Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
Of course, my life is much too busy full to spend it making something (at the most) marginally "better." Let "sleeping dogs lie" says I.
From the looks of your screen shot you should probably change that quote to let "a large kennel full of sleeping dogs lie"...

How long does it take for everything to come up when you reboot?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
I'm far from a 'computer tech pro' but have been using Firefox for years on three PC's using XP, Vista, etc., and rarely experience any problems - never any hardware related.
However, I will admit that after switching from Internet Explorer I have become much less skilled at crash recovery techniques....
I've been trying to remember how many security vulnerabilities and bug fixes I've had to install with Firefox... oh, that's right, zero!

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:44 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How long does it take for everything to come up when you reboot?
Eh.. that is a good point. A long time... measured in minutes.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:45 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I've been trying to remember how many security vulnerabilities and bug fixes I've had to install with Firefox... oh, that's right, zero!
Well, that would explain the "crashes."
Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

delete - already covered by others
Old 03-16-2010, 11:31 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Diagnosis: Vista.
Take one upgrade to Windows 7 and call me in the morning.
As RonBoyd said, no, at least not for the reason of solving this problem.

Windows 7 is certainly better than Vista, but countless people run Vista as a stable OS with the same applications orchid uses. To simply advise someone to fork out over $100 to upgrade their OS in a shotgun approach to solving the problem isn't good advice IMO.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:47 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
As RonBoyd said, no, at least not for the reason of solving this problem.

Windows 7 is certainly better than Vista, but countless people run Vista as a stable OS with the same applications orchid uses. To simply advise someone to fork out over $100 to upgrade their OS in a shotgun approach to solving the problem isn't good advice IMO.
Now, that's the way I meant to say it.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:01 PM   #28
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
here is a screen shot of the machine I am on now (the others are much more cluttered):
Every time I see a screenshot I can't resist looking it over with some faint hope there will be some folder called "hot tranny pics" or similar amusing item accidentally left on the desktop.

Your desktop appears all clear from this, nice work.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:24 PM   #29
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Every time I see a screenshot I can't resist looking it over with some faint hope there will be some folder called "hot tranny pics" or similar amusing item accidentally left on the desktop.

Your desktop appears all clear from this, nice work.
Looks like you missed the "TrophyWife.JPG"

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:39 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Looks like you missed the "TrophyWife.JPG"

Ah, shucks. I was saving that:

Trophy Wife.JPG
Old 03-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #31
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Really cute.
Old 03-23-2010, 06:09 AM   #32
Confused about dryer sheets

Your best idea is a super cool idea. I would have opted for the same route if I were at your position. However, I have never faced irate behavior from Dell staff regarding PC repair.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:20 AM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Orchidflower, I share your frustration over computers. I also have a Dell computer and mine is working fine right now. However, McAfee stated that my computer was not fully protected last week. I do all of my banking online, along with my investments. I could picture hackers getting into my bank accounts and 401Ks and TSP. I could not even get to the Fix my computer button on the McAfee site. It would just come up with a big white box with nothing in it, when I pushed the McAfee button. I went to the McAfee site and wrote down the instructions on how to fix it. I could get so far, but could never find the Applications Data icon or button. I had read that it could be in Hidden Files, but could not find my Hidden Files. I finally called McAfee and went round and round with them. They said this was a technical issue with my computer and it would be a charged call. I told them that I had already bought their program that was supposed to protect my computer and why did I have to pay again. After much frustration and 4 1/2 hours later, they fixed my computer, so that it was finally protected again. I think that they were as sick of me as I was of the problem. The person asked me if she could take control of my computer and she deleted 2 different security programs that were on my computer and said they could interfere with McAfee security. She deleted and reinstalled the McAfee security program. I did see where she found the Applications data and Hidden Files, but she was going so fast, I still don't know where they are at. I am embarrassed to admit, but I think that they finally fixed it without charge, because I started crying. I can't remember the last time that I cried, but I will cry when I get so, so frustrated and I was at that point. I definitely did not cry to get their sympathy and was in the process of hanging up the phone when she said, listen do not hang up the phone, I will help you. I almost hung up because I was so embarrassed and wanted to get myself under control. I am seriously considering buying an Apple computer, when my computer goes. My DD and her spouse have Apple laptops and an Apple desktop computer and I don't think that they have ever had their computer crash and don't have to worry about hacker attacks so much either. My son gave me a wireless Microsoft mouse a couple of Christmas ago and I have not been able to get it to install on my computer. My son-in-law tried to get it installed and was not able to either. He was in a hurry at the time. He later asked me if he could use it on his Apple computer as he needed an extra mouse to play a video game with his brother and it was plug and play on his computer. From what I have heard and read, they seem to be much more user friendly and I think that I will pay the extra money, since I am not a techie person and need the friendliest computer that I can get. Life is too short.