Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Dell laptop OS transfer?
Old 09-22-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dell laptop OS transfer?

We currently own an older Dell Inspiron laptop (forgot the model number) that has Windows XP installed. The laptop is physically getting worn out (one key cover won't stay on, sound plug connection is shorting, etc.), so we are looking for a replacement.

I would like to purchase another Inspiron laptop, but they only come with Windows Vista. Can the Windows XP license on our older laptop be transferred to a new laptop? I recall reading something about the Dell OS licenses being machine/BIOS dependent, so my first guess would be no.
statsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #2

Call MS 1-800 Number and ask. I am pretty sure if you tell them you will remove it from the old machine to install on the new machine they will issue you a ID to make it legal.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #3

According to a poster on Dell's forum, the version of Windows XP installed on the laptop is OEM, meaning it can only be used on that laptop and cannot be transferred.

I guess I will check out our local electronic stores to see if one of their in-store laptops (Toshiba, Sony, HP) has Windows XP Pro installed.
Old 09-22-2008, 10:55 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

OEM copies of microsoft operating systems are specific to the machine they're installed on and cant be transferred. If you bought a full XP license as a separate item, then it can be transferred.

But if its the OS that dell installed and its an OEM version, thats a no-go.

You can buy a full copy of XP and install that on your new machine, and then transfer it as often as you like.

That having been said, vista isnt really that bad. I hated it when it first came out but since SP1 its been quite solid.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
That having been said, vista isnt really that bad. I hated it when it first came out but since SP1 its been quite solid.
Will I run into any issues using Vista SP1 on a home network where everything else is running XP Pro SP3?
Old 09-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I wouldnt think so. We have one vista laptop, an XP SP3 laptop and a desktop with XP SP3. Doesnt seem to be any sort of problems.

Only thing I've heard of being an interoperability issue is that by default vista does some QOS and IPV6 stuff and one or the other may confuse some older, off brand routers. But you can simply deselect those in the network setup if thats an issue.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Will I run into any issues using Vista SP1 on a home network where everything else is running XP Pro SP3?
When I changed over to Vista I had to get a new printer because my old printer wasn't Vista compatible. Also, I had to get a new external hard drive for the same reason but then found that even though the new drive said it was "vista compatible" it wouldn't automatically transfer the files over which is why I bought the thing. I had to transfer the files manually every time I wanted to save them. I ended up just signing up for an online storage service which would automatically save all changed files and I didn't have to remember to save them externally.

This was about 6 months after Vista came out so these problems may have been resolved by now.

It probably won't affect your networking capability among computers.

Also, you may want to consider getting the transfer cord. I can't remember the exact name of it, but it costs about $50 and enables you to transfer all your files from your SP machine to your Vista one really quickly and easily. I believe it retains all your inbox addresses, settings, etc. too. I just remember it made things really, really easy when transferring from the XP to Vista PC.
Red Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 08:25 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

There is that. Some OS intrinsic applications like old backup tools and devices with old drivers may not run under vista and you may have to pay for newer s/w or a newer device.

A lot of incompatibilities were fixed by SP1 and a lot of companies finally got vista compatible versions of s/w out the door.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 AM   #9

Thanks for the information about Vista. I have one more question. I checked Microsoft's web site, but couldn't locate the specific information I was looking for.

I purchased XP Pro over XP Home primarily for the extra security features (user groups) and Remote Desktop, which allows me to update my daughter's PC without the need to enter her space room.

Which versions of Vista will not support these capabilities? I do not wish to purchase a "Home XP" version of Vista, if that makes any sense.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Windows Vista: Compare editions

Do note that according to this chart you may only have more fun with your computer if you buy vista premium or ultimate. If you buy basic or business, you're going to have to have a bad to middling time and suck it up.

Looks like you need Business or Ultimate to be == to xp pro.

Not sure which 'user groups' feature you needed that was in Pro and not in Home...group policies? The remote control capabilities can be had with free add ons like VNC.

In any case I dont recommend vista basic. You can usually get premium for just a few bucks more than basic and there are a ton of features in premium vs basic.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:56 AM   #11

Sorry if this a bit off topic but the Business and Ultimate versions of Vista actually have a pretty good backup and encryption system built in where the lesser versions do not. You can do a full image backup at will and automatic file backups on schedule and in the background.