Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2009, 08:53 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

The minute you walk out of a jewelry store with a 1 carat diamond it has just lost 65% of its "value". And that is if you know where to sell it. Sadly, i see ads in CL all the time with people saying 1 carat diamond purchased at "upscale jewelry store" Appraised at: $5000 will sacrifice for $4000. Unfortunately, most people don't want a "used" diamond as an engagement ring. They might run across some person who might bite on it, but more than likely they will lower the price several times, then eventually take it to a pawn shop which will give them a few hundred or they will end up just keeping it.

I have a tip for guys looking to get engaged. Hang around a pawn shop, wait for someone to come in with a nice diamond and let the pawn shop guy give them some lowball offer. When they storm out insulted, tell them what a pretty diamond it is, double the offer and walk away with a diamond at 10-20% of retail, go get it reset in a custom setting and your wife-to-be will think you are brilliant!
Hopefully anyway!
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Well crap. My wife has a 2 carat diamond that I hope would keep us from eating cat food in our later years. I guess I might have to sell the old Porsche.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:00 AM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
Well crap. My wife has a 2 carat diamond that I hope would keep us from eating cat food in our later years. I guess I might have to sell the old Porsche.
You might check with Martha for suggestions on painting that old Porche.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 12:54 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post

I was thinking about a Craigslist ad: "Buy pre-owned Porsche, get 2-carat diamond free".

But then, I read Calmloki's post, and I am not sure anymore. Should one switch the deal around? "Buy diamond, get free Porsche?" I know nothing about resale value of diamonds or Porsches.

Wait a minute! I don't even have a Porsche, only a 95 minivan.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
-I think tennis bracelets look cool if you have enough; are they still popular? (And why are they called tennis bracelets, anyway?)
Here is one story:

What are Tennis Bracelets?

Ha
Old 07-27-2009, 03:14 PM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I was going to say, I thought tennis bracelets had some connection to Chris Evert. I have a stunning tennis bracelet custom made for me over 20 years ago as a surprise from my husband(the wife of the jeweler was a patient of his). I never wear it, I like my retro costume jewelry. My future daughter in law(wherever she is) will get some lovely pieces. I keep trying to light a fire under my son. He just rolls his eyes and has put an ocean between us.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

I remember they became popular around that time--now I know why! Thanks, Ha.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:26 PM   #28

Glad to see more than one Mom on here is gently encouraging their son to get married, but we all are getting the eye-rolling gestures I see. Well, at least I'm not alone.....

Yup, the guy who stole his soon-to-be ex-wife's wedding ring he bought her--and paid a thousand or so long ago for it--got something like $200 for it. I told him he should have kept it...he eventually did meet someone else and she didn't need to know it was "used." I mean, it could have been re-set totally rather than take a couple hundred for such an expensive diamond originally.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:38 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Glad to see more than one Mom on here is gently encouraging their son to get married, but we all are getting the eye-rolling gestures I see. Well, at least I'm not alone.....
Yes, indeed, what are Mothers for? At least mine seems to find me somewhat amusing since he doesn't get to see me too often.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 06:53 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Yup, the guy who stole his soon-to-be ex-wife's wedding ring he bought her--and paid a thousand or so long ago for it--got something like $200 for it. I told him he should have kept it...he eventually did meet someone else and she didn't need to know it was "used." I mean, it could have been re-set totally rather than take a couple hundred for such an expensive diamond originally.
OK, this does NOT meet my criteria for romance!! If he loves the future somebody-else and is her knight on a white horse and she is the love of his life, he should buy her a ring within his budget with his mind focused on just her. If he just resets the diamond that he bought for his first wife, I think the second wife would have every reason to feel slighted. Maybe that is just me but in that position I would prefer a ten cent ring from a gumball machine to the biggest diamond on earth that was originally bought by my true love for somebody else. There is such a thing as taking LBYM too far and this is it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 09:08 AM   #31

Well, I would hope he wouldn't be stupid enough to tell her it was a "used" diamond. I get your point as a woman, of course. I'd be insulted as all get-out and not marry the guy if I knew he was giving me his ex-wife's diamond (hence, why tell her?). I was just thinking ways of how to save some money for this guy. Maybe it is taking the LBYM thing too far, but the men would have to respond to that thought.
I had a guy I dated give me the same cologne his ex-wife used, and I gave the bottle to an employee I was so insulted by it. So, yeah, from a woman's standpoint I get it.
I've the feeling, tho, that men will see this differently. Maybe?
Old 07-28-2009, 09:14 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Oh, OK, I see what you're saying now. I think we are on the same wavelength when it comes to romance! I would have hated to get that cologne that the guy's ex-wife uses, just like you did.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:27 PM   #33

Frankly, I wasn't sure what the message was unless it was he missed his wife, which definitely did not go over with me. He got the door pretty quickly after that one, by the way. And, yes, he was stupid enough to tell me it was her scent otherwise I wouldn't have known. Too dumb, anyway...geesh!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:36 PM   #34
Gone but not forgotten

Guys tend to do what works . If bringing women flowers makes the woman happy they will keep doing the same thing with every woman . It isn't meant as an insult . It's just the way guys are wired .My late husband's ex wife loved jewelry so he tended to give me the same type of jewelry until I steered him to something more my style . I did not feel insulted . I was happy he made an effort .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:18 PM   #35

One way to get better value is to upgrade - hehehe but of course that is not something you probably want to do!

We had an old engagement ring, and the jeweler appraised it and took the diamond and gave us the face value (just about what we paid for it) and let us add that back into the new ring we purchased... i think that old diamond was just over a carat. the new one is not larger, just better quality and a different cut.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:30 PM   #36

Maybe my situation was different from yours, Moemg, but I get what you are saying. This dumbcluck not only told me he made a listing of all the skin care items I had in my bathroom, but I will guarantee he told his ex-wife what they were and made sure she knew it was a list of my stuff. He was a game player. He fantasized being a Don Juan, and wanted women to fight over him I think. Not happening here, sorry... And he did go back to his ex. All I could think of when I found out is "poor gal" and "she must be out of her mind"! Needless to say, I was happy he was gone forever, at least, out of my life.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:03 PM   #37

When dating my now DW was offended that I had a half full (she saw it as half empty?) bottle of massage oil. Dumb me, should just have got a new one.
Survived that, happily married for years now.