
Great idea! I shall suggest it to him. Among his "treasures", there is his first computer (commodore or something? I have no idea). How much do you think we can charge people to view that? There is also old speakers he made himself during high school, we can call them "vintage" can't we?

Jane
Old 08-19-2004, 06:37 AM   #28

Hello Jane. The poor guy needs help. I doubt even my
wife would hang onto stuff like that. Maybe though

John Galt
Old 08-19-2004, 09:37 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Sometimes I wonder if it was his upbringing. His mother is a pack rat too. His parents basement and garage was full of stuff. They seem to never throw out anything. His mom even still has old clothes, books and knic-knacks that used to belong to her 2 grown boys (who moved out long time ago).

Last Christmas my bf's mom gave me this pink bath robe that she used to wear when she was a teenage. That makes it 30+ years old (she gave me other things also). It was neon PINK. I wore it during my stay at her house that Christmas and then I promptly donated it to Salvation Army. I already have a nice bathrobe and pink is not my colour (I know, I know, I am mean, am I not? I'll burn in hell ).

Jane
Old 08-21-2004, 07:19 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Get TH to tell you how much the old computer(s) would bring on eBay (or look it up yourself); see if that would change his mind. Of course, that money has to be invested, not used to buy more CD's!

If his pack-ratting can be confined to one room, you're in luck. My ex filled our back yard when he was suddenly evicted from his rental storage (they were selling the house and the barn had to be emptied). Eventually we were sent a warning for storing junk on the property!

I got rid of THAT clutter in the divorce!

Anne
trumpeting_angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2004, 09:51 AM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

SOMETIMES the really old ones can bring a few bucks if they were something special.

I've had a few that were either still interesting to some cliquey folks (atari 800's, atari ST's) and some that were interesting from a historical perspective and hard to find intact (imsai's, altairs, original IBM PC's, etc).

However unless they're in original and working condition, and include software and manuals (which mine did!), they wont fetch as much.

Oh yeah, and as long as someone doesnt throw them out on you... :P
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 04:51 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Even if the oldest computers are up and running with all software intact, don't think I can persuade him to part with them. He is a computer geek and I think all these stuff worth more to him than the money. He talks about putting LINUX on one of them etc. He has plans for them!

I won't throw these stuff away without his permission of course. I am not that heartless. :

Jane
Old 08-27-2004, 06:05 AM   #33

This is an issue my spouse and I may never resolve.
She hangs onto all manner of absolute junk,
usable or not. Now, I know with some folks this
would be endearing. I, on the other hand, am always
alert for ways to eliminate "stuff". Usually by turning it into cash, but also by tossing it out if I can't "make a buck". Several times I have gotten in a bit of trouble
by disposing of some absolutely ghastly object, only
to find myself berated later. Neither of us is likely to change our ways.

John Galt
Old 08-27-2004, 08:04 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

Send a message via ICQ to Marshac Send a message via AIM to Marshac Send a message via Yahoo to Marshac

I have a Commodore VIC-20 (and the orrig box!), a Commodore 64, and a Mac SE in my "old computer" collection.... I would LOVE to get a Mac 128k, but that just doesn't seem to be in the cards..... the Commodores are my favorite, and supposedly there are plans on the internet for an ethernet interface for the C64.... that would be awesome since I could set it up as a webserver.... to 99.9% of the population that would sound amazingly dumb, but to a hardcore geek.... the thought of a C64 serving up webpages makes us feel all warm and fuzzy....
Marshac is offline   Reply With Quote