Dennis Hopper Dead at 74

Never understood why someone who has the ability--but more the opportunity that 99.99% of us will never get in a million years to achieve great status, not to mention money--blows alot of their abiity and money on booze and drugs. I'm missing the logic in that one.

However, Hopper was downright creepy, scary in Blue Velvet. Loved him there.

Never understood why someone who has the ability--but more the opportunity that 99.99% of us will never get in a million years to achieve great status, not to mention money--blows alot of their abiity and money on booze and drugs. I'm missing the logic in that one.

("There's no business like show business.")

My meeting with Dennis Hopper

I was a little intimidated because I was one of a handful of critics who hadn’t gone wild over Blue Velvet, a picture in which Hopper played the purely evil Frank Booth. Prior to meeting with Hopper someone had told me that he was upset about the way I’d reviewed Blue Velvet. I figured if Hopper had a bone to pick with me, he wouldn’t be shy about saying so. Reticence was not a word normally applied to Hopper.

Ever since that day, though, I’ve had a soft spot in my heart for a guy who could go so far over the top with a performance, you felt as if the only possible reaction was to look up and wave goodbye.

... from being a rebel who sometimes seemed the indulgent and self-pitying artist to a disciplined guy who survived a business that has killed off lesser men. That’s a whole lot of something, even if we didn’t always know exactly what.

Eh, Hopper was an okay actor and director. I thought Easy Rider pretty much sucked. It seemed like a home movie that a bunch of friends put together one weekend while flush on dope and with a brand new home movie camera that nobody knew how to use. I guess you had to be a teen or twenty something of that era to really get into the message that film was supposed to be sending.

Yeah. Like you said. And destroys relationships.

RIP to Dennis Hopper--someone whose obituary I expected to read many years ago. He was a lucky man to live to 74.

Eh, Hopper was an okay actor and director. I thought Easy Rider pretty much sucked. It seemed like a home movie that a bunch of friends put together one weekend while flush on dope and with a brand new home movie camera that nobody knew how to use. I guess you had to be a teen or twenty something of that era to really get into the message that film was supposed to be sending.

The best thing about Easy Rider was the score by the Byrds. (e.g., "Wasn't Born to Follow".)

Back
Top Bottom