Dial-up

mountaintosea

Full time employment: Posting here.
Anybody on this site still use dial-up besides me? My dial-up is 9.95/mo and dsl extreme would be 14.95/mo. I'm finding since I retired and play on the computer more there are quite a few things I can't do like youtube and other videos. It takes forever to download. Just looking for opinions. I suppose most of you will say "good heavens woman make the change!"

If you're at home a lot, I definetely think its worth it to get Cable TV and High Speed Internet because you will use it so much.

Who is your DSL provider? If it's ATT, you can get DSL for $10 if you haven't had it before and your landline is provided by ATT. It's hard to find the offer on their web site, but it's there and is the same DSL you get for $14.95 otherwise.

I gave up $9.95 dial up AOL for $10 ATT DSL and that's the best nickle per month I ever spent!

I have dial up....

But would love to get a high speed such as DSL or cable... but I can not get DSL unless I change phone companies... and cable it to high unless I get cable TV also...

I could get accelerator dial up, but don't think it would be that much faster...

Who is your DSL provider? If it's ATT, you can get DSL for $10 if you haven't had it before and your landline is provided by ATT.

It's Verizon. Unless there's another way I can go.

I don't have TV. Not ruling out TV but my day seems to go by really quick as it is!

I'm still on dial up when I'm in Virginia, which is a real struggle since I'm telecommuting. In a high tech job.

I knew they didn't have high speed in the community when I moved, but I thought satellite would work, I also thought I was about to retire.

The tech bubble burst, and satellite internet worked terribly, especially for anything interactive. Most of the community has DSL, but I'm just out of reach. Cable has promised upgrade to digital and high speed internet "within 6 months" for 4 years now.

Amazingly I've survived for parts of 7 years like this by just planning my work and using the internet at the nearby lodge when I have to.

It's Verizon. Unless there's another way I can go.

I don't have TV. Not ruling out TV but my day seems to go by really quick as it is!

OK. Well, After many years of dial up, I switched to DSL a few months ago and am very impressed. I would think that if you switch to $14.95 DSL from your $9.95 dial up, you'll think it's a good deal and $5 well spent. I'd go for it!

The speed isn't my main concern. But as an example I was really curious about the second life website that's been mentioned. But I can't check it out unless I have DSL or Cable etc. Some Internet radio tends to buffer a lot cutting up the sound. Bloomberg is out of focus. I guess you get the picture.

youbet,

So did you keep your dial-up until the DSL was up and running? Email will have to change. (As you can see I'm not very tech savy.)

I didn't buy a computer until spring of 2000. I kept that thing until 2005 until I was "encouraged" to update everything. I'm not sure when DSL finally arrived in these parts. (I live in the mountains.) But apparently it has!

Last edited:
I did keep my dial up for a one month overlap, but never once used it from the day DSL was up and running. DSL installation was no problem, and I'm not a techy either.

ATT did issue me a new email address, but I haven't used it since AOL allows free access to your account when you switch to another internet service provider. I just kept and am using the old AOL address I've had for many years. If your dial up provider doesn't do that, just keep both for a month or two and use the time to switch over.

I dragged my feet for a long time before switching, but now that I've done it, I'm glad. This really is better.

The speed isn't my main concern. But as an example I was really curious about the second life website that's been mentioned. But I can't check it out unless I have DSL or Cable etc. Some Internet radio tends to buffer a lot cutting up the sound. Bloomberg is out of focus. I guess you get the picture.
It's cutting out because of the slow speed. It's buffering because your dial-up speed is slower than the play rate, so it has to buffer. With DSL or cable, except in some very extreme cases your download speed will stay ahead of the radio.

I really think you'll find it much better to use, with very little transition to get it working, for a minor cost. Plus you won't tie up your phone line while using the internet. If you've got a 2nd line for dial up, DSL or cable might wind up being cheaper.

The cheapest I can find DSL on ATT is $19.95. How can I get it for less from ATT? I have an ATT land line.

Last edited:
On occasion when traveling I am on this forum at dial up speeds. I could not bear it. You will be amazed at the difference.

Email will have to change.

I highly recommend GMail (gmail.com). Get a gmail account, and you'll never have to change your email address again. They have a great interface, you can access it the same way from anywhere.

Hate to admit it, but we're still on dial-up. The good news is.......starting tomorrow we hook up with the ATT DSL for $10/month. :)
We've been using peoplepc with the accelerator, but it's still pretty lame.

I've been on broadband so long that my original company has been acquired four times ;)

I decided to try out old dial-up a few years ago by plugging my laptop in and logging in using my MIL's dialup username and password. About 5 minutes later I gave up.

The intertubeyouvideonet is just too darn multimedia and adcontent rich for dialup.

"accelerated" dialup only helps if the content you're looking at is highly compressible. Most content that takes a long time to see is already compressed. So it might poof things up by 10-15% on average, but nothing that'd excite ya.

I'm getting used to dial up speeds again on my wife's iphone. It is convenient to be able to find the old restaurant address, mapquest a location or check movies & hours while traveling. But it isn't blazingly fast, just convenient. Plenty fast enough for email.

When I visit my Mom she has dial up .I start the computer then go and make coffee. I click her password and make some toast . I click a web site and wash the breakfast dishes .While waiting for a web site I balance my check book . I get a lot done but none of it is internet related.

Hate to admit it, but we're still on dial-up. The good news is.......starting tomorrow we hook up with the ATT DSL for $10/month. :)
You guys are making me envious. We pay $31.20/month for DSL and it's a lot cheaper than RoadRunner or any other broadband alternatives.

Of course my FIL swears by his $4.95/month Wal-MartConnect.com and says that he can't read the online newspaper that fast anyhow. But he only bought a 56 KBPS modem card after [-]his 28.8K modem card dried up and crumbled to dust[/-] ISPs stopped supporting most dial-up connections.

If ClifP and I have to read more stories of DSL for less than $25/month, we're going to start doing our daily Hawaii weather reports again...

Just signed up for ATT DSL for $10.00 a month, with a 12 month contract. I was paying 9.95 monthly with Netscape. Does anyone know if I can use Outlook Express with DSL?

Back
Top Bottom