Join Early Retirement Today

Depression Era and WWII Photo collection
Old 09-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Depression Era and WWII Photo collection

If you like to look at American History 1930-40s...enjoy.

Captured: America in Color from 1939-1943 – Plog Photo Blog

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Wow, thanks. I am reading Studs Terkel's "Hard Times" and this picture collection is fantastic.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I saw a few of these featured on some other website recently, but there are even more here. Fascinating stuff, and the color makes them seem even more relatable. With the way that people snap pictures on their cellphones and use apps like Instagram and it's associated filters before posting, a lot of modern pictures have a similar color palette. Interesting to see pictures that look similar to the current ones my contemporaries are posting, yet with the styles of the 30's and 40's.

Thank you for posting the link to these mickeyd.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:12 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Really enjoyed looking at these. I was born in 42, so I can remember some things shown in the pictures. The one thing that brings me a bit of nostalgia are the shots of a downtown, with all small mom and pop stores. The local drug store, the soda shop, the bakery, the butcher, etc. etc.

I remember as a kid going to the movie theater for the day (two full feature movies, plus cartoons, plus news.) I remember having .50 cents and spending the day at the Woolworths stores (A Five & Dime store) and walking downtown by all the stores, and always a stop at the Candy store, where they sold penny candy. Great stuff for a penny. A double dip ice cream cone was 5 cents. Lets see what would that be today? ($2.50) Someone want to figure out that inflation rate? (and that was in the late 40's)

Seeing all the industry, and infrastructure building kind of makes me sad, when I compare it to what is happening now. I also read Terkel's book.
Loved it. Only positive is the working conditions now of what is left.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Great photos! You can almost feel the warmth of the sun, in a way that monochrome photos can't convey.

Speaking of colors, I find it disconcerting that the photo of an African American little boy is captioned as such, while there are no qualifying adjectives on captions of photos of Caucasian children. Perhaps a little too much effort to satisfy historical convention?
Old 09-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Speaking of colors, I find it disconcerting that the photo of an African American little boy is captioned as such, while there are no qualifying adjectives on captions of photos of Caucasian children. Perhaps a little too much effort to satisfy historical convention?
Perhaps the captions are transcribed directly from the original captions? That is what I assumed.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:54 PM   #7

mickeyd, I thank you for these photos. I'm from that era, born 1936, and can relate well to these pictures. I've seen some of these before but always great to visit the past again. It just reminds me that some folks really had it rough in those days. We've come a long way haven't we?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:08 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

Mickeyd, Thanks for the photos. I like to watch old color movies, especially westerns, because the color is so rich.

I seriously doubt that the original captions from the 1930's and 1940's used the term "African-American".
Matthew 6:34 (KJV)
Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
JakeBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeBrake View Post
I seriously doubt that the original captions from the 1930's and 1940's used the term "African-American".
Oh duh. I hadn't thought of that
Old 09-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Great photos. Almost makes you feel you are there.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:45 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Super photos. I remember things being just like this, but I cannot remember when women did so much of the heavy work, though I know they did. And some of them hated to head back to the kitchen after the war.

Nothing like an old barn with a Mail pouch sign painted on it, or a sign like the one for Copenhagen in one of these photos. To a boy from a tobacco state, mucho nostalgia in tobacco. I tended it from an early age, and got paid too.

Notice the little girls in #12? I think their dresses were home sewn from feed sacks, like my girl cousins' dresses were.

Also, check out the middle guy in the Fort Knox tank crew- he looks like Joe Namath!

Question for people from the deep south-in slide 9 they are "chopping cotton". What is this operation, and what is it for?

Ha
Old 09-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #12

Great photos - thanks or posting. Really portrays life as it was in the 40's very well
Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 AM   #13

Nice collection. Those and some more are available at the Library of Congress but it takes some digging to find them.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #14

haha, the photo of the little girls in their feed sack dresses went right by me and I didn't notice. Went back to take a look and you're right. My mom used to make her everyday dresses out of feed sacks. I wouldn't call us poor but back in those days, the late 30's and the war years, people did everything they could to conserve. We lived in a small town and had our own chickens, both for eggs and fried chicken. I used to go to the Farmers Elevator (a grain holding station) with my dad to get feed and he always picked out the sacks with the patterned fabric so mom would have material to make dresses. And they called them "the good old days".
Old 09-03-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Question for people from the deep south-in slide 9 they are "chopping cotton". What is this operation, and what is it for?

Ha
I cheated and did a google. Basically it is just getting rid of the weeds. Seems like they would just call it weeding.

Genealogy's Star: Chopping cotton
Old 09-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Oh duh. I hadn't thought of that
Went to lunch with some folks at Megacorp, as I'm driving home I pass the 'Negro League Baseball Museum', remember thinking that's not right, when it was being constructed. Well that was the leagues name.

Would have been way to Orwellian to change it.

Times change and words change with them.

MRG
Old 09-03-2013, 06:44 PM   #17

My father told very few stories from his childhood in the 30's and 40's small-town Texas. Over time, I came to realize there weren't many stories worth telling. Growing up in a single-parent household during hard times fostered self-sufficiency and a drive to succeed, not nostalgia.

The picture of the boy holding a board carved into a rifle reminded me of one story he did tell with some fondness, probably because it was an escape from the rather bleak realities of his home life. Daddy and his young buddies spent a lot of time in the woods with rifles like that, hunting for the Nazis preparing to attack Nacogdoches.
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown Harry View Post
Daddy and his young buddies spent a lot of time in the woods with rifles like that, hunting for the Nazis preparing to attack Nacogdoches.
Did they defend the Old Stone Fort?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Did they defend the Old Stone Fort?
Of course they did. You never heard of the Nazis attacking Nacogdoches, did you?
No doubt a continuous prosperity, though spendthrift, is preferable to an economy thriftily moral, though lean. Nevertheless, that prosperity would seem more soundly shored if, by a saving grace, more of us had the grace to save.

Life Magazine editorial, 1956
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 07:29 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

No, at least not while we went to school there...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote