Diabetic Cat: Anyone Home Test BG?

Marita40

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
After more than a year of dealing with my 17 year old diabetic cat I'm wondering what to do. His blood glucose is getting harder and harder to regulate. I'm spending so much money and time bringing him every two weeks or so to the vet for curve so that his insulin can be adjusted. His drinking and urine output is getting overwhelming. I have three litter boxes and he dominates all three; my other cat is now refusing to use them. I'm kind of an emotional wreck from all this. I am his sole care taker; I can't travel for work or pleasure due to the demands of his illness and the day to day situation.
Honestly I don't know what to do. My vet thinks I should start testing the blood glucose at home but I am dragging my feet on this. The cat is just so hard to deal with and it seems overwhelming enough to give the twice daily insulin shots.
Does anyone have a diabetic cat? Do you test at home? There are just no good choices to be made in this situation.

We had a diabetic cat and did blood tests and administered shots for over a year before her organs gave out at about 14 years.
Frankly giving the shots is the easy part--especially if you administer in the scruff while lightly pinching. We got our supplies including insulin from Costco.
Getting a blood sample was the more challenging--usually going for an ear prick. Sometimes we got enuf some times not. We probably did not test enuf. You can get an inexpensive blood meter from Walmart.
Does your vet indicate if your cat's disease is manageable.
Candidly, extending treatment may not be the most humane thing you can do for your feline friend. Our vet thought we were nuts treating for a year. Keep in mind this was a private vet but in a university community that has one of the top vet schools in the county.
Never an easy thing to know when more treatment is the best thing.
The clinical thing is not hard if you want to commit to it.
Best of luck.
Steve

We had to have my wife's 12 year old kitty put to sleep this week after he fell into the bathtub and injured his neck. He couldn't walk well or take care of himself.

Whenever anyone has a pet, the best we can ask for is that they have a long, good quality of life. But all pets, like all people, have a specific lifespan. When their health goes south, we just need to accept it and do what's right for them and their families. It's just always so difficult to say goodbye to a family member. But when it's time, it's time.

We also have a 2 year old Maine Coon Cat, and he's quite a character. It's hard to believe that by the time it's "his time," we could be elderly or invalids and it could also be "our time."

We have not had a diabetic cat. I am sorry that you are having to go through this. It does not sound easy.

Bamaman-condolences on the loss of your cat. It is not easy.

Sorry to hear about your problem...

Are there other issues with the cat? A 17 YO cat would probably have more than one issue... or another way, is the cat active and healthy and this is its only problem...

Not sure what I would do if this happened to me... but at some point in time it is probably better to have kitty move on to kitty heaven than keep it here.. only you can decide when that time is here....

If it was me, I would try the testing blood glucose at home and see how it goes. Maybe it will be easier than you think? Sounds like worth a try.

Also, if you want to travel can you board him at the vet?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom