Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Deliveries (Fedex, UPS, USPO)
Old 12-23-2011, 10:05 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Deliveries (Fedex, UPS, USPO)

By now you must have seen the video captured by webcam that shows the Fedex guy tossing a monitor over the fence.

Just had my own LOL moment. USPO truck drives up, and guy walks up to our front step, and tosses a medium-size priority box onto the mat. I started to walk to the door, and decided to watch further. He got in his truck, and started it up. Then sat for a few minutes, and took off down the street, with no additional stops.

Why the regular mail carrier didn't deliver this, I can only guess. I am also curious to see how wife reacts when she opens the package and we discover what all the little jingly sounds are.

target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2011, 10:14 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Here, the USPS package delivery trucks seem to be working really hard and all the packages I have received were delivered in perfect condition. I guess their service varies by location.

Like many others (according to a news story I just read), my normal mail delivery has changed to about 7 PM, well after dark, during the past few months. With the crime rate here, I don't really like hearing someone fumbling around at my front door after dark. But it is what it is.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, mine has been pretty good too. They typically leave packages behind a flower pot on the stoop, bang loudly on the door and walk a way. They don't wait for you to answer but I don't see that it matters -- they are going to leave the package if you aren't home anyway.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:07 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

So many more places offered free shipping this year that we ordered a lot more online. Just now a huge box was dropped off on our porch.

I see that shipping is way up over last year (I guess we ordered too much): UPS, FedEx See Significant Increases In Shipping Volume Compared To Last Year
Old 12-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I see that shipping is way up over last year (I guess we ordered too much): UPS, FedEx See Significant Increases In Shipping Volume Compared To Last Year
My UPS delivery guy (we're best buds ) told me yesterday they were so busy all the delivery guys were scheduled to work half day on Saturday, something he said was almost unheard of.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

As of last week, I discovered that I could actually legitimately use an iPad for patient care. Finally, a perfectly good reason to buy one on my business account! Through my professional association, I ordered the iPad 2, 64GB with a discounted data plan. It just arrived right to my condo via Purolator, cold, but in perfect condition.

Now the fun starts!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Ok, here is a good UPS report. Truck stopped in front of house, driver stayed in truck, and a runner literally ran to the door with my cool stuff. He placed the box on the mat, and ran back to the truck. I managed to unlock the door and yell a "thank you."
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:17 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Most of my packages seem to come by UPS, never have had any issues at all. Since retiring a few years ago, I have gotten to know the UPS guy quite well, and his wife is a FedEx driver. My pup really loves to see/hear the UPS truck since he always gets a treat.
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Ok, here is a good UPS report. Truck stopped in front of house, driver stayed in truck, and a runner literally ran to the door with my cool stuff. He placed the box on the mat, and ran back to the truck. I managed to unlock the door and yell a "thank you."
They do that around here this time of year too. They hire temp workers for $9.50/hr to do all the work while the driver just drives and gets his nearly $30/hr.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

For some reason this year for the past few months FedEx and UPS are delivering our packages ( and others I talk to) to the post office. We live in a rural area so maybe it's a new procedure. I've know this UPS man for several years and always have a "Christmas" card for him, hhhhhmmmmmm.
Dancer373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:35 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I've never had an issue (breakage) with any of them in my life, I suspect the video is very much the unfortunate exception and undeserved 'publicity.'

It is interesting that UPS and FedEx folks often run when making deliveries, never seen USPS do that though their structure is necessarily different as they handle a lot other than packages.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh
As of last week, I discovered that I could actually legitimately use an iPad for patient care. Finally, a perfectly good reason to buy one on my business account! Through my professional association, I ordered the iPad 2, 64GB with a discounted data plan. It just arrived right to my condo via Purolator, cold, but in perfect condition.

Now the fun starts!
Back online ...... From the ER.org iPad app!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:54 PM   #13
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Back online ...... From the ER.org iPad app!
Good for you! I'm almost there, will probably have one early next week. In other forums I've seen font problems when posting from an iPad. You don't seem to be having any.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:15 PM   #14
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancer373 View Post
For some reason this year for the past few months FedEx and UPS are delivering our packages ( and others I talk to) to the post office. We live in a rural area so maybe it's a new procedure. I've know this UPS man for several years and always have a "Christmas" card for him, hhhhhmmmmmm.
That is the new lowest level of service provided. I believe its called basic shipping. It costs less than delivery of packages to your door by the shipper.
It appears that if you live in remote areas the USPS is used but in urban areas, because there is enough other business that the trucks need to run by most addresses every day, UPS delivers. Note that if you pick expedited shipping (additional fee) UPS delivers. Now if you have the cluster style mailbox, then the USPS package gets in a locker until you pick it up.
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've recently had shipments come via FedEx SmartPost and UPS Mail Innovations. Both of these start with the big shipper and end with your local USPS mailman. Both of these were the cheap option in shipping but the amount of time involved was disappointing. I'm not in a remote area, I'm in a suburb of a mid-sized city.

My order from Woot® : One Day, One Deal took 3 days to get sent, another 5 in the FedEx system and then another couple of days in the USPS sytem. My order from Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! took a full week from order through UPS and then my local USPS. This was unusual for NewEgg as they ship super quick and we have a joke that by the time you get the tracking number it's being delivered the next day.

But overall, unless it's something I need right away, I'm willing to save on shipping costs and be patient.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:54 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I thought it was funny that the USPS tracking showed an estimated delivery of Dec 21 even though it had still not been delivered as of the morning of Dec 23. It made it, though.