Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Or shale, for that matter. In this area, in the Eagle Ford shale and gas play in southern central Texas, fast food joints are *starting* at $10 per hour. Our one restaurant in town, the one that's not open full-time and is always packed at lunchtime (both during the week with oilfield workers and on Sundays with the church crowd), they had to announce that they are cutting back on their hours of operations starting next month. Not because business isn't good enough to support it -- but because they can't get enough people to work those hours.
I work in the Eagle Ford from time to time, depending on the client. It's crazy what's going on. Hotels room in a Holiday Inn in Alice average $300/night, if you can get one.

Unfortunately, there are no shale plays in the Detroit area. Oil in Michigan has been fond in the northern part of the state, but not in any great quantity.

You have to go to the Utica play in northern Ohio to find stuff like that!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 03:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I work in the Eagle Ford from time to time, depending on the client. It's crazy what's going on. Hotels room in a Holiday Inn in Alice average $300/night, if you can get one.
Yup, and RV parks are sprouting up all over the place here for temporary housing.

The woman who is the postmaster in my little town's post office told me not long ago that she and her husband owned a restaurant in a town a few minutes from here until recently -- she had to close because she couldn't keep it staffed or get enough people hired to keep it going.

To an area like Detroit this must seem like a fantastic problem to have -- pretty much anyone that wants to work *can* work -- but it has its own set of problems and challenges as well. A bankrupt local economy, however, is not really one of them.

"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)

RIP to Reemy, my avatar dog (2003 - 9/16/2017)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:49 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
If you think those pictures are hard to look at, try driving around the immediate areas outside of downtown and see the scores of abandoned housed and dilapidated neighborhoods.
My curiosity stirred up by an earlier thread on Detroit and having too much free time on hand, I had researched videos on youtube and found the following video. Your comment motivated me to link it here.

It was made by a layman, not a reporter, and his recorded comments may not be accurate, but the images of the area he drove through were worthwhile for me to see the situation, without being there myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My na´ve friend, even the copper from the street light wiring has been taken.
Also on youtube, there was a news segment where the occupants of an apartment complex that caught on fire complained about looters breaking in to steal appliances, while the owners were evacuating and waiting for firefighters to arrive.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:52 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Photos remind me of Camden NJ 25 years ago. And yesterday...

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Now it's probably not the one you've been reading in the papers. The one being written by folks who have never been here. ...... This is the motor city and dis is what we do.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Some good points, but half-truths too.
Amazing how nothing was written about either the chronic high crime or the decades of corruption, facilitated by essentially complete 1-party rule, which wasted countless $$$ millions from the city itself as well as its pension funds.
Most dangerous U.S. cities - Detroit (1) - CNNMoney
Timeline: Kilpatrick public corruption case from 2001 to 2013 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Detroit FBI Announces Multi-Agency Task Force To Combat Corruption
Detroit emergency manager launches pension corruption probe | Reuters

Nothing kills prospects of serious outside investment like a long tradition of crime and corruption
Old 07-29-2013, 07:40 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Some good points, but half-truths too.
Amazing how nothing was written about either the chronic high crime or the decades of corruption, facilitated by essentially complete 1-party rule, which wasted countless $$$ millions from the city itself as well as its pension funds.
Most dangerous U.S. cities - Detroit (1) - CNNMoney
Timeline: Kilpatrick public corruption case from 2001 to 2013 | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Detroit FBI Announces Multi-Agency Task Force To Combat Corruption
Detroit emergency manager launches pension corruption probe | Reuters

Nothing kills prospects of serious outside investment like a long tradition of crime and corruption
Rest assured all of these points and more are covered daily in the Free Press "comments wars" between city residents and suburbanites - and have been for half a century.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:40 AM   #28

Quote:
Rest assured all of these points and more are covered daily in the Free Press "comments wars" between city residents and suburbanites - and have been for half a century.
I'm well aware of that being from metro Detroit & still reading FP regularly. My reference was to that specific linked article.
I am saddened that it all came to this, and sad that I still sense no real camaraderie in turning things around.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #29

Another take on Detroit issues from a contractor's point of view. A sober lesson in consequences of institutionalized bureaucratic dysfunction.

Bill Nojay: Lessons From a Front-Row Seat for Detroit's Dysfunction - WSJ.com
Old 07-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERhoosier View Post
Another take on Detroit issues from a contractor's point of view. A sober lesson in consequences of institutionalized bureaucratic dysfunction.

Bill Nojay: Lessons From a Front-Row Seat for Detroit's Dysfunction - WSJ.com
Wow! worse than I remember when I lived in Detroit. Here's a snip: "There are over 40,000 vacant houses in Detroit."