Dell Laptop Price Projections

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I built and almost purchased a Dell laptop (1505 for $720), but had trouble clicking the final button. My computer is old and slow (Pention 500 Mhz) but now that I'm retired I'm mostly just browsing the web and doing email. So I'm still deciding whether to get a one now or later.

Any ideas about how Christmas and Vista will affect prices in the coming months?

Yeah, my 5 YO machine is suggesting it wants a replacement/mate. How long do I have to wait before the worst of the Vista bugs are fixed?

brewer12345 said:
Yeah, my 5 YO machine is suggesting it wants a replacement/mate. How long do I have to wait before the worst of the Vista bugs are fixed?

Until Service Pack 1 is released. Probably a few months to a year.

BigMoneyJim said:
Until Service Pack 1 is released. Probably a few months to a year.

Agree! - Don't be a Bug Tester! - Save yourself some grief.

I think most manufacturers are offering "free upgrade to Vista" with current machines. You could wait for the bugs to be ironed out before upgrading.

I just used my, 5 year old, free XP upgrade on an old ME machine to make a music server. For the audio inclined - if you rip tracks to iTunes using Apple Lossless format , instead of MP3 or WMA, and then take a digital feed (I am using a Xitel connector) to a decent pre-amp, one with a good DAC (digital analogue converter) you get very good sound to your hifi. I am loooking to extend this to a wireless music server......................sorry now I am rambling and hi-jacking :p :-X

OK, I just ordered the 1505 refurbished. Total with tax: $639.70 instead of $780, plus this one has some upgrades. Probably saved $200. Thanks again for the tip.

I found you can get a HUGE discount on Dell PCs thru the Army and Airforce Exchange (PX/BX) at www.aafes.com

Of course you need to be retired, active or reserve status in the military. Or know someone that is...

Quick note to add:

For what it's worth -
We had our computer guy here yesterday fixing dd's laptop. He is beta testing the Vista - said it is a HUGE hog of ram etc. and will slow down even the newest machines coming out.

Why can't MS do upgrades to the operating system without making everything worse on your computer?

Have a great day!

Jane :)

My advice depends on whether or not you want Vista. Manufacturers are clearing inventory to make room for the new Vista machines, so you can probably get better deals now than you will once the bloatware is released. However, given the fact that operating system upgrades of PCs can run the gamut from smooth as silk to nightmare from >:D I'd avoid going the upgrade route and wait for an OEM Vista machine if that is what you want.

Back
Top Bottom