Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-29-2015, 10:28 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Dunno. I have been burned when an item sold for so little that after paying eBay their cut, including on shipping, it cost me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I got burned once by offering free shipping (another strategy that in theory, sells at a higher end bid). Ended up only and 1 bidder and cost of shipping was more than selling price. Now, I don't give free shipping, but do the no reserve, starting at a penny. Whether this is sound or not, there's probably no perfect approach or else there won't be all the options.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2015, 11:29 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
In general though, i don't think this hurts the final auction price much, if at all. The only time I'd be concerned is if the item didn't have enough demand (in which case I'd list the item as buy it now).
It makes me wonder what the impact this would have on sniping programs. The one I use informs me that my bid was unsuccessful as soon as someone bid's more than the maximum I submitted and at that point I need to take action (increase bid) if I want to continue. Not sure if it would continue to monitor the bid at that point to see if it drops, I've never seen it happen.

Old 12-30-2015, 07:40 AM   #23

I'd use it to my advantage. Before the extra high bid, you didn't know how high the other guy's auto bid would go. Now you do. I'd have my brother put in a bid for just under that guy's max bid!
Old 12-30-2015, 09:30 AM   #24

I've had quite a few auctions where the item reached final price well before the end. In these cases I think nobody sniped the final bid because it was already at fair market value.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Old 12-30-2015, 10:45 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoguy View Post
I've had quite a few auctions where the item reached final price well before the end. In these cases I think nobody sniped the final bid because it was already at fair market value.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I think Zinger was asking would a snipe program properly handle a high retracted bid or would the program stop monitoring. That's a good question and since I'm now an ebay snipe bidder this has me wondering too.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:03 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I put something up on ebay, starting bid 99 cents, no reserve. Item probably worth about $150.

With less than 24 hrs to go, only 1 bid. Though there are 4 watchers.

I sure hope some buyers snipe bid the last moments. Otherwise, somebody is going to win big at my expense .

Maybe I was too bold by not putting a reserve price. At least I didn't offer free shipping .
Old 03-31-2017, 04:25 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
For me, the deciding factor to block the bidder is as I look at the history, he waited almost 3 days to retract. Had he retracted say after 5 minutes then no harm no foul. But after 3 days either that's very inattentive or something else.
I have had this happen a few times too and have had the same reaction and response. However, in hindsight (and since the reason is always exactly the same) I suspect it may happen because eBay requires you to choose pull down menus to categorize issues; and although it may not be exactly factually accurate, it's quite possible it was simply the best choice when requesting the retraction.

It's impossible to know for sure, but it could be the 'something else'. Thankfully it has always happened well before the auction closes.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:42 PM   #28

Quote:
I put something up on ebay, starting bid 99 cents, no reserve. Item probably worth about $150.

I sure hope some buyers snipe bid the last moments. Otherwise, somebody is going to win big at my expense .

Maybe I was too bold by not putting a reserve price. At least I didn't offer free shipping .
Yep, this is the downside of your strategy - sometimes you get zapped. I'm not an eBay Pro but I have probably sold about 100 items - I always put a in a reserve as well as a buy-it-now. Who knows what ultimately works better - it is probably heavily dependent on the type of merchandise and the price range too
Old 03-31-2017, 05:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Yep, this is the downside of your strategy - sometimes you get zapped. I'm not an eBay Pro but I have probably sold about 100 items - I always put a in a reserve as well as a buy-it-now. Who knows what ultimately works better - it is probably heavily dependent on the type of merchandise and the price range too
Hopefully, there will be some last hour/minute bidding. If not, a lesson learned.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:18 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

You say it's worth $150. The market may say otherwise.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Dunno. I have been burned when an item sold for so little that after paying eBay their cut, including on shipping, it cost me.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Don't think that is possible. The eBay costs are a percent of sales, unless you screwed up the shipping cost and under priced it.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:30 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
You say it's worth $150. The market may say otherwise.
Yeah. That's why I put down no reserve and let the market price the thing according to who well that sells.

My fingers are still crossed that tonight being Friday, the folks on the auction watch list come home from a long day's w*rk (those not retired ), and are in a shopping mood when they get an email reminder that they still have time to bid on a "steal".
Old 03-31-2017, 05:46 PM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

I block a buyer when they cancel, retract or don't pay more than one time.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

eBay also takes a cut of the shipping charges too, so it would be possible to make almost nothing.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:57 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

We have stopped using Ebay , maybe us but it seems geared to protect the buyer more so then the seller .
Son bought a new computer for Christmas but my wife bought him the same one . The deal he got on Amazon made it worth keeping and selling on the open market ( Both of these were new packaged ) He sold on Ebay as a new computer ( was never opened ) got his price . Then the customer complained he received a beat up used computer . What my son got back was a beat up used computer , not the one he sold. The customer had placed a used computer in the box the new one was in and said this is what he received . My son argued with Ebay he showed seriel did not match and such but got nowhere . no more Ebay.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Yeah. That's why I put down no reserve and let the market price the thing according to who well that sells.

My fingers are still crossed that tonight being Friday, the folks on the auction watch list come home from a long day's w*rk (those not retired ), and are in a shopping mood when they get an email reminder that they still have time to bid on a "steal".
I wish you the best, but Sunday nights are usually the best to end an auction. Friday and Saturday nights don't fair as well. Those are date nights.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:06 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
eBay also takes a cut of the shipping charges too, so it would be possible to make almost nothing.
But if you price the shipping correctly, you won't lose money, which was my point.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
We have stopped using Ebay , maybe us but it seems geared to protect the buyer more so then the seller .
Son bought a new computer for Christmas but my wife bought him the same one . The deal he got on Amazon made it worth keeping and selling on the open market ( Both of these were new packaged ) He sold on Ebay as a new computer ( was never opened ) got his price . Then the customer complained he received a beat up used computer . What my son got back was a beat up used computer , not the one he sold. The customer had placed a used computer in the box the new one was in and said this is what he received . My son argued with Ebay he showed seriel did not match and such but got nowhere . no more Ebay.
What kind of feedback did the buyer have prior to the purchase?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
But if you price the shipping correctly, you won't lose money, which was my point.
In my case (above) I set the shipping to be calculated based on the buyer's location to minimize the cost to the buyer. Since eBay takes a cut of the shipping charge as well, if the selling price is too low, you can actually lose money on the deal.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:06 PM   #40

Quote:
In my case (above) I set the shipping to be calculated based on the buyer's location to minimize the cost to the buyer. Since eBay takes a cut of the shipping charge as well, if the selling price is too low, you can actually lose money on the deal.
It's a percentage, even if your shipping is calculated. Sort of why the NFL penalties inside the 20 are half the distance to the goal. You can never reach 0.