Join Early Retirement Today

democratic response to florida insurance crisis
Old 07-03-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

democratic response to florida insurance crisis

http://stormingmad.com

Quote:
During the recent legislative session, the Legislature could have changed the tide and adopted an approach that would have led to a stabilized market and lower premiums.* Instead, they sided against homeowners and* with* insurance companies.* The legislation that passed guarantees increased* premiums* for homeowners* and it allows insurance companies to raise rates without* proper* justification. Worse, the legislation does not bring stability to Florida’s insurance market. At the end of the day, the Legislature* assured you pay more, much more, while insurance companies profit more.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: democratic response to florida insurance crisis
Old 07-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #2

Sounds good to me! -- If people want to live in a hurricane zone, they should have to pay. If the premiums get too high, then other insurance companies can come in and get a piece of the action by offering lower prices.

I think this is what everybody claims they like here. Capitalism.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:22 PM   #3

so what do they want...florida to put caps on rates...which probably would result in insurance companies leaving the state...?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #4

i seem to recall considerable concern several months ago that insurance companies were pulling-out of florida ...
d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:33 PM   #5

ya, the insurance companies are pulling out on our houses, but they have no problem taking our money on our liability, health, automobiles, etc. you know, the easy money.

i can't even imagine what would happen if insurance got to where no one can afford it. what of all the millions of existing mortgages tied to insurance requirements. this country could hardly even handle the exodus of just the population of new orleans while florida is about to become the third largest state.

anyone gotta spare room?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
Old 07-03-2006, 03:40 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I hear Wyoming and the Dakotas are fairly empty/roomy...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
I hear Wyoming and the Dakotas are fairly empty/roomy...
funny. i'd self-insure first.

Old 07-03-2006, 04:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
i can't even imagine what would happen if insurance got to where no one can afford it. what of all the millions of existing mortgages tied to insurance requirements. this country could hardly even handle the exodus of just the population of new orleans while florida is about to become the third largest state.
So in other words, you're saying Florida real estate is nearly worthless, or at the least, it's severely overpriced? I've been saying that all along!

Seriously if there was a mass exodus, there would probably be investors that would swoop in to snap up real estate once goes down 50-90% in price. They would then self-insure (ie - pay cash and have no mortgage).

Interesting question re: mortgage and lack of insurance. My slightly educated guess is that the typical mortgage contract has a clause allowing FL mortgage companies/banks to purchase insurance on their own to cover their collateral, then charge the debtor for the insurance. If the debtor couldn't figure out a way to get insurance, banks probably would eventually. I don't know what happens if/when the FL real estate market drops by 40% in value and half the mortgages are under water (no pun intended).
justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #9

When I opened this thread I thought it was going to be a diatribe about how taxpayers should subsidize Florida hurricane and flood insurance.

Now wouldn't that be fair !

Out where I live (SoCal) we all pay higher fire insurance rates so that people that live in very hazardous fire zones don't have to pay too much.

Every few years a big fire races through one or more of these high-risk zones and burns out all of the houses. These houses then get rebuilt at our expense. Some of the houses have been burned down and rebuilt several times.

Isn't that fair !

I say if you are stupid enough to build in a flood zone, hurricane zone, high risk fire zone then you should pay ALL of the cost to insure your house. It is sad that your house is now gone, but you wanted to live there. It is your problem not mine and I shouldn't have to subsidize it.
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Any time the gummint has tried legislating insurance rates, consumers have genrally been sorry. I hope FL doesn't try that failed strategy.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
I say if you are stupid enough to build in a flood zone, hurricane zone, high risk fire zone then you should pay ALL of the cost to insure your house. It is sad that your house is now gone, but you wanted to live there. It is your problem not mine and I shouldn't have to subsidize it.
that's all very well & good; however, part of the problem here (not that a crystal ball would have made a bit of difference) is that most of the development in florida occured during a 30-year slow hurricane season. and even during the previous strong season, we didn't get five cat 5's passing overhead each year.

it's not as if we saw destruction the likes of san franscisco and then decided to rebuild like them over the same fault line. so when you can point to global warming for all your problems, like we can, i'll better accept your argument that liability shouldn't be spread thin. (besides, we here in south florida have been subsidizing tampa's premiums for years--hi doc.)

Old 07-03-2006, 08:04 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
besides, we here in south florida have been subsidizing tampa's premiums for years--hi doc.)

The only thing you have been subsidizing for Tampa Bay is our hockey team. .

I reckon I'm paying an extra grand a year for insurance. Then again, no state income tax, a 3% cap on annual property tax increases and a glorious lifestyle (when it's not hurricaning), Nature Coast, manatees... hmm.. guess I'll take it.

No way half of Florida can flee north -- they'd never find anyone to buy their houses .

Joking aside, hurricanes suck but, man, there are a lot of offsetting factors here. Like many places.

I always laugh when southern Californians criticize any other region. Been there. Nuf said. Life is good here; alas, more have died in flooding in the mid-Atlantic and NE than did in hurricanes here in the past few years; Arizona is burning, NM is dying of thirst, California is mudsliding or waiting for the "big one," the upper midwest is dodging tornados or blizzards. Wait long enough, your turn will come.

Insurance by definition is about spreading the risk. To those who resent having to pay for "Florida's" or any other region's "stupidity" in favor of eat-what-you-kill, careful what you wish for: your turn will come. One-for-all and all-for-one works for me.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:33 PM   #13

Rich_in_Tampa:

Did that feel good getting your digs in on California ?

Just so you know, For those of us that have earthquake insurance. The premiums are very high and the coverage is very poor.

And nobody is subsidizing our premiums.

You seem to have all of the answers...Who can I spread my risk to ?
MasterBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:45 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa
The only thing you have been subsidizing for Tampa Bay is our hockey team.
You guys have a hockey team?

Next you'll be telling me you have a football team too... :
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 06:52 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Whoa -- easy big guy. It just seemed like it was a case of "people who live in glass houses." Here's why:

Quote:
I say if you are stupid enough to build in a flood zone, hurricane zone, high risk fire zone then you should pay ALL of the cost to insure your house.*
So someone else is "stupid enough" to build in a hazard zone but...

Quote:
For those of us that have earthquake insurance. The premiums are very high and the coverage is very poor.
you are "smart enough" to live in an earthquake zone (or brush fire, or mudslide, etc.) .

YOU pay earthquake insurance, WE pay hurricane and flood insurance, THEY pay higher fire insurance. We all make choices based on risk tolerance, lifestyle, career and family circumstances.

Maybe some insurance type can answer this, but my sense is that while stakeholders do indeed pay extra for their own known special risks, this assessment probably only covers part of the risk, with the rest assumed by general premiums and reinsurance.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 09:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin
Seriously if there was a mass exodus, there would probably be investors that would swoop in to snap up real estate once goes down 50-90% in price...*I don't know what happens if/when the FL real estate market drops by 40% in value and half the mortgages are under water (no pun intended).*
justin goes bargain shopping in south florida. hey, here's one, just n.e. of fort lauderdale, just off i-95, in fact, so close you'll hear the traffic in your living room. and only $319,900. but i gotta warn ya, even at 50% off, the bargain part's debatable.

http://tinyurl.com/qvbra here ya go, swoop on this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg justin\'s bargain.jpg (27.9 KB, 106 views)

Old 07-05-2006, 05:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterBlaster
When I opened this thread I thought it was going to be a diatribe about how taxpayers should subsidize Florida hurricane and flood insurance.

Now wouldn't that be fair !

Out where I live (SoCal) we all pay higher fire insurance rates so that people that live in very hazardous fire zones don't have to pay too much.

Every few years a big fire races through one or more of these high-risk zones and burns out all of the houses. These houses then get rebuilt at our expense. Some of the houses have been burned down and rebuilt several times.

Isn't that fair !

The whole state is a hurricane zone, so who do we spread the risk to? We also have the strictest building codes in the nation to help limit the hurricane damage. Unfortunately the state has had to rule in favor of the insurance companies because of all of the hurricanes. If they don't, the companies would leave. They threatened to after Andrew and every year after we are hit with a major they do the same thing.

I think this is on of the best places to live. The state is so large we have several football teams, a couple baseball teams, plus spring training for several northern teams, at least one hockey team, no state income tax, we are "subsidized" by the world with the Mouse and all of his competitiors in Orlando. We have a diverse political and ethnic climate. The hurricanes tear down old buildings that then have to be replaced by modern, better build building, so the state is self modernizing.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:42 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
The whole state is a hurricane zone, so who do we spread the risk to?* We also have the strictest building codes in the nation to help limit the hurricane damage.* Unfortunately the state has had to rule in favor of the insurance companies because of all of the hurricanes.
The hurricanes tear down old buildings that then have to be replaced by modern, better build building, so the state is self modernizing.
Have you ever checked out the architecture of the Pacific's hurricane/earthquake capital, Guam?

Modern concrete blockhouse. But then they don't have to worry about sinkholes, either.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 09:38 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
The state is so large we have several football teams
I'm not buying it. Name one!

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I'm not buying it.* Name one!

There's one at my local high school.

You thought I ment professional teams. Now that's funny.

Nords--Yup been there. That was the first time I saw houses built of blocks. Man that island was small.