Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Who will become the democratic nominee?
Hillary Clinton 16 27.59%
Barack Obama 42 72.41%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Democratic Nominee Prediction
Old 03-26-2008, 12:11 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Democratic Nominee Prediction

This poll is not about who you prefer, it's who you think will will.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2008, 12:25 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I get the feeling that Clinton is the "machine" candidate and is more likely to get the backing of the machine. As Obama's momentum faded in Texas and Ohio and likely to lose more steam in PA and elsewhere, and fueled by the Wright and "typical white person" gaffe, the Democrats will use that as a justification that only Hillary can beat John McCain in November, and use carrots and sticks to convince the superdelegates to go that way.

Just my prediction, and worth what you paid for it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
Full time employment: Posting here.

What a shock it will be when Obama goes into the convention with more delegates and when all is said and done Clinton comes out with the nomination. There will be many unhappy and distrusting democrats out there.
mn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
What a shock it will be when Obama goes into the convention with more delegates and when all is said and done Clinton comes out with the nomination. There will be many unhappy and distrusting democrats out there.
Hey, if it was good enough for the general election, it should be good enough for the Deomocratic primary...
Old 03-26-2008, 02:18 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mn54 View Post
Not gonna happen. You cannot stop the Obama you can only hope to contain him.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:22 PM   #6

at first i thought clinton, but now i don't get much of a feel for this at all except that regardless of what candidate runs from which ever direction, this election will be like stepping onto a rug without a non-slip pad under it.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Do not count out Al Gore. No doubt he is out their lurking in the weeds, right next to the iceberg.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:00 PM   #8

With the way the delegates are apportioned (i.e. no winner-take-all primaries), I think it is virtually impossible for Hillary to pass Obama in pledged delegates. The only way she could win the nomination is to pass Obama in total votes (she currently trails by some 600,000), which would give the machine superdelegates maneuvering room to vote for her. I don't believe the superdelegates will be able to vote against Obama, if he has more pledged delegates plus has more total votes.
FIRE'd@51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

My prediction is that Clintons will make sure that their superdelgates have a majority on the credential committees. The committee will in turn come up with a creative compromise that allows the seating of the MI and FL delgates. This will result in a near tie on pledged delgates.

The remaining superdelgate will admire/fear the Clinton's cleverness and she will win on the second ballot.
clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #10

My girl Hillary is feisty and has moxie but I think she is no match for the Obamanator.

Of course she might have a lil shawk and aww left in the old gal.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:27 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
As Obama's momentum faded in Texas and Ohio and likely to lose more steam in PA and elsewhere...
Obama didn't lose any momentum. He is exactly as far ahead in pledged delegates now as he was after Super Tuesday. Don't just eat up the media narrative so easily.
igsoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by igsoy View Post
Obama didn't lose any momentum. He is exactly as far ahead in pledged delegates now as he was after Super Tuesday. Don't just eat up the media narrative so easily.
Momentum is more than delegate count. Losing big states -- even if close in terms of popular vote and delegate count -- is something that matters, especially in states like Ohio and (potentially) Pennsylvania which have a large number of electoral votes and can typically swing either way in any given November.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:20 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I get the feeling that Clinton is the "machine" candidate and is more likely to get the backing of the machine.
So, if true, that Obama is not the machine candidate, and as you suggest, that he won't get the nomination, how much fun will be introduced then, if he decides to run independent and take his backers with him. Think the machine might reconsider at that point, or try to go to general election facing two strong candidates. That would finally get the attention of both parties that they need to get serious about improving their selection process.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:27 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It may not matter too much who winds up being the Dem nominee. It is a year of throw the jerks out.

This year is a vote against incumbents. In the white house... Republicans are the incumbents.

If it is Obama that is nominated... the majority people will vote for Obama. If it is Clinton... then Clinton will be President.

McCain has an uphill battle. He is not very likely to win.

And in a way who wins is not a big issue. We cannot do anything but improve out situation from where we are today. since GWB has been such a complete disappointment and failed at some many levels (he will wear the label of the worst president of the 21st century)... We can't help but do better.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote