Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Deluged with Rolex and Cartier advertisements...
Old 05-27-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Deluged with Rolex and Cartier advertisements...

Seems like everyday I am seeing Rolex and Cartier watch advertisements. I was always inclined to think -if you want to drop $14,000 dollars for a watch that's your business. The advertisements now say you can finance your Rolex and they tout what a great deal it is. Buying jewelry on time -- something about that feels so terribly wrong.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking although Rolls Royce probably also offers financing for their cars...
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2017, 01:16 PM   #2

Other than some tasteful albeit a few expensive pieces for DW, never have seen the allure of jewelry, and that's all a Rolex is. I've been debating about actually acquiring my first watch since phones were showing time, and a Timex would certainly do it. However, splurged on the Apple watch, being afraid I'd regret it as a gimmick. After a few days I'm still learning features, and actually think it was worth the $400. Fun toy. Can even choose a Mickey or Minnie Mouse face! Now that's value!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have had 3 Rolex Watches in my Life, my wife has had 2. Currently I have a Sub and she has an oyster ladies, the ones we have sold in the past to make room and help fund the ones we have now, we sold for around 35-45% more than what we paid for them New.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:59 PM   #4

I have no desire for a Rolex or other expensive watch but if I did I would be very careful where I bought it. There are so many fake Rolex's out there I would only buy from a reputable dealer and would be very leery of any unsolicited ads received.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I could never buy a Rolex, as I would never know if I was getting a fake.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:06 PM   #6

Have a good friend who's in financial business and accompanied me and DW on business trip to NY. He'd done ALL the research on fake vs real Rolex's and spent $2-300 on one on Canal St he KNEW was real. It wasn't.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Have a good friend who's in financial business and accompanied me and DW on business trip to NY. He'd done ALL the research on fake vs real Rolex's and spent $2-300 on one on Canal St he KNEW was real. It wasn't.
i could have gotten him the same one for 60 bucks,lol.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 02:53 PM   #8

We were very amused when spending a week in Switzerland a couple of months ago. After a while we started trying to spot stores NOT selling Swiss watches. There didn't seem to be too many.
Old 05-27-2017, 02:55 PM   #9

I don't even wear jewelry now. If I have to pay to wear something it wouldn't be a Rolex.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #10

Bought one for my ex-wife once, I prefer Breitling myself. Currently have several sitting in my draw as I stopped wearing watches more than a few years ago, unless I am wearing a suit. Plan on giving them to my sons, when they get older.
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I own one- I'll admit it. The band and case are the 18K gold and stainless steel version. Bought it used at Dick's Pawn Shop in North Myrtle Beach for $2,300 about 10 years ago and I've paid more than that over the years getting it overhauled (ask me how I know that if you wear it while swimming in chlorinated water regularly and don't have it maintained, the seals leak and you have to replace the guts). It IS real- Rolex has cheerfully serviced it and they won't touch fakes.

I don't know why I wanted one but I always have. It doesn't matter if I'm wearing ratty shorts and a T-shirt from my collection of freebies, I still feel somewhat well-dressed.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I also own a Rolex that was a gift from DW a few years ago. I like it very much and will pass it down to my son when I'm gone, just like DW will pass down jewelry I have given her over the years. I think she paid around $9200, so it's not a high end model. But since it was a gift from her I cherish it.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Seems like everyday I am seeing Rolex and Cartier watch advertisements. I was always inclined to think -if you want to drop $14,000 dollars for a watch that's your business. The advertisements now say you can finance your Rolex and they tout what a great deal it is. Buying jewelry on time -- something about that feels so terribly wrong.

I could be wrong but I'm thinking although Rolls Royce probably also offers financing for their cars...
That did it! Now they are showing up on ER.org!!!
Old 05-27-2017, 03:59 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
No fair!!! I only have an ad from Wal-Mart.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #15

Quote:
I figured when the OP said he's getting a bunch of ads, that he or someone on his computer probably searched for one or even just a watch. It's creepy how the adds pop up in anticipation of what you might like to buy.
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:43 PM   #16

I have nothing but Bora Bora hotels for ads.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

I'm seeing an ad for kitty litter. Don't have a cat, never had a cat, 100 percent dog person, never looked up cat anything. Google ads, you're killing me!
Old 05-27-2017, 05:00 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Well I'm seeing Samuel's Jewelers with some super fancy diamond ring.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:35 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well I'm seeing Samuel's Jewelers with some super fancy diamond ring.
Pretty cool! As for me, I've moved up in the world. Instead of Wal-Mart, I'm seeing an ad for Lowe's (building supplies).

Oh wait! Now I have an ad for pre-owned watches.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:56 PM   #20

I sport a Timex weekender, with cloth replaceable bands ... quite spiffy if I do say so myself.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote